PDA

View Full Version : ATC Recruitment

topdrop
12th Sep 2003, 10:09
For those that are interested:

Airservices Australia will be accepting applications on Saturday 13 September, 2003 for ATC training courses starting in early and mid 2004 at the Airservices College in Melbourne. If you have skills/qualifications in aviation, physics, maths, computer technology, engineering or related disciplines and would like further information please visit: www.airservicesaustralia.com/employment/index.htm

To be considered for the February 2004 intake your application must be received no later than Sunday 21st September 2003. All applications must be submitted online through the website listed above

Java
12th Sep 2003, 12:54
I know that the airservices website says that you have to be prepared to go anywhere once your training has finished, but do most people find they get some choice. Situation is such that I would not really be able to move away from sydney or melbourne at this stage. Any feed back from some ATC people apprecaited.

Cheers
Java

SM4 Pirate
12th Sep 2003, 15:24
Java,

The training college is in Melbourne. Both courses take about 10 months at the college.

Two streams are currently taking applicants, Tower and Enroute.

If you choose room with a view with nothing to do stream; be prepared to move like crazy... so that wouldn't suit.

Enroute; is either Melbourne or Brisbane based. About 1/2 on each course go to either centre. But not always; some courses of 20 have had 14 go North... Usually you are 'recruited' by a centre so you know where you are going before you start.

Good luck.

Bottle of Rum

suunto22
13th Sep 2003, 09:36
Java,

If enroute is your choice you are recruited for a specific location and normally to a specific sector.

If tower is your choice then you will definately move thru at least three towers in training all over the country. Don't expect more than probably 6 to 8 weeks notice of those locations either.

Any q's just ask.

Suunto

Winstun
15th Sep 2003, 05:35
And who pays for this mickey mouse training course? :rolleyes: ......the unsuspecting taxpayer perhaps? :ooh:

OpsNormal
15th Sep 2003, 08:53
I suppose if the 'unsuspecting taxpayer' wants some semblance of safer air travel then they'll have to wont they?

ASA is still a government owned organisation after all.

Simple, really.:hmm:

tobzalp
16th Sep 2003, 12:16
No no it is soley paid for by Whingestun. 100%. Noone else at all. Thanks for the job mate.... /me goes off to work to look at an empty screen and rub my hands with glee evrytime I get to say 'NOT AVAILABLE!' to a pilot therefore keeping him in the air longer and therefore generating more money for us to spawn more of the devils that we have become ..wuwahahaaaahaha :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: := :yuk: :{

AirNoServicesAustralia
19th Sep 2003, 08:49
We should all agree to ignore Winnie the Pooh as he has never added anything to any discussion. He has a chip on his shoulder about ATC and thats not going to change till one day he needs us to save his incompetent back side.

By the way, most controllers I have come across overseas find Australian Controllers to be well trained and have the platform laid care of the college to handle whatever is thrown at them. The college was very demanding for all trainees who went through, and generally a proffesionally run establishment. As always though you learn more once on the job than you do at the college. First thing you learn in the field is to tell numb nuts like Winstun to F**K off and hold till his attitude changes.

Oh and Winstun ASA pays a dividend to the government. It makes a profit, so the taxpayer doesn't pay a cent to the running of the college. More and more the college is training controllers from overseas and the possibility is for it to become an income producing establishment. Next time you want to slag ATC, get your facts straight.

Fact = College run by ASA - ASA makes profit - ASA pays profit to Government - Government pass on profit to taxpayer via services provided.

Bottom line the college c/o ASA pays the taxpayer.

Hows them apples Pooh boy.

Winstun
23rd Sep 2003, 13:23
We should all agree to ignore Winnie the Pooh as he has never added anything to any discussion. So only by joining your cute little agreeable group do I add anything...:rolleyes: ...typical Aussie humdrum....:zzz: First thing you learn in the field is to tell numb nuts like Winstun to F**K off and hold till his attitude changes. ....:ooh: ....typical response you would expect from a third rate Oz government employed unaccountable bludger...:sad: Bottom line the college c/o ASA pays the taxpayer :p :p :p Is this a sick joke? Friggin bone please.

squire
24th Sep 2003, 14:27
Personally I've always been quite happy with ATC in the main and at times grateful, didn't know they were so teste tho !:p

GWYN
24th Sep 2003, 17:18
As your own handle implies, AirNoServicesAustralia:

Quality, and attitude of controllers - generally good

Attitude to staff and customers of Air Services: absolutely appalling, and cavalier.

Could you, honestly, recommend working for such a bunch of cowboys?

Barra Tuesday
27th Sep 2003, 14:53
Was interested in "coming home" there for a while; even got called a couple of times!! Finally when we got down to the nuts and bolts, got told couldn't go here, couldn't go there - couldn't do this, couldn't do that and in the end I couldn't be bothered!!!!
Seems there's always a reason for AsA hierarchy not to do things; in fact got told that they didn't see that they had a problem with staffing and that they didn't really want experienced controller's because they could "train their way out of any shortfall" (this directly from HR Manager in ML)
In the end it doesn't matter really - like it where I am and the pay and conditions are better. I will be home one day - but only to retire!!!! I read with interest updates on NAS!!