PDA

View Full Version : New, Affordable, Safe, Helicopter

bugdevheli
10th Sep 2003, 05:22
If someone were able to produce a Very Light Helicopter which had the following attributes ; Deisel engine. One piece composite airfame/body. Rotor system that would permit engine off landings from 30foot hover. Running costs of £20/hr. The limitations being, Single place, Max operating height 40 feet. Limited range. Would there be a market for such a machine?

heedm
10th Sep 2003, 06:45
Many years ago someone figured out that people would pay for a toaster that lifted the toast once it was finished cooking. This prevented the toast from getting burned. Recently, someone else figured out that people would pay for a toaster that kept the toast warm until you were ready to butter it. The pop-up toaster was uninvented!

What has that got to do with helicopters? Nothing. You asked if there'd be a market for your helicopter. Considering the above story and many others like it, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a market.

I can't think of any use. If you could take a passenger on board, it might make a fun ride. Throttle chops from 30' are normally a six-ticket ride (my scale for how fun a flight is...based on West Edmonton Mall rides).

Ascend Charlie
10th Sep 2003, 09:12
Max operating height of 40 feet??? Makes it exciting when the trees go up to 150 feet, dunnit? Power poles up to 100 feet, houses, buildings etc.

Sounds like you will sell a lot in the Russian steppes and the Argentinian pampas and the GAFA (the Great Australian F-All) but not too many elsewhere.

If you want cheap flying experiences and enjoyment, buy a computer game and a blow-up doll.:8

rwm
10th Sep 2003, 15:34
I think there already is a safe, afordable , composite helicopter. And I think it is in West Edmonton Mall. I took my kid on it the last time I was home. I must point out though it was electric powered, and it only took three tickets. It did have nice blinking lights on it, and my kid was a pro at the controls. She's three.

Flytest
10th Sep 2003, 15:53
UK Company already build something similar, for the purposes of pilot traing. Can't recall name of company off hand, they used to have one at Coventry Airport.

Whirlybird
10th Sep 2003, 16:33
Sounds to me like it would be great for training - a nice cheap way to practise hovering.

Thomas coupling
10th Sep 2003, 16:50
Ascend Charlie:ok:

From the Simon Cowell school of subtlety:

I'm afraid this is the sort of response one would expect if you are going to offer a product like this.
In all seriousness, with restrictions like that...you have got to be kidding????:suspect:

Whirlybird
10th Sep 2003, 19:55
bugdevheli,

HOW does this machine you're trying to produce...I presume you are, aren't you? ;) ...allow you to make engine off landings from a 30ft hover? :confused:

bugdevheli
10th Sep 2003, 20:27
When i posted this, I expected a ratio of about 80/20 the 80% taking the piss and the 20% curious. I was about right so far!Lets wait a little longer for a few more replies, and then i will explain.:D

slowrotor
10th Sep 2003, 23:25
bugdevheli,
The idea of a cheap trainer would make sense for any flight school.
The R22 is used 80% training, 5% private travel and the remainder pipeline patrol, police, etc.(ref.NTSB report)

My opinion: for training a high cruise speed is uneccessary.So use a big rotor and low power and make it very quiet.

Cicare has one. http://www.cicarehelic.cjb.net/

slowrotor

Jed A1
11th Sep 2003, 01:08
I'm sure people will dream up many imaginative uses for such a machine. If it leads to cheap flying, it'll sell.

People looked at the Robinson's with much scepticism years ago (no baggage space, small size, low inertia etc etc). Now there are many supporters of the machines.

I would be seriously interested in one, would love to know more.

One caveat, I don't want a death trap, no mini 500 stuff! Build it like a brick outhouse and I would be more than happy.

Potential uses off the top of my head:
Training
Hour building
Personal transport
Filming
Patrols
Drying / Air circulation
Cattle mustering

P.S. It needs a comfy seat. Manufacturers always seem to overlook this on small machines. A nice lightweight Recarro out of a racing car should do just fine!

Dave_Jackson
11th Sep 2003, 04:40
bugdevheli,
your interesting thread provokes the following totally 'outside of the box' idea; :8

```````````` From the Department of Demented Designs
``` http://www.UniCopter.com/Temporary/LightbulbIdeaNarrow.gif
````` Where the lights are never turned off; 'cause the light never really came on.

Basically it's a light single seat helicopter, which is connected via a 200 foot cable to an underground generator.

An electric motor in the helicopter drives an extremely high-speed coaxial counterrotating 'rotational energy storage device' [RESD]. The energy is then transferred from the RESD to the rotor-shaft via a constant velocity joint [CVJ].

The RESD is incapable of pitching or rolling because of its very high opposed rotational energy, but the craft can pitch and roll, because of the CVJ.

A device similar to a 'hub spring (http://www.unicopter.com/B329.html#Hub_Spring)' is located between the craft and the gimballed RESD. This device will resist any extreme pitch or roll of the craft.

The solo student can do anything his heart desires. But, should he move more than 200 feet from the underground generator, which will 'unplug' the cable, or should he put the craft into an extreme attitude; three things will immediately happen. One, the force of hub spring will dramatically increase. This will align the craft with the RESD and removing all of its pitch and roll. Two, the collective will go to a 'slow descent' rate (not that of autorotation). Last but not least, the pilot's cyclic and collective sticks will become inoperative.

Theoretically, it should be a totally safe way of learning to fly without even the need for an instructor. Simply trial and
error.

Flight Training Instructions:[list=1] There's the seat.
There's the seat belt.
Those are two sticks.
Have fun.
[/list=1] :D :D

bugdevheli
11th Sep 2003, 05:09
Whilst I cannot for "patent" reasons describe the rotor system that enables 30 foot autos from hover, would Pruners agree that this in itself would be a step foreward in safety. As the discription was sport aviation, is a limited range a real problem?, given that most heli schools appear to operate close to home. As to the max operating height. Because I forsee the use of such a machine being in an area that is familiar to the pilot, the possibility of flying into a tree, building, or what have you, seems pretty unlikely. Surely, as helicopters will eventually become as common as motorcycles as a weekend pastime, the most important factor is safety.

Dave " WOW " cant wait to run me cable out in the back yard. Is it OK if I put lights on your invention (shame to waste the electric) Do I need to contact my local power supplier in order to hoist a two hundred foot cable or do I just need certifying:) :) :) :) :ok:

Dave_Jackson
11th Sep 2003, 06:41
bugdevheli :ok:

Yes; it's fun tossing wild ideas around. :O
The underlying thought was that of using counterrotating flywheels for both stability and slow descent, for the hundreds of times that the occupant 'goofs up'. Maybe as much an amusement ride as a training device.

Getting serious for a moment; ;) perhaps, the cable is a good idea. Its contact with the ground may negate the 'craft' from having to comply with government aircraft regulations. :ugh:

It's not fair to tease. Throw us a couple more bones. :{

Jcooper
11th Sep 2003, 10:43
A fairly similar "airplane" was developed that sounds much like this. The aircraft was only able to fly about 10 feet off the ground while in ground effect. The craft was going to be used over water for an affortable, high speed, transportation. Heard about it 10 years ago and havent heard a peep about it lately. Pretty good idea though

slowrotor
11th Sep 2003, 12:56
Bugdevheli,
The idea of a strictly sport/trainer, cheap way to hover is what I want.
Just read an article about flying powered parachutes. The author says its a blast because you can only go 20 or 30 mph so its not for getting anywhere. Flying low is safe as a power failure only results in a controlled 20mph glide to landing. These things are selling by the thousands.

If you build a helicopter that can auto from any height, that would appeal to the low flying sport pilots. Your 40ft height limit doesn't make much sense to me.
The Sport Helicopter really has'nt been completely invented yet. So building something that has a limited flight envelope should not be a concern.
Go for it.
Jcooper,
You are describing the WIG (wing in ground effect aircraft) also called the Ekranoplane in Russia.

Thomas coupling
11th Sep 2003, 16:32
How can it be a trainer if it is only going to be a single seater ("single place")? perhaps the FI uses a megaphone?

How on earth would it be limited to 40'???? Tied to the ground perhaps.

The mind boggles and the idea gets more preposterous the longer I think about it.:8

If this vehicle seriously was used for training with one pilot and used for EOL's, you'd probably go thru about half a dozen of them every week...never mind the pilots :oh:

C'mon what's the punch line budgy.........................

bugdevheli
12th Sep 2003, 05:47
It is going to be impossible for me to win, score points or achieve whatever satisfaction we get from postings, without describing not only the machine, but the rotor system in detail. Having spent an awfull lot of time and money on this project, for the moment its a secret. Many thanks to all the responders wether of the 80 or 20 percent. ps Dave Jackson about this rope down to the floor, have you ever thought :O :O :O :O :O :O :ok:

RobboRider
12th Sep 2003, 19:16
jcooper

The Wing in Ground Effect Craft is alive and well in some far flung corners of the world.

A company here in northern OZ has finished a craft with (I think) 6 or 8 seats and has been conducting sea trials for a year or so here. It's a spectacular beast, especially if you fly over it and watch it slide past at about 2 m altitude. It does about 80 or 90 knots and has two pusher type props but I think I recall the designer telling me it has only one engine driving the two props.

Looks not unlike a big bat with droopy wings. It has been sold to someone in the Maldives. One of the flying instructors from our local aeroclub (fixed winger) has just got the job to go with it to the Maldives to fly or is that sail/motor it around the tourist trade, that would be a hard life:ok:

The company here that makes them is making more and has plans for bigger ones.

Whirlybird
13th Sep 2003, 06:09
bugdevheli,

Since I don't live a million miles from you, and since I can't steal your design because I probably couldn't even build a lego helicopter successfully.........when are you going to invite me to come and admire your invention? ;)

bugdevheli
14th Sep 2003, 04:12
Whirly. Me secret must remain a secret. but you are more than welcome to drop in (sorry i mean land at my place ) and take a look at the latest machines. e mail me for co ordinates.