PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle's "Rumour" New Airline

Deancross12345
10th Sep 2003, 22:24
I keep hearing rumours all over the place that there is an ATR42/72 operator going to start from ol' CAX early next year?

Any info guys/gals?

ALLMCC
10th Sep 2003, 22:32
Could this be ONIVA?

Frankfurt_Cowboy
10th Sep 2003, 22:58
I doubt it, Tony Commacho (is this his real name or is he former club singer?) Said it would be based in the Southeast of Northwest, OK, technically it is in the Northwest but he'd have used a phrase like "@rsehole of England" to describe Carlisle, surely. ;P

niknak
11th Sep 2003, 06:04
Oniva were looking at having a base at Norwich, and I understand that due to the very favourable terms they'd get there as opposed to STN or Luton, it's still the favourite.

As for Carlisle, it too near Newcastle and the west coast rail line for any economic air services to operate from there.

ecj
11th Sep 2003, 17:40
The main runway requires resufacing together with an increased PCN before schedules would be viable.

The present navigation facilities NDB/DME cannot be considered as ideal, and I would suggest that at least a localiser would be needed; better still CAT one ILS.

Security would not be cheap either.

In all, an expensive exercise to upgrade, with return on capital being far from certain.

Would European money be available for the project ?

ps. Frankfurt Cowboy final comments are less then helpful, and shows a less than mature approach. There would appear to be serious gaps in his knowledge of this part of the UK.

Mouser
11th Sep 2003, 17:53
Could it be that LPL will be the Northwest base!

GrahamK
11th Sep 2003, 18:46
Would there be enough people in Carlisle that would be able to afford to fly? :p
Especially those in the Raffles area :suspect: :\

Frankfurt_Cowboy
12th Sep 2003, 01:34
Nope, Carlisle's a dump, I'm sure the place has its merits but I've never found them. If you don't like my "less than mature approach" then "Screw you guys, I'm going home". So there.

Deancross12345
12th Sep 2003, 16:19
I think that's a little unfair to call Carlisle "a dump"; run-down yes but a dump? Come on - give them a chance to get going before you put them down.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
12th Sep 2003, 23:35
I didn't mean the "aerodrome", the town in general was my intention!!

dada
14th Sep 2003, 01:00
cowboy - and yorkshire's nice is it? (not)

Frankfurt_Cowboy
15th Sep 2003, 04:25
Yes it's very nice.

ALLMCC
15th Dec 2003, 18:06
Looks like something might be happening if this report is accurate!

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/business/story.jsp?story=472585

glynn-kayes
16th Dec 2003, 06:44
So Mr Haughey snapped up BHD,S old fixtures and fittings then.Well what a very futuristic terminal building he will have<not>.I wonder did buy the old creeking floorboards as well,and the ticket desks that used to flood in the winter and the bar area with the arrows still showing all the routes that BHD has lost but covered up with cellotape.I bet Dermot Desmond is having a laugh,well he owns 5 percent of TBI who incidently own BFS.................................Nuff said..................................................

Bus429
16th Dec 2003, 14:57
Routes to BRU and AMS from CAX would suit me - it's a lot closer than NCL.

ALLMCC
16th Dec 2003, 16:44
Glynn, you've posted some particularly negative comments in your time but that one really excels! If you can' t post something positive then you'd be better not bothering at all!

Presumably your totally unconstructive comments are another immature side swipe at BHD - it would be fair to assume that, if Mr Haughey is to spend £18m, he might consider investing in new fixtures & fittings!

Perhaps if he announced that any Belfast route would operate to BFS (although I can't think why BFS) then presumably you would welcome him with open arms and by the same token if it were to operate to BHD you would criticise it and say it wasn't needed - that is unless of course it was operated by the "orange tails"!

Chillwinston
16th Dec 2003, 17:48
**Ding Ding Round Two ** - who have you got your money on to get the last word in before he bleats to the moderators??

Carlisle the last time I was passing could do with the modernisation but is there really such a market for scheduled services from the airport?

ecj
17th Dec 2003, 18:43
The answer is probably yes, although any routes are likely to be thin.

A Shorts 360 operated to / from Heathrow nearly twenty years ago for about two years. There have been others - all short lived.

London City would be the best option today. Getting the pricing right would be the difficult part.

MEFLYBE
17th Dec 2003, 20:22
I think Scot Airways could make a 3xdaily 328 CSL-LCY service work.

They managed it at Dundee.

Regards

Mike

witchdoctor
19th Jan 2004, 01:52
Well, it would seem that the rumours have at least made the aviation press. February's Airliner World is running this article;

"Developments at Carlisle

An Irish entrepreneur is planning an £80 million investment in upgrading facilities at Carlisle Airport to develop it into a major regional airport. Dr. Edward Haughey plans to enhance the terminal facilities and upgrade the runway at the airport to attract scheduled customers. He is currently in talks with at least two new start-ups to launch new services by the end of the year."

My own opinion is sceptical to say the least. Whilst I have seen plenty of surveying work going on at the airport towards the end of last year, I just can't see where the return would come from on that kind of investment, and I suspect it is just the latest in a long line of rumours that the airport has any kind of a future.

To call the existing portakabin a terminal is stretching the imagination a little, and the only enhancement I can see is the whole thing being demolished. As for the idea that a start-up would operate from an airport with no established scheduled operation and no real customer base - well..........

One more short-lived operation if true I feel.:sad:

ecj
19th Jan 2004, 15:45
When the WIP begins on the main runway, this will be a good indication that investment programme has begun.