PDA

View Full Version : "From the horses mouth.."

covec
1st Dec 2001, 18:43
Currently resigned to flying in airliners as SLF until someone gives me a shot at FO, I have a (selfish?!) vested interest in the continued existence of as many airlines as possible.

The point: I paid £123 for 4 pax return Edinburgh to Aldergrove with a "low-cost" airline. Another well known regional quoted me £453 for the exact same itinerary.

I have (did?) have friends with the more expensive regional and now feel very guilty - but look at the cost differences! The well known regional did offer food/drink etc and was far more flexible to last minute changes by moi. I do not always chase the cheaper fare - flexibility is v important as trying to get to a Scottish airport in our winter months is not a good game.

Best of luck to you all - and that sentiment is not offered selfishly........

Cheers.

kriskross
3rd Dec 2001, 16:46
covec,
Did you really miss the lack of food and drink between EDI and BFS??? Would the cabin crew have had time to do the service? Last time I did the flight it took 23 minutes, airborne.

aidybennett
3rd Dec 2001, 17:15
Flexibility is one thing and may be so vital that you (or your company) may have to / be willing to pay three or four times the cost of a low-cost air fair to get it. But the food and drink part-When I flew with Manx to Isle of Man from Mancester (for a FO interview, didn't get the job, but thats another story) we were served coffee and a sandwhich, which was actually very nice but on a thirty five minute flight not exactly neccesary, and even at inflated airport prices would have cost no more than Four Quid or so, so the cost defrential hardly seems worth it. (I'm not commenting here on Manx themselves, merely using them as a presummably standard regional airline. I've never before flown internally in Britain)
Having said that, I too want the airlines to survive so someone can employ me so if people or business are willing to pay the costs, then great!

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Dec 2001, 17:30
Most Low Cost carriers DO offer fully flexible tickets which are just as good as their full service counterparts. A fact often overlooked...

In nearly every case the price is the same or cheaper. Hence the very high numbers of business Pax on some flights. Buy some actually nice sandwhiches from Boots in the terminal and allow £1.50 for a coffee onboard - hardly rocket science. No air miles or fancy lounges though...

[ 03 December 2001: Message edited by: Wee Weasley Welshman ]

quaerereverum
3rd Dec 2001, 18:48
Actually, even if you travel with low-cost carriers, you don't necessarily have to forego the pleasures of the business lounge (eg - free booze, food/snacks, peace and quiet, etc).

Just sign up with Priority Pass (www.prioritypass.com), and you can get access to a biz lounge at almost every airport in the world. There are 2 types of membership: per-usage (ca £60pa + £15 each lounge visit), or unlimited (ca £180 pa). If you plan to use the service more than 8 times per annum, then the latter is substantially better value. It might seem costly, but the upside is that you won't then have to shell out for a sandwich/wine/etc!

Although I have BMI Diamond Club card, which I use when travelling with Star Alliance partners, I also have a Priority Pass for those occasions when I have to fly somewhere not served by Star.

Thought you might find the info useful.

(ps - I am in no way connected with PP, just a satisfied user)

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Dec 2001, 19:02
Another approach to flexible flying on low cost carriers, followed by some business travellers I know:

You buy your return ticket for the most likely flight. Cost, say, £29 as opposed to £159 with a "real" airline.

But you get to the airport a couple of hours earlier than expected and want to fly home on the earlier flight.

Easy. Just tear up your £29 ticket and put it in the bin. Buy a new ticket for the earlier flight. Oh dear, so maybe you don't get such a good deal this time, maybe you pay £69 for the replacement ticket. But £29 + £69 is still cheaper than the £159 with the "real" airline.