PDA

View Full Version : Iberia to charge for Meals on Shorthaul flights

Aksai Oiler
14th Sep 2003, 18:49
Yesterday I was flying from Los Rodeos to Madrid and could not help notice a story in El Pais (the main Spainish Daily) that shortly Iberia would be charging for meals and drinks on it's European flights from Spain - however only in the economy cabin.

"A partir del próximo enero, el cliente de Iberia que viaje en clase turista a Europa, si quiere comer o beber en el avión, tendrá que pagarlo. La competencia de las compañ'as de tarifas reducidas ha forzado a Iberia a acelerar el plan de reducción de costes hasta 2005, previsto antes del verano, y a adelantar alguna medida, como la de cobrar por los menús, que serán diferentes y con posibilidad de elección. "

As Iberia and British Airways have this very cozy relationship and the chance of an Alliance with KLM now is sailing away - could this be an omen of BA's future ?:yuk:

Globaliser
18th Sep 2003, 17:10
For this non-Spanish reader, Google and Babelfish provided:-
"As of the next January, the client of Iberia that travels in tourist class to Europe, if wants to eat or to drink in the airplane, will have to pay it. The competition of the companies of reduced tariffs has forced to Iberia to accelerate the plan of reduction of costs until 2005, anticipated before the summer, and to advance some measurement, like the one to receive by the menus, that will be different and with election possibility"With BA making a positive virtue of "included food and drink" in its competition against the low fare airlines, it would be a very embarrassing about-face for it to go down this route. I can see a sticky end to the BA/IB codeshares unless this service differential gets resolved.

Boss Raptor
18th Sep 2003, 18:33
A great shame as IB's seat pitch, cabin service and food put them streaks ahead of many other airlines including BA (the rubbish they serve in Economy going to Madrid is a joke, 'deli' or whatever they call it).

Although it has to be said I never really needed a meal LON-MAD but it was always excellent which is more than can be said for the slop that is served in Economy Long Haul these days!

As a passenger I would certainly object to having to pay for teas, coffee and soft drinks. There has to be a halfway, Air Europa another Spanish carrier gives you a 'goodie bag' with cookies, crisps etc. fantastic and all that is really required on a 2 hour flight, the drink is free except for spirits (fair enough).

MerchantVenturer
18th Sep 2003, 19:04
I encountered KLM's new European inflight 'refreshment' regime a couple of months ago when flying from AMS to GVA and back.

A polystyrene-type beaker of lukewarm tea or coffee (I had one, my wife the other so we knew both were cold), one small cheese or meat 'filled' roll and a soft drink was our lot in economy; no more intoxicants for the plebeian with KLM in Europe any more.

It didn't matter on this short flight but I made enquiries of KLM and was told the sustenance would be similar on longer flights within Europe.

I would prefer to have had the opportunity of purchasing something more satisfying, but with KLM you accept their meagre offering and go hungry, unless of course you decide to take your own picnic hamper on board, and I am sure that would go down well at check-in.

Aksai Oiler
19th Sep 2003, 01:09
Perhaps I was a little misunderstood - I feel this is where Ansett are heading with Iberia being used to test the waters.....

Perhaps in the near future BA cabin crew will end up selling food and drink in Economy - just like EasyJet & Ryanair.

Oops, did I mention Ansett ....

BAe 146-100
19th Sep 2003, 02:45
Hi,

I think that is a terrible move for a flag carrier.

BAe 146-100