PDA

View Full Version : TYPE RATING or INSTRUCTOR RATING

smartcol
13th Sep 2003, 21:10
Like many of those out there who have qualified and are not among those of the halo sponsored variety I am stuck for a job.

Having worked for AERAD making charts for 10 months, I am thoroughly bored. I have come to the crossroads where we will all reach unless we are lucky.

An instructor rating beckons, but my worry is how many others are thinking about this. There are only a few schools in the Uk where you can have a reasonable chance of a job afterwards and some students to actually fly. USA is not an option anymore as I already have a CPL. I am not sure about Australia, SA or Canada, does anyone know if there are VISA requirements there ?

I am also considering a SHORTS type rating and then presenting myself to an airline. Is this advisable ? Even if I have the rating, I still have no experience.

Any advice would be of great help to me. And any suggestions of good flying schools, and also any places where I can do a SHORTS type rating ?

Thanks guys and happy flying ...

redsnail
13th Sep 2003, 21:37
There are several issues here.
The main one is value for money and what do you want to do.
I wouldn't get an instructor's rating if you just want to build hours. You won't do your students any favours.
How much does an instructor rating cost?
How much will your next IR renewal cost?
Add them together and come up with a number. (Add at least 20% for stuff ups and delays)
Can you live on instructor pay?

Now, how much will a Shed rating cost? Good question. BAC Express and Emerald do them. I think you are looking at about £8-12,000. (Depending).
While both companies are in a bit of flux at the moment with the loss of the mail contracts they have still been recruiting. I don't know when Emerald are going to run another TRTO and I am not sure what BAC Express are up to either.
Will you get a job out of it? Probably unless you are a complete numpty. The only "if" is when. Both companies are losing Captains and FO's to bigger turboprop/jet operators.
Advantages.
Turbine aircraft, JAR 25.
Multi crew experience.
IR renewed (multi crew only though)
More night flying that you can poke a stick at (once employed)
Every one moves on to bigger toys and freight always needs to fly regardless of what's going on.
Disadvantages.
Training can take a while as charter/sheduled flying comes first.
May have to wait a while for a start.
Type not that commonly used any more.
Pay ain't brilliant. (~ £14K plus allowances for the first 6 months)

I forgot to mention, if you want to work in Australia then you'll have to convert your licence to an Australian one. Not that big a deal compared to coming the other way.
You'd also have to check out the Immigration details. I think there may be a working visa you can get depending on your age.
Be warned, there are a lot of low houred pilots chasing jobs there too. Best you can hope for in oz is either instruction or bush/scenic flying etc. No jet/turboprop jobs for low houred guys. (with the exception of those going through cadet schemes).

smartcol
14th Sep 2003, 00:45
Thanks Snail, from what you have written, it seems you are veering on the side of Type Rating ?

Instructors Ratings are about £6000, I am in the fortunate position where I can still live on the pay, it is for the experience and I would not be taking things lightly with regards to students, I want to be a good instructor, so that when the airlines come calling I stand out.

I will look into Emerald, I think BAC is not running them for a few months at least.

Thanks Again ...

redsnail
14th Sep 2003, 03:40
I have done both.
I did an instructor rating in Oz. Realised I didn't actually enjoy instructing that much and I was going to starve on the wages. Ended up bush flying for a couple of years.
I did a type rating in the UK as it gave me the ATPL and the IR in one hit.
Only you can make the judgement. I have presented the options and some things to consider.