PDA

View Full Version : PIC Time

the raven
13th Sep 2003, 15:15
At some point in my aviation career I will be faced with the task of hour building to 'un freeze' my ATPL.

Am I right in thinking that PIC time is an essential part of the hour building process?

In which case is flight instructor time classed as PIC even though a student would be doing the majority of the flying?

If not, what is the advantage of becoming a flight instructor as a way to build hours.

Probably a dumb question but I just don't know the answer.

Thankyou

YYZ
13th Sep 2003, 18:31
If your the instructor you are the PIC when with a student, look back in your log book at when you were a student, you could only log hours as dual whilst the instructor was logging at PIC.

Enjoy.

Knightsky
14th Sep 2003, 18:21
Instructing is a good way to build hours and you will be logging PIC whenever airborne with a student. Remember however that JAR now require 500 hours multicrew time before they will unfreeze the ATPL. This requirement however will usually be fulfilled when you are in your first airline type employment in the right hand seat. The only bearing being that you options will be a little limited until the ATPL is gained. In many environments however it will have little impact as you would find bonds etc with the airline would take you well beyond 500 hours multicrew period. Plus the fact if your moving on to something substantially bigger you will need the 500 hours to become profficient.