PDA

View Full Version : Avro RJ100

Dash8100
11th Sep 2003, 17:27
I'm going to fly on this plane with Swiss. Can anybody share their experiences as passengers on this airplane, please? How does it handle turbulence etc. Is this the airplane which produces high aerodynamic noise when putting out flaps?

marlowe
12th Sep 2003, 04:36
You seem to be doing a lot of travelling with Swiss on several types of a/c in october how many tickets have you won??????

Final 3 Greens
12th Sep 2003, 14:31
Is this the airplane which produces high aerodynamic noise when putting out flaps?

Yes, between 18 degrees and clean. It's not quite as noisy as it's predeccessor the 146, but still noticeable.

Dash8100
12th Sep 2003, 21:09
Marlowe:

I've won two businesstickets with Swiss and I'm trying to choose wich airplanes to use them on :)

5711N0205W
16th Sep 2003, 19:49
I had a quite horrible flight in one on Friday from MAN to CDG stuffed into a middle seat, can't recommend them.

BAe 146-100
19th Sep 2003, 04:44
Hi,

I went on a 146 last year with Aer Lingus. It was a good flight but like Final 3 Greens said it is quite noisy.

BAe 146-100

PAXboy
19th Sep 2003, 06:24
I have done long sectors (for this a/c) in them when DebonAir was doing LTN~MUC. Normally, I use them LHR/LGW/LTN ~IOM. This has been various models over the past 13 years or so.

They are a tight fit but I'm of average build and don't notice on the 50min sectors. The long sectors were tolerable, it was their awful time keeping that hurt!

Turbulence? Nothing to talk of, they steer around any mucky stuff!

The noise when the flaps are shifting is loud but takes only a few seconds. During descent, I use it as an indication that we are now pretty close to the field and to stop reading and look out of the window!

White Knight
7th Oct 2003, 23:55
Just to be pedantic paxboy - Debonscare didn't fly RJ100's, but the old 146..
Dash 8100 - it handles turbulence just fine, believe me I've flown them through some HORRENDOUS/AWFUL weather and come out just fine:cool: :cool:

spagiola
8th Oct 2003, 01:12
A few things to keep in mind:

Comments here about 146s are pretty much equally applicable to Avro RJs, from a pax perspective. You'd really have to be an expert to know which you were in.

A key factor in comfort levels from a pax perspective is whether the airline has 5-abreast or 6-abreast seating. Cabin width of the 146/RJ is more than the DC-9/MB-80/717 but less than the 737/757. So 5 abreast is phenomenal, but 6-abreast is cramped. Swiss has 5-abreast, so no problems there.

Yes, you'll get the flap extension noise. It doesn't last long.

If you want to see the scenery, you either need to be all the way forward or in the back half of the aircraft. The engines block the view from a few rows aft of the first row to a little before the mid-point of the cabin (depending on the specific model). Overhead bins are also smaller in this area, because the spar of the wing passes above the cabin.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

(For lots of 146/RJ info, go to Smiliner.com (http://www.smiliner.com))