PDA

View Full Version : Flying Officer James Serge Gow

9th Sep 2003, 22:11
Hi, I am searching on behalf of my Partner Jamie Johnson (aged 50) for any information and hopefully a photo or two of FLYING OFFICER JAMES SERGE GOW.

Jamie's name was originally SERGE JAMES GOW, so was obviously named after his Father, a Test Pilot, who died in a crash around Dec 2nd 1952.

FLYING OFFICER JAMES SERGE GOW was a New Zealander in the UK. He had met a Mavis Ellen Hay a nurse in South Africa on a posting and they both came back to the UK. Mavis was expecting their son, but sadly Flying Officer Gow was killed before they had a chance to marry if they were indeed going to.

We found Flying Officer Gow's war grave at RAF Benson and went there for the 50th anniversary of his death to lay some flowers.

We know we can't bring Jamie's Father back, but would love to find out more about him and to have a photo that he could treasure would mean more to him than anything else I can think of.

We are currently talking to RAF New Zealand and have a copy of his personnel files from there, and await delivery of his UK ones.

I am wondering that as he died in a crash, maybe is it more likely that information will be held on record somewhere ?

Also have found out he coxed for the NZ eights whilst in the UK so wonder if there are sporting records anywhere.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, if you can help, do not hesitate to get in touch, kind regards, Lisa

[email protected]

I am on holiday for a fortnight from this wkend so I apologise if I cannot get back to you right away.

John (Gary) Cooper
11th Sep 2003, 23:49
The Air Historical Branch at RAF Bentley Priory should have the details if you know the exact date of accident, the place and index number and type of aircraft.

The RAF Museum at Hendon may well hold a photo in their archives. The PRO at Kew should also hold some information and most definitely the PMA at RAF Innsworth will have his service record, there is often an administration charge of £25 for this info.

Best of luck anyway.