PDA

View Full Version : FAA Class 1 vs JAA Class 1

AFTA99
13th Sep 2003, 07:03
I'm currently flying commercially in the states. I have my JAA "extended renewal" booked in a couple of weeks at Gatwick and was wondering just how extensive it is.

I'm going to bring all my medical records but I'm only in the UK for a week, do they give the medical there and then or is it decided upon when you are gone? If I have an "issue" will I have an opportunity to get it resolved in a few days or am I going to have to get into a transatlantic debate?

Many people done this?

Flying Mechanic
13th Sep 2003, 07:11
I converted my FAA class 1 in May(at Gatwick)I was in and out in a hour and half!!It seemed a very easy process,I had no medical records with me at all.I was abit worried about my hearing( I've been flying Islanders!)in one ear,but no problems at all,they said I had great hearing.I am sure you will sail through.

And yes they give you the medical certificate before you leave,just like in the states.

AFTA99
13th Sep 2003, 07:21
How long did they spend on your eyes, was it just a vision/colour test or did they use drops, flashing lights and the like?

Flying Mechanic
13th Sep 2003, 18:44
Pretty extensive on your eyes,all sorts of flash lights,colour checks,distance checks,but no drops.

floppyjock
18th Sep 2003, 16:45
Thank you Flying Mechanic

I had my Class 1 done yesterday at Gatwick and I mentioned I had an FAA class 1 done 2 years ago. They took a photo copy of it and refunded me £165 as I would not need to have the EEG and chest X ray done again.

So if you have one take it along.

Floppy

Flyin'Dutch'
22nd Sep 2003, 02:26
Uhhh,

Are you sure you had an EEG and a Chest Xray for your FAA class1?

They are not required for that.

FD

Hawker-rider
13th Oct 2003, 10:43
As a sidenote to this discussion, I am also a European pilot working in the US, and I have found a few JAA-approved medical examiners here throughout the US. I just got done renewing my JAA-medical not being a big deal at all over here, and took all of 2 hours max. as compared to Holland where it would have taken me half a day, and cost me a heck of a lot more then the us$ 110 i paid for it over here.

Pm me if you want info