PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Or Static Rollover?

bugdevheli
12th Sep 2003, 04:51
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/169400/Crash1.JPG

Thankfully occupants OK . They may not have seen this

Hilico
12th Sep 2003, 05:14
Neither. It's the inevitable result of a 206 trying to sling-load a lorryful of lumber. Everyone knows you need at least a Twinstar!

Vfrpilotpb
12th Sep 2003, 15:47
On the subject of rolling , whilst in the low hover and free from the ground, what would happen if a sling load of whatever managed to get the main slinging wire/lanyard over the front or rear of the skids of the airborne heli, would this induce a swinging arc back to the ground by the heli, with the load remaining where it was, with the heli becoming the conker,

I know it is unlikly but since the last rollover debate, it has been in my mind to ask?

Thomas coupling
13th Sep 2003, 03:05
VFR: do you remember the thread about 18 months ago re: two australian 206's that were tied together for a camera stunt and one of them strayed away a little too far. Perhaps they were doing the conker dance you are on about :D

God you must be having a quiet day:bored:

John Eacott
13th Sep 2003, 06:02
I know we do some stupid things down here, but I thought the South Africans laid claim to that one ;)

Thomas coupling
13th Sep 2003, 06:11
My sincere apologies John, you are of course quite correct:

Helicopters collide ; Cape Town, South Africa
Two Bell 206 helicopters operated by Win Helicopters collided at the V & Waterfront helipads today, causing extensive damage to both aircraft. Both pilots sustained light injuries. The helicopters were tied together with a rope/cable attached to there cargo hooks and were experimenting for a proposed stunt for a local TV show, when the respective rotor blades touched, resulting in both aircraft dropping the short distance from the low hover. CAA has withdrawn Win Helicopters Operating Certificate, subject to the findings of the investigation

:eek:

Nigel Osborn
13th Sep 2003, 07:43
Don't know what to call this incident but I think 'lucky' will do!
A chief pilot was doing some sling work off the rim of a cooling tower in a Hughes 500 in Victoria. In order to not blow the hookers on the rim too much, he had a person in the back with a long pole to position the end of the strop over the load while the 500 hovered to the side over the tower. Unfortunately as they hooked on, a gust moved the 500 to the side, thus pulling the load off the rim allowing the strop to catch on a stud on the skid. With this heavy load well to the side, it put the 500 miles out of lateral c of g and being so heavy, the 500 started dropping down the centre of the cooling tower. A bit like Don Quixote, the crewman in the back fended off the cooling tower walls with his long pole. When the 500 reached the bottom, some 200 feet or so down, the load came off, so the 500 immediately shot upwards and out of the tower. On landing on the grass near the tower and switching off to go to the toilet, they saw the main rotor blades were some 6" shorter. Otherwise all was well.
Was this static or dynamic rollover????:confused: