View Full Version : What would you do ? FIC / TR ?

GonvilleBromhead
15th Sep 2003, 21:58
Hi all,

Just curious to get other views on this, and I appreciate the type rating threads have been flogged quite a bit recently.

However, I'm considering either the FIC or TR as a way forward right now (yeah i know, not the only one), basically curious as to what you lot would do. For a few thousand more (no I haven't got that sort of cash willy-nilly but crikey I've come this far !!) you could obtain a TR, but any use without the hours ??? Something like S360 / ATR42 possibly.

I always wanted to instruct anyway but financially having now got the fATPL, well, you all know.
I know, it's that old gamble and none of us have got crystal balls and I'm not looking for anyone to give me a definitive answer, those of you who have been here for a while will know I'm old and ugly enough not to be after that.

But your opinons would be interesting as I know I'm not gonna be the only one at this point in training / unemployment.

Basically;

i) TR with low hours, any good ?
ii) Better off doing FIC and getting good experience / hours in structured environment, BUT, will we all need a TR as well anyway ?

Cheers all,

GB.

Edit: Sorry Smartcol, just read your Emerald post, didn't mean to duplicate.

SupaFly
16th Sep 2003, 06:50
OK, here's my personal thoughts on the best way to go after fATPL:

1. Use any contacts you have, talk to the head of your flight school, friends of friends of relatives

If there's one thing I've learned in the past two years of job searching its all about who you know

2. Send out loads of CVs (targeted and personalised)

Hey, you never know and paper is cheap...

3. Try your local parachute/glider clubs

If you're lucky you can get some free flying and keep the hours turning over in the mean time

4. CTC ATP Scheme

7 grand all in so not cheap, but if you get through then a very lucrative deal. The odds of paying the money and not getting a placement are relatively low as the first stages of assessment are free.

5. Flight Instructing

A traditional first stepping stone on the commercial ladder and you will eventually make it through the ranks albeit slowly. 5-6 grand but a good chance of eventually finding meaningful work. I would ask around and find a school that often hires its FI students, do my training there and impress them! Especially if you think you'll like it and can look on the bright side, ignoring the fact you are being underpaid and exploited.

6. Ryanair Type Rating

If you can get through the selection as I believe it is quite an oversubscribed program. Very expensive but I hear they have a good track record of hiring those that were initially selected and then did well on the course. Good salary but first you sell your soul.

7. Get a job

Bit of an off the wall idea, I admit. Find the best paying job you can, things might get better in a few years and if not at least you can start paying off your last foolish spending spree and be thankful you didn't waste even more money like your friends. Keep sending those CVs of course and buy stocks in the big paper manufacturers as the schools are still churning out wannabes.

8. Other type rating - e.g. Bond Aviation, BAC, Streamline/Emerald

The risk to reward ratio starts to increase with these companies who dangle an associated airline in front of you but make no promises. Think how many pilots this airline is likely to need and divide that by the number they train in a given period and you hae a rough idea of your odds. Now multiply the cost of the rating by the odds of failure and compare to your possible starting salary. Think of how long it will take you to pay it back (not working as a pilot of course) before you leap. This ones extremely tempting but just as dangerous.

9. Just give away all your money to the nearest bank.

Slightly less chance of success compared to no. 8 but corresponding decrease in uncertainty.

Interested to hear how other people would stack up the various options and what other options people have considered.

Good luck whatever you decide!

foghorn
16th Sep 2003, 16:20
Good post Supafly.

GonvilleBromhead
16th Sep 2003, 16:48
Indeed it is a good reply SupaFly, thanks.

I'm fairly certain that the FIC route is the way forward (for me anyway, always thought it would be) however all the recent talk and trend of the SSTR route does make me wonder and at least think about it....

smartcol
17th Sep 2003, 20:19
Gonville,

I am in exactly the same boat as you and with exactly the same decision to make with regards to TRTO.

If you would e-mail me at [email protected] and we can exchange some information I may have found some you haven't and vice versa.

Look forward to hearing from you and discussing our futures.

SC