PDA

View Full Version : Ecg Abnormality

19FFF
11th Sep 2003, 22:42
Hi All,

Just received notification from the CAA that my recent ECG shows a minor abnormality:
'ECG shows moderate voltage criteria for LVH'
NORMAL SINUS RHYTHM

I know that this refers to left ventricular hypertrophy but little else.

They require an assessment by an approved cardiologist.
The last ECG (2 years ago) had exactly the same computer assessment but no call from CAA.
Anyone any experience/knowledge of this.

I am 38 yrs old, no family history of heart probs and keep fairly fit with exercise bikes/rowing machines.
Any help/advice much appreciated if there are any AME type people out there.....

Captain Airclues
12th Sep 2003, 00:35
I can't comment on the medical aspects, but I would recommend that you go to the CAA cardiologists. They are very fair and it is free. Use the search function on this forum to find out about the various tests that they will do.

Airclues

QDMQDMQDM
13th Sep 2003, 00:23
The significance of a machine's report of mild to moderate LVH may not be very much in an athlete. LVH on the ECG is a reflection of increased wall thickness of the ventricle, i.e. increased cardiac muscle bulk. This can occur in a variety of conditions, including high blood pressure, and athletes often show a degree of LVH too, as their heart is used to working hard. It can also be seen in cardiomyopathies, such as HOCM. In your case, it is most likely due to being very fit.

An echocardiogram, or ultrasound scan, of the heart will reveal all. I wouldn't sweat too much about it.

QDM

19FFF
13th Sep 2003, 03:46
Many thanks for the reply QDM.

Looking on the black side, would a diagnosis of LVH remove my class 1 medical cat ? Presumably it is dependent on the degree of ventricle thickening ?
I have an appointment with a cardiologist on Wednesday so no doubt all will be revealed at this stage.....

QDMQDMQDM
13th Sep 2003, 06:45
LVH as a result of athletic training and in the absence of other echocardiographic structural heart abnormalities is a benign phenomenon and I would be surprised if that were to affect your medical status.

QDM

19FFF
13th Sep 2003, 16:47
QDM,

Thanks again for the reply.

Regards
19FFF

Cosmo
14th Sep 2003, 22:14
QDM, you realy are a gem to this forum! My ECG, taken recenty, also indicated (at least the machine was offeirng it as an option) that my left chamber is slightly enlarged. It was the first time anyone mentioned it, which got me worried. I'm also rather active as regards sports training. I tend to work out 4-5 times per week, mostly strenght training.
Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that some of us appreciate it that you take the time to reply to our questions. It helps relieve ones anxiety.

Cosmo

QDMQDMQDM
16th Sep 2003, 06:11
Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that some of us appreciate it that you take the time to reply to our questions. It helps relieve ones anxiety.

My pleasure. Thanks for the note. :D

QDM

19FFF
18th Sep 2003, 15:21
Just as a follow up for those who may be similarly affected in the future.
Visited a CAA approved cardiologist yesterday for an echo and further ECG. All completely normal thank goodness. ECG once again showed large voltages in V5, V6 which he put down to being slim and fit......basically not alot of fat on my upper torso so ECG was picking up large voltages.
Apparently the auto ECG assessment is renowned for throwing up LVH irregularities quite regularly.
Regards
19FFF

flybubba
19th Sep 2003, 08:27
I believe I had the same type of "abnormality", or something related to your problem. ECG showed "poor R-wave progression in V1 to V6", which software interpreted to be LVT (or RVT, don't remember which). My medical examiner got nervous and referred me to a cardiologist, who did Echo and stress ECG. He said that I was fine; that the "poor R-wave progression" wasn't significant in my case. (I'm also trim and exercise alot). Needless to say, it caused some sleepless nights for me until resolved. Since then I have read up on ECG's and have also learned that there is something called the athletic heart syndrome, which can also give some "strange ECG's" (pardon my non-medical terminology).

QDMQDMQDM
20th Sep 2003, 20:08
Actually, in LVH you tend to get very good, too good, R wave progression across the chest leads, but the general point is right -- there are all kinds of irrelevant findings on the ECG of normal people.

QDM