PDA

View Full Version : Making Long Haul more comfortable

Xeque
10th Sep 2003, 15:31
A couple of nights ago, trawling around Pprune and (dare I say it) not entirely sober, I responded to a rant in Jet Blasts about inconsiderate cattle class pax who insist on fully reclining their seat from “seat belts off” to arrival and to the obvious discomfort of the poor sod immediately behind particularly on long haul flights.

I suggested that a one-class configuration with extra seat width and legroom was not beyond the bounds of reason. In retrospect, what I suggested in my Jet Blast response was not really feasible but it prompted me to look a little closer into the matter.

Using a 777-300 as a typical example of today’s long haul aircraft, I took some statistics and scale drawings from Boeing’s web site and made a surprising discovery.

A 777-300 cabin in 4 sections has about 138 to 140 feet of usable seating area excluding galleys, toilets and doors. The cabin is 19’ 3” wide.

If you take a 2-4-2 seating cross-section and 38” seat pitch (Business Class standard) you get a total seating capacity of 348.

This means that everyone can sit in a 23” wide seat (armrests excluded) and with that magic extra 6 inches of legroom that enables the seat to be reclined with full leg support and without compromising the space available to the person immediately behind.

Crew levels could be set at 2 Flight Deck (3 on long haul flights) and 8 Flight attendants.

Some additional thoughts for passenger comfort are:

1. Put all tray tables and video screens in armrests so that they are not affected by movement of the seatback in front.

2. Reserve the rear section for families with small children only and make provision for more cots.

3. Reserve the forward section for businessmen who would like to work during the flight and give them access to telephones and electrical sockets for laptop computers.

4. Use the centre two sections for all other passengers.

5. Provide 4 toilets for each cabin section.

I can get an economy class return flight from Bangkok to the UK for between GB£380 and GB£500 depending on the carrier I choose. A full flight of 348 pax should therefore realise between GB£132,000 and GB£174,000 (less 7-10% for agency discounts) and to which should be added income from cargo, mail, specie and domestic animals in both directions.

Operating costs (for both flights) including fuel, airport services and in-flight navigation charges, crew salaries and subsistence, aircraft lease/depreciation, maintenance and insurance, cleaning, catering and IFE must be deducted.

I need other Ppruners who know about these things to help me rationalise the numbers.

The primary questions are:

1. Are the costs for (say) a BKK/LHR return flight, greater than the income that could be generated from my 348 happy and comfortable passengers paying an economy class fare?

2. If the airlines could make a profit from these figures then why are we allowing ourselves to be treated in such a shoddy manner?

I used a 777-300 as my example aircraft and I don’t know if the aircraft has the range for BKK to UK. I have only ever done the trip in 747’s before so I stand to be corrected in this.

under_exposed
10th Sep 2003, 15:51
As you have used the full cabin area of the aircraft with seats where are you going to put 16 toilets, 8 cabin crew and the galleys?

Xeque
10th Sep 2003, 16:26
As I said, I measured only usable SEATING area. I left out the spaces taken up by the galleys, toilets and doors. They take up and extra 50 feet or so.

under_exposed
10th Sep 2003, 19:34
Sorry, should have read that a bit more carefully.

Xeque
10th Sep 2003, 19:41
No problem. The Boeing website gave me a seating plan for the 777-300 to carry (wait for it) 550 pax in one class discomfort.

Cross section was 3-4-3 with 30" pitch.

Can you imagine what absolute hell that would be?

newswatcher
10th Sep 2003, 20:14
Xeque, you only have to ask anyone who flew 777 on the BA sub-contracted(AML) routes to Cancun, Tampa, Havana and Montego Bay. They were 3-4-3 and led to no end of complaints.

There were 355 seats in World Traveller economy and 28 in Club World. They "gave in" in the end and reduced this to 214 seats in World Traveller, 24 in World Traveller Plus and 44 in Club World.

Gaza
10th Sep 2003, 21:44
38” seat pitch (Business Class standard)

Business Class has moved on quite a bit since this was standard. The norm is around 50" with some airlines such as BA and KL offering 60". BA Premium Economy (WT+) offers 38".

I flew Monarch Premium Economy to Male a couple of years ago. Pitch was approx 35" compared to 28" in Economy. I am 6' and I could not have sat for 11 hours in normal Eco.