PDA

View Full Version : Px

kumul1
13th Sep 2003, 18:47
I don't believe it. They actually want to work.

Trully the land of the unexpected.

Friday, September 12, 2003

Air Niugini cuts down engineers working hours

By JACQUELINE KAPIGENO and JULIA DAIA BORE

A REDUCTION in working hours for aircraft engineers to save about K250, 000 is raise safety concerns.
The president of the Aircraft Engineers Association Philip Kurivo revealed this to the National yesterday.
The acting general manager for the engineering division Graham Hills on Aug 11 this year introduced the change in work shifts for engineers from 12 hours to eight hours. For the past seven years, aircraft engineers have been working on a 12- hour shift.
Under the new change, two crews combine to work Monday to Friday from 8am to 4:30pm. There are no weekend shifts.
Mr Kurivo said the change meant there was not enough time for engineers to work on aircrafts, especially the routine checks.
"Working hours have been taken off, with engineers not spending enough time to work on an aircraft.
"In the past engineers worked on an aircraft in a hangar for a week. Now engineers only work the day shifts each week day and take the weekend off, leaving the aircraft in the hangar until Monday morning," he said.
He also said with the reduction of working hours, there is a serious safety concern.
"The airline is trying to meeting flight schedules and with the limited time to work on aircrafts, there is a safety risk."
According to Mr Kurivo, the Air Niugini management had approved the change with an aim to save money to pay certain engineers.
He refused to name the engineers, but confirmed they would be getting their salary increment in the next fortnight.
The engineers have disagreed with the change and have met with Mr Hills and the airline's chief executive officer Rod Nelson several times to discuss the matter. However, Mr Kurivo said the management would stick to the new change.
"The engineers think the 12 hour shift should be reintroduced. For Air Niugini to operate regular air transport, it is required to set up manpower ready on line.
"Air Niuigini is not saving costs, it is incurring more when it cancels flights and hires aircrafts from Airlines PNG to run its routes. The company also spends more money booking passengers into hotels."
While sympathising with the travelling public, especially tourists, Mr Kurivo, urged the minister responsible and other concerned leaders to investigate the matter.
Meanwhile, Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Don Polye and the Air Niugini Management has denied the engineers claims and blamed the delays on the aging F28 aircraft fleet.
Mr Polye said Air Niugini's increasing delays and cancellation of flights are largely due to the airline's very old fleet of aircrafts that require high maintenance.
He said the national flag carrier has just begun to recover from the disasters being faced world-wide in the airline industry with the Government's injection of K40 million recently for its " flight path to recovery".
Air Niugini Chief Executive Officer, Rod Nelson said, "The main cause of the recent delays and cancellations is the ageing F28 fleet, particularly the F28-1000 series," reiterated Minister Polye's statements he said.
"These aircraft are now very high maintenance and very difficult to keep in service," Mr Nelson said.
He added that last week's introduction of the two additional Dash 8 -200 aircraft beginning in November will help significantly to deliver services over the peak December/January period and will enable the F28-1000 to be exited in February next year.

Copyright © 2003 [The National Online] Private Policy

:confused: :confused:

quick edit to remove dead space. W

chimbu warrior
14th Sep 2003, 08:06
Did I miss something....................those very old F28-1000's that require very high maintenance.............will now have less time spent maintaining them. Sounds like longlong logic to me.

Any word on who got the Chief Pilot slot at PX?

Taildragger
19th Sep 2003, 06:00
Just another day in Paradise.........!!

Minosavy Masta
19th Sep 2003, 08:16
S N A F U ............:}

dwarfhunter
19th Sep 2003, 10:03
Perhaps Is don'ts understands thes Englishs languages verys wells.
PS a lot of these engineers had been previously sacked by Air Niugini for basically being useless, but the court forced Air Niugini to take them back so they could sit around the hanger a night drinking SP and doing no work. Changing their hours will only affect their sleep time, not the quality of maintenance.

QF skywalker
19th Sep 2003, 10:36
did i miss something here ? since when have PX had Dh8-200's ? where do they fly them ?

someone care to enlighten me ?

404 Titan
19th Sep 2003, 11:37
QF skywalker

They have had Dash 8-200 since 1997 I think after they retired the Dash 7’s.

:)

Torres
19th Sep 2003, 11:46
Retired the DHC-7's?

The ones Iambaki Okuk got for "free"?

:}

OzExpat
19th Sep 2003, 20:28
Yep Torres, that's the ones!

QF skywalker... according to my copy of PX schedule nr 94A, valid until 25 October, the Dash-8 (singular) is scheduled to all of the following places, at various times each week...

(List in alphabetical order, not schedule sequence)

Chimbu
Goroka
Hoskins - may now have been reclaimed by the F28s.
Kunaye
Mendi
Popondetta
Tari

... and POM, of course...

kumul1
20th Sep 2003, 05:06
Don't forget Wapenamanda, which got shorter and shorter on paper every year because some idiot wanted compensation for the ever growing tree on finals.
I believe Air Agony are getting 2 more Dash 8s, stirring up a fair bit of movement in the ranks.

OzExpat
20th Sep 2003, 18:54
Wapenamanda? :eek:
That place hasn't been on anyone's schedule for at least the last 2 years...

kumul1
21st Sep 2003, 02:54
What happened???... Did the tree finally get too tall.?:confused:

Sharpie
21st Sep 2003, 08:37
:D
I think that warring tribes threatened to shoot aircraft and personnel! That seems to have restricted ops somewhat.

Also hear that someone wants Wap upgraded to F28, That sounds a bit like the proposed Tari upgrade to 744 standard. Both carry(ied) some 2400 pax each-way per year!

o1genesis
22nd Sep 2003, 02:17
Just curios

I heard rumour that Mt Pago went off and buried Hoskins under ash. Ozexpat talks about PX into Hoskins.

Has Hoskins reopened? Or was it ever closed? It's been a while since PNG so I'm not up on the latest but still interested.

OzExpat
22nd Sep 2003, 16:48
That's the way I heard it Sharpie. If I recall correctly, an incident along those lines involved the scheduled PX service. I heard from MAF, some time ago, that even they haven't gone there for many years. Never a dull moment eh? :{

o1genesis... Yes Mount Pago went up last year and, despite the fact that the wind was blowing the opposite way, Hoskins airport was closed. That situation existed for a very long time and, in the interim, the WNBPG rebuilt and enlarged the old strip at Talasea. Scheduled services by PX, using DHC-8 and the APNG DHC-8, operated for a time.

The strip was closed for a while, some 6 months after opening, due to non-compliance with CAA requirements. These were subsequently met but I'm not sure if the strip was opened thereafter. Hoskins was reopened while that issue was going on, still using DHC-8 aircraft. After maintenance to the T-VASIS, the airport was reopened to F28 operations but I don't know if PX has yet taken advantage of that.

(WNBPG = West New Britain Provincial Government, if anyone is interested.)