PDA

View Full Version : North Dene heliport

FlyingForFun
11th Sep 2003, 22:56
In a couple of weeks time, I will be flying to Beccles (from White Waltham).

I guess it's a sign of not doing enough flying when you start planning your trips a couple of weeks in advance. But I'm not doing enough flying, and I've begun planning this trip already. Nothing particularly difficult, assuming the weather is VFR.

But I was wondering about an IFR arrival. If the weather turns out to be bad enough to need do do an instrument approach, the nearest approach shown on my chart is at North Dene, a heliport just north of Great Yarmouth.

The problem is, I can't find any information about North Dene. It's not in Pooleys, it's not in my Jeppesen manual, and I can't find it in the AIP. Obviously, with it being a heliport, I won't be able to land a C172 there. But would I be able to use the instrument approach for a cloud-break, then route visually to Beccles? Are helicoptor instrument approaches roughly similar (e.g. similar descent gradients) to aeroplane instrument approaches? Where could I find out more information?

I have to admit that I'm probably not current enough at instrument flying to be in the air if the cloud-base is low enough that I'll actually need to fly an instrument approach, so this is mainly a theoretical question, but I'm curious to hear from any locals with inside information!

FFF
--------------

baldwim
11th Sep 2003, 23:08
Found North Denes in 2001 Pooleys. Runway 28/10 - 480m grass but do not allow fixed wing traffic (they did some years ago).

Instrument approach is probably an NDB one - no indication of anything else.

I am ceratinly not a local but drive past quite a bit and have often thought how convenient it would be to land there. Norwich is next best option for that part of the world I think.

Pianorak
11th Sep 2003, 23:15
FFF - Have just done a Google search for North Denes Airfield - fair amount of info. Perhaps even what you are looking for?

Justiciar
11th Sep 2003, 23:26
I've just done my IMC at Norwich and I've not heard of any published approaches for fixed wing at North Denes, though there is an NDB "ND" there. North Denes is quite busy on an average day (the helicopters fly over my house!) and I dont suppose they would be happy at anyone using the NDB for let-downs other than in an emergency.

Norwich to Beccles is no further really than from North Denes and you have the option of NDB/DME on either runway as well as an ILS on 27 if you decide to land there.

The route down from Norwich to Beccles can be followed down the A149 if necessary! If you don't know it, Beccles can be quite difficult to spot in that there are alot of disused and partially built on runways which are unserviceable and the active runway is a short strip of grass with a longer strip of concrete located to the south and east of the old WW2 airfield. If you land on 27 you touch down on the grass.

BRL
11th Sep 2003, 23:30
Hi there. Look here (http://www.pilotweb.co.uk/content/airfields/airfield.aspx?af_id=232) for more info. I will send this to the Rotorheads forum too. keep an eye on it there too.
Paul.

Camp Freddie
12th Sep 2003, 00:57
North Denes airfield is owned by CHC Scotia, it is a private airfield, helicopter traffic is allowed to visit PPR must be obtained by phone in advance.

Instrument approach is for approved operators only i.e CHC/Bristows, therefore the NDB plates are not readily available.

hope this helps

Vfrpilotpb
13th Sep 2003, 16:11
FFF,

Dont take this the wrong way, but you said yourself you were not really current in IFR, then dont go there, I would be very sad if I had to read something bad about you!;)

Mars
13th Sep 2003, 23:35
At one time when Beccles was a North Sea support base (before operations moved to Norwich) there were at least four CAA Approved (discrete) GPS approaches to the field (might be somewhat of a surprise for some US members - SASless take note).