PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please settle this.. Is 2600 hours too much??

RoSiPaSi
10th Sep 2003, 01:35
Forgive me if this is a silly question... but reading various posts and also having discussed it with several ppl, i have got conflicting ideas about being 'over qualified'.

I am travelling to Africa in the very near future... never been and have no contacts. A leap of faith if you will. Hoping to further my career after way too long in bug smashers here in Australia.

I have 2600+ TT ... mostly on singles, ATPL & MECIR.

Lacking Jet/turbine time or desirable endorsements etc... Some say i may have too much 'experience' to get a start in Africa (common reason was i would have difficulty showing i would stick around).

Others say there are jobs available... i just gotta get my butt over there and knock on doors. My experience wouldn't be a problem.

Which is it?

B Sousa
10th Sep 2003, 08:03
An Opinion
Most operators know when they hire some low timer that he is just building for another job. Pay and Conditions accordingly. You seem to be in a place where you can step up to a higher plate for turbine transition etc. without the employer worrying about the basics.
I think your in a good position.
As for me, over the years I have never worked for someone via a stack of resumes. Its always been putting my face in the CPs office and attaching it to the resume. As you said beat on the doors, one will open that you may like.

RoSiPaSi
10th Sep 2003, 16:53
B Sousa,

thanks for the input mate.

I hope you're right. I seem to favour that line of thinking as well... just happenned to get a bit of negative feedback.

Regardless... i am going... and if it doesn't work out... will have an interesting and exciting adventure.

Leaving Sydney for Botswana in 2 weeks. If Botswana doesn't work out, shall travel towards and up the East coast... on the hunt... for jobs and adventure. :)

Cheers,

RSPS

B Sousa
10th Sep 2003, 21:01
Im sure once you get face to face with some folks, you will get the feel for things. Hit all the places around Pretoria while you are there ie. lanseria, Grand Central etc. Knock on every door. If nothing else your going to find some folks who will show you a good time. Great bunch there in SA.

Airforce1
11th Sep 2003, 05:14
Head to Maun,Dont intend to work just have a few pints with the lads every night,you will be surprised what will happen after a few weeks "vacation" in Maun.Good luck

RoSiPaSi
11th Sep 2003, 17:27
Thanks Airforce1,

I think a few drinks at the 'local' was always on the cards. :)

Where are the good watering holes in Maun... to meet like minded people?

I have been advised to set up camp in Maun rather than Gabarone as there would be more opportunities there. Would you (or anyone) agree?

Also, any suggestions on accommodation? Aero club/cheap hotels/caravan parks/camping grounds??

Cheers,

RSPS

chrislikesblue
11th Sep 2003, 17:50
Hi mate, I just want you to hear another point of view from someone who's been there before you.Maun has been advertised a lot on the internet by mostly the people who own companies there or a lot of chief pilots that it's the place to be.So it's obvious that they have a bunch of pilots every year , they don't even have to look for them.Lets say all the companies together need 8 pilots,they will have around 30 to 40 happy campers that are being brainwashed evryday that they have to stick around to prove that they really want the job,or that they have to show that they have a brilliant personality...and a lot more crap.So just be warned,it might end up in a long holiday that you don't need,it's up to you.Of course I hope you'll make it,best of luck!

Kiwi Flyer
11th Sep 2003, 21:12
Sounds like someone who didnt get a job for one reason or another, probably his attitude by the sounds of it.
Alot a people come to Maun looking for work. We dont promote it, we try and give you advice, if you want to come over, fine. We run businesses, we are not here for you. We try and show you a good time while your here, if your lucky you get a job. No one Guarantees anything. We dont hire without meeting people, and we normally have people coming through all year, we hire when we find someone we like and who will fit in. A lot of people who have negative comments are those that left town without a job, and should ask themselves the questions, not us!
That said Maun is a place where a lot of people have got there start, and there are a lot of people who will tell you it was the best time in there career.
The best quote to sum up the wannabes that come through "fit in or f:mad: k off". Harsh but true....accept it!

B Sousa
11th Sep 2003, 21:52
Dam, Next time Im going up to Maun. As I fly helicopters more than those other things I wont be looking for a job, but I always love a good time.......ha ha. Will a resume get me a free Beer??

Kiwi Flyer
12th Sep 2003, 15:14
B Sousa, would be a pleasure! Just coming to say gidday gets you a beer!:ok:

Rhodie
12th Sep 2003, 23:44
Hey Bert

The coffee we had at News Cafe doesn't count credits for the beers -

So, when you get back from the Bahamas or where-ever else your'e polling, I think we go to Maun.

Taken a 210 up there a couple of times, if you want to see the biggest gathering of 210's and 206's this side of nowhere, Maun's the place.

The pub there is the best - just don't come in like a couple of Lear pilots did, just after they said they "dont need keys" to start their aeri. - still wearing all the bird sh*t on the shoulders. Didn't stay very long, if I recall....

Take care now.

:ok:

Kiwi Flyer
13th Sep 2003, 17:39
Or, Rhodie, like the Citation X crew that wouldn't let a bunch of low life Maun pilots see inside ther airie dear we soil it or something! They then climbed aboard, fired up, and tried to taxi off with the chocks in! This was met by a rousing round of applause as the F/O came out to remove the offending chocks!
Second attempt goes better, but have to shut dowm again to clear customs, which they appear to have forgotten about! (Botswana is a different country you know;) )
Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch:E

KF

(p.s. It is a fairly impressive line up of C206,C210,C208, BN2!!!)

Skaz
15th Sep 2003, 04:04
KF those guys will be legends for a looong time :ok:

methinks bluechrissy there's photo might be hanging up in Moremi's office ....

had a bit of dodge'ems friday with JAO on finals ... nothing like a near miss to get the juices flowing:E :ooh:

Kiwi Flyer
16th Sep 2003, 17:00
Got a fair idea who it is Skaz. You know what it's like, some of these guys and gals figure that seen as they have come to Maun, that means they automatically deserve a job! I love the guys who use the old "but I've driven all the way from Joburg, it's a long way you know!". What, the pilots from NZ, OZ, UK etc didnt travel very far or is my geography all mixed up! Come on guys!

Skaz
17th Sep 2003, 02:33
chrislikesblue did you send a little photo of yourself in the back of a jet to the Moremi guys?