PDA

View Full Version : JFK airport

Johnsail
11th Sep 2003, 05:56
I need to get from Terminal 1 JFK to terminal 9 JFK to make a connection and have 1hr 50 mins to do so.

Inbound flight is VA from LHR and connection is AA to San Juan.

Q1 Is time sufficient to make the connection?

Q2 Is baggage automatically forwarded to the internal flight or do we have to collect and re-present?

All help appreciated.

PAXboy
11th Sep 2003, 06:11
Possibly! ;)

If the traffic lanes are clogged, it can take the inter-terminal bus (circular route) 30 mins to make that journey. If you are slow through customs as well ... then it might be tight. There is really no way of telling.

Baggage: No, as you have to clear customs. I don't know of a way around this but others might.

By the way, the short form of Virgin Atlantic Airways is their flight code: VS. So confusing that the topic was debated here the other week. Now, back to business.

This is the official JFK site (http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jfkframe.HTM) Look for Getting Around the Airport and then the Map of the Central Area.

As the bus starts at T1 and finishes at T9, if the roads are bad - you might want to try walking across. I HAVE NOT DONE THIS!!!! I'm sure some of the other regulars will be along soon. Unless their inter-forum bus has got clogged by too many posts. :}

Johnsail
11th Sep 2003, 06:52
Many thanks PAXboy. Just what I was looking for.

LITOW
11th Sep 2003, 22:11
It also depends on which VS flight you are travelling on. If its the early morning VS45 then you may make your connection but it will be close. However if its a later flight then be prepared for conjestion in immigration. Several international flights arrive in JFK T1 around the time the VS3 and VS9 arrive and it can take upwards of an hour just to get through.

You will have to collect your baggage and re check it, minimising bag size to a carry on will save you time. Also with the higher level of security in the US it could take a while to get to the departure lounge once you reach T9.

I don't mean to spread doom and gloom but if possible it may be better to re schedule your San Juan departure to allow more time.

I have tried walking to other terminals in JFK - its better to take the bus.

Hope this helps

Johnsail
12th Sep 2003, 01:11
Many thanks LITOW. Inbound is VS45 on a Sat.

Have just spoken to someone who has walked Terminal 1 to Terminal 9 - they are next door.

So fingers crossed we'll make it.

Incidentally have just been advised of a schedule change that gives us 1hr 30 mins to make the reverse connection. This is Sat evening @ 19.00 hrs so hopefully we'll make this as well?!

Departures Beckham
12th Sep 2003, 03:10
Does anyone have any recent info on the AirTrain (terminals to Howard Beach subway and Jamaica LIRR)? I remember reading some months ago that it's launch was delayed after a train derailed (during testing) and the operator was killed. I assume it still isn't running a public service.

Final 3 Greens
12th Sep 2003, 14:36
Johnsail

LITOW calls it spot on.

Using Kennedy, in my experience, is like stepping through the mirror in Alice in Wonderland.

Everything seems bizarre and takes twice as long as it should on a good day.

On a bad day, who knows!

DistantRumble
12th Sep 2003, 21:29
Too many things have to go right to make that connection from experience;

make sure your onward sectors are changeable to the next day flights if you can.

PAXboy
13th Sep 2003, 05:16
Does anyone have any recent info on the AirTrain Not working up to 15th August and no sign of imminent start. Of course, it would not have been working on the 15th due to the power failure :p

I looked carefully at the construction work upon arrival (8th) and on 14th/15th and it looked far from ready.