PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth Airport MD Resigned - Must have been due to the cashpoint

eurostar builder
12th Sep 2003, 21:39
Bournemouth Airport MD Resigned - Must have been due to the new cash point machine...from local paper
............................................................ ................................

BOURNEMOUTH Airport has been rocked by the surprise resignation of managing director Glyn Jones.

Mr Jones, 45, has been at the helm for just over four years, a period which has seen unprecedented growth at the Hurn complex - as well as one or two high-profile setbacks.

But he says his departure is entirely amicable and that he is simply keen to do other things, after putting in place a raft of changes which have made Bournemouth one of the UK's fastest-growing airports.

Mr Jones took charge in July 1999 with the intention of waking a "sleeping giant" up to the challenges of the 21st century, and has enjoyed many high-flying successes.

Passenger numbers have doubled to reach the 500,000 mark, with further growth of around 20 per cent predicted this year, boosted by the introduction of two new routes by leading budget airline Ryanair.

The terminal has been extended and refurbished, with state-of-the-art new check-in facilities, a new bar and departure lounge, the car park revamped, and permission for a new terminal with a capacity of 1.25 million passengers per year secured.

But some parts of the ride have been bumpy - none more so than in February this year, when Ryanair's takeover of low-cost rival Buzz saw a string of new European destinations axed, leaving people who had snapped up 55,000 tickets in the lurch.

Overall, however, Mr Jones believes he has left a very positive legacy.

"I'm particularly happy about the really solid relationship we have built up with local councils and businesses, and - together with the infrastructure improvements - I think we have really set the airport up for the future," he said.

"You always want things to happen quicker, but I always said my aim was for steady, responsible growth which did not cause air quality or noise nuisance problems. I think we've achieved that, and that strategy will continue.

"I've had four happy years here, and just feel it is time to do something different."

Palmair travel supremo Peter Bath said he was "devastated" by the sudden news, while Graham Keddie, managing director of the regional airports division for owners Manchester Airports Group, said: "While sad to see Glyn go, it is very much business as usual at Bournemouth Airport."