PDA

View Full Version : being an ATCO in Cape Town ATCC

jack4577
11th Sep 2003, 22:46
Can anybody tell me what it is like to work as an ATCO in Cape Town ATCC. Is it a nice place to work , is the work very complex with particular reference to Approach . And what kind of a social life can one expect!!!!

REAL ORCA
12th Sep 2003, 01:31
You can send a message to our dear friend Goldfish Jack for all the hotties. You will get the info right from the horse's mouth,or fish's mouth in this instance. Enjoy!

B Sousa
12th Sep 2003, 03:58
Having no clue as to the answer to your real question. However, I have been there and IF you have a good job and IF your making good money and IF you are single you are probably in the nicest spot in the world....
Stones throw from the Wine Country, great Restaurants, and you can get remote in an hour or two drive.

4granted
12th Sep 2003, 04:26
Knew a great ATCO by the name of Manzoni in CT Intl.....always a pleasure to be under control...
4g:cool:

tired
12th Sep 2003, 06:11
Ja, where is Greg these days???

Jack - the trouble is you'll have to work with people like Goldfish Jack and, well, what can I say.... ;)

12th Sep 2003, 08:56
There was a thread on here a while ago about CT-ATC and the complexity of working in the TWR with only one runway and all the circuit training and VFR flights mixed in between.

ACC is probably a bit boring. Not too much tfc and more than enough airspace. Most tfc coming/going to and from JNB.

I would live in CT any day. Nice city with some really nice beaches. Beautiful, and ohh so friendly women. If only ATNS could get their act together.....

bigmanatc
13th Sep 2003, 03:30
Greg is in the middle east....Abu Dhabi.

CT has new acc and app pool managers , last time I looked they were ok guys....maybe ATNS is getting it right.....hey Mackerr......

Goldfish Jack
16th Sep 2003, 02:22
Hi Jack

Send me a personal mail with all the questions u got and I will try to answer them.

It is not a bad part of the world to live in - property is hellish expensive and so is booze. Apart from the odd mugging ( after all we are in Africa!) things are not too bad.

As for the centre, looks like we are in for some OK times with the new pool managers - not that the previous ones were bad at all. Got a new centre manager as well - ex Durban/Joberg - starting 01 Jan.

The airport has to be the most shambolic in the world, with a management that has NO IDEA whatsoever how to run an airport, but we manage to get the aircraft moving. (Slowly but surely)

Oh and if you ever get here and do not make it in the tower, do not panic - you never know where you might end up - the chances are good they might even send you on an approach course instead !!!!!! (Dont laugh - it has just happened - some budding ATC could not hack tower, so as a reward was sent on an approach course - I wonder if this will work out ?? - Probably not)

Yeah it is not a bad place. Worked this morning, spend this afternoon admiring talent at the beach and off to the Waterfront to drink beer and get mugged.

flyer75
16th Sep 2003, 20:04
Hi Guys..

Do you know if a European could get a Work permit In CT esaily or is difficult?
I used to live there as a youngster and go there quite regularly on holidays..
I am pilot JAA and FAA but without a job and thought what better to go to CT for a while and enjoy life..
How long is a course to become a Controller and any possibility of a job?

I would appreciate any of your comments..

Flyer75