PDA

View Full Version : Unions for GA Pilots

Transition Layer
10th Sep 2003, 20:15
G'day all,

I am shortly re-commencing employment in GA after a bit of a hiatus (as we all have to suffer from time to time :( ). I have decided to join AFAP as I am very supportive of the union movement in general, but am a little concerned that GA drivers perhaps aren't the targeted market of AFAP, despite being the ones that require support and assistance the most?

A quick look through the contacts page on their website lists Capts and F/Os working for various regionals like Eastern, Sunstate and O'Connors, but are there any delegates or representatives working in any of the smaller GA companies?

I couldn't help but think maybe their lack of representation at the grass roots is what is hurting their potential member numbers?

Just a thought, I don't mean to offend anyone from AFAP I just believe it would be best aired in a forum such as this in case other people out there were asking the same questions.

Cheers,
TL

FO Cokebottle
10th Sep 2003, 23:40
Unions...GA??????

A reality pill for you young man.

Rich-Fine-Green
11th Sep 2003, 06:22
TL:

I suspect AFAP has not changed in their virtual ignorance of GA pilots. Their interest starts with the 3rd tier operators hence reps in O'Conners etc.

AFAP will however be more than happy to accept dues from you every payday but try asking for help when you really need it.

Join AFAP when it will be of most benifit to you, after you get into an RPT outfit. If you are planning a GA career then I suggest you don't need AFAP. Choose a good employer (they are out there!) and have fun.

Transition Layer
11th Sep 2003, 07:40
Fo Cokebottle... :ugh: :ugh:

The reality is, GA pilots get screwed and we need a stronger (or at least visible) union! Thanks for your support!

R_F_G
I actually hold aspirations of an airline career, but have at least a few years of GA still ahead of me. Obviously a good employer is what everyone wants, but this might not always be possible. What if a "good" employer turns bad?

A new union representing GA pilots is not the answer, as we all know about "strength in numbers" but perhaps AFAP need to consider broadening their horizons a bit and trying some recruitment and representation at grass roots? The challenge is there for you guys!

TL

Col. Walter E. Kurtz
11th Sep 2003, 12:22
TL, go ahead and join the union and forget the naysayers. When I needed help and was 'alone' it was very comforting to have the back-up and I always found them very willing to help with advice and legal assistance and know how.

The union reps for the most part have been through GA and are well aware of what goes on and can get surprising results on your behalf. Not to mention they have other services including a professional library, can be helpful in your job hunt etc etc. It's not just a matter of industrial relations.

1% of a crappy GA wage (and less than that if you are unemployed/casual) is not much to pay.

AZTRUCKER
15th Sep 2003, 16:37
Unions just like the Police force started off as a good idea and had good intentions, look at them now they are more political then ever and all they are now are just another big business screwing who ever gets in there way.:hmm:

robair
18th Sep 2003, 14:26
I agree with you. I would like to see the AFAP get of their spotty behinds and help us in GA.
If I saw them doing something for GA yes I would join, but all I see them doing is call other pilots petty school girl names.
As far as i see they are just a toothless tiger (post 89)
My 2cents:cool:

squire
24th Sep 2003, 18:26
Just posted a similar thread and have to add to all the nay sayers if YOU got off YOUR " spotty behind " and supported the union it would have some more teeth wouldn't it deadhead. Jeez :mad:

robair
25th Sep 2003, 07:52
Well squire,
You wouldn't go to a car yard and buy a car that dosent work would you!!!!!!!!!!!
Likewise I would not join a union that dose nothing.!! :=
Its called marketing, if we saw them do somethimg (it dosen't have to be much) we would say these are a good bunch I might join:= := :=

Split Flap
25th Sep 2003, 11:25
Well robair,

Have YOU asked them to do anything for you? If you havent joined them then of course they are not going to help you, dunno about aussie unions but the NZALPA is making a effort to help GA pilots, and considering the income they receive from them probably putting more resourses per dollar received into GA than the larger airlines in NZ.
As a GA pilot I never had less than 100% support from NZ ALPA whenever I asked for it.
Perhaps if you asked the aussie one may be persuded to do the same?

Dont know till you try.