PDA

View Full Version : Degree or no degree

flying_phonebox
14th Sep 2003, 10:32
Howdy everyone.

I'm a pilot foreign to the states (but legal passport holder) and was wondering what the deal is with needing a 4 year degree to be able to get a decent flying gig? Is it that much of an issue????

Oh and if anyone would be able to comment for conditions at the moment for real low hour guys getting jobs (any jobs except macdonalds) that would be awesome!!!!

cheers

zerozero
15th Sep 2003, 01:24
The truth is the four-year degree requirement is a relic from the old days when the airlines got their pilots almost exclusively from the military.

Just officer types, you know?

So if you populate one organization with one type of people then they tend to recruit people just like themselves.

But, as years passed, the military couldn't keep up with the demand of the airlines so more and more civilian pilots were recruited but the degree was *almost* always a requirement.

The rationalization was/is the degree proves good study habits; the ability to focus on a long term goal and succeed; etc.

Right now, in my humble opinion, I think the degree is just there as another reason to narrow the field of applicants. Just like requiring 1000 twin turbine PIC *or* 500 twin turbine PIC *or* holding a 737 type even if you don't have any operational experience.

They're all bogus requirements but it's a super-competitive market right now and the airlines can pretty much get exactly what they want.

Jetblue *prefers* Airbus experience. Guess what? They're getting it.

Fly safe.