PDA

View Full Version : Qantas 777?

FQ Phone Dofus
11th Sep 2003, 14:58
ok ok ok, I've put on my flak jacket and I know this has been done to death but...

I read recently that due to some of the shortfalls with the A330 (ie. overhead lockers and collapsing floor) that there is some truth in the matter of perhaps replacing them with the 777.

Anyone know anything of this?

Rumour over.

The_Cutest_of_Borg
11th Sep 2003, 15:20
I heard that QF approached Boeing about 6 months ago asking about some sort of buyback/swap deal similair to what they did for SQ. This time Boeing said no.

The A330 was put initially on the trunk domestic routes where it could not be turned around in less than an hour. No real point having all those extra seats if you lose a flight or two a day due to high turnaroud times.

I believe it is a moneymaker on longer routes (like what was QF thinking..?) and hence the push to get it flying more Intl and less domestic. Hence I believe the 767 will be around for quite a while, but mainly trunk domestic routes.

Short answer... no 777 for QF.

Anti Skid On
11th Sep 2003, 18:09
The B777 is a mighty fine piece of equipment, but it is also a very costly aircraft too ($ for dollar in comparison to the 744) and my view is that this is also a factor.

fire wall
11th Sep 2003, 19:54
True staement Anti skid, but the 777 also have half the engine maintanence costs and greater economies in kg/gnm with a cabin which carries close to the #'s of a 744....at least when looking at the 300 variant in a high density config. but then this limits it operational sphere where as the 744 tend to go and go and....go too bloody far if you are flt crew!
Conversely, the 330 is as cheap a chips with regards to purchase price (perhaps cheaper if the rumours of what QF paid/were given them for have any resembelence of truth) but they sting you on the spares...along with the cost of retooling your engineering dept etc.......more to it than meets the eye......suffice to say that a certain East Asian 1 world carrier are already into the extended life programme for the twin bus......and there in lies another story.

Post script...the 300ER due out late (?) next yr may change things yet again re economies of scale

halas
11th Sep 2003, 21:26
330's should be around for a while.

From what l understand.......

Airbus condition when purchasing the A380, is that your crew are Airbus experienced, and the owners are established customers.

Qantas didn't have to look too long at the Airbus catalogue to find the aircraft they disliked the least to satisfy their unique requirement from Airbus, being the only non Airbus operator to book into the A380 programme.

So until the 380 turns up, don't get your hopes up about saying good bye to the 330, unless the deal falls through all together.

l hope some 777's turn up on the Oz register so l can at least have CASA acknowledge the type rating in my licence, which they refuse to do now.

halas

PS: 777-300ER deliveries begin around March 2005, at least in the sandpit anyway.

(edited for typo's)

Feather #3
11th Sep 2003, 21:35
halas ,

They tried the same with the HS-125 and B707-338C; "not on the register".

I VERY strongly pointed out that they were acting, if effect, in restraint of trade, by denying me a professional qualification. They are now on the licence, albeit in brackets.

The hassle you may have is that the type hasn't been on the Oz register yet.

Roll on harmonisation [sorry, just read the JAR's; cancel that!!]

G'day :hmm:

FQ Phone Dofus
12th Sep 2003, 08:04
Thanks for the replys, the reson I bring it up is due to reading an internal airline magazine, which stated the A330 has not lived up to what It was purchased for. Even with that rerouting of must A330 to mel/syd - per cityflyer they still go U/S more than the 737/767 counterpart.

As a result a replacment seems to be getting looked at, at the moment the INTL 767-300 and A330 are going to be swapped for a couple of months but in the long run are going to be phased out.

Seems like QF wants to move to only two types on DOM service and three on INTL, mind you this is before Australian Airlines domestic moves into full swing.

Buster Hyman
13th Sep 2003, 21:32
Off with the Cityflyer stickers then....:rolleyes:

halas
13th Sep 2003, 23:09
FQ

As QF are new to this manufacturer, they are realizing exactly what every other operator of their aircraft has found out.

They aren't usually delivered on time, and they don't meet advertised specs.

Oh, and they go tech quite a few times more than their competion types too.

Good luck!

halas

Sheep Guts
14th Sep 2003, 06:38
Didnt QANTAS operate 4 AIRBUS A300 B4s for 16-17 odd years. All be it ex Australian aka TAA? Surely they are not totaly without some knowledge and Communication with Airbus Industries....

Regards
Sheep:)

GA Driver
14th Sep 2003, 11:00
halas

They aren't usually delivered on time, and they don't meet advertised specs.

Just reading this months AA and noticed that Airbus have topped the sale/deliveries chart. If these problems are fairly regular, wouldn't companies who are having these problems avoid purchasing more of these aircraft? (ie. CX and EK)

Also with regards to the floor needing strengthening, QF are far from the first operator of the A330, surely some other operator must have had this problem and I would think that Airbus would know about it. :confused: :confused:

Cheers.