PDA

View Full Version : Chances????

wanrbflyr
9th Sep 2003, 19:58
Hi guys...
This has probably been done to death but anyway, pls only positive responses... I'm 20, got a GFPT and a job here in Syd in IT that pays pretty well, only problem is that I have since I was knee high I have wanted to fly, and done a little bit here and there. Well times are that now I have got a car loan (which can be paid out in about 3 mths), a girlfriend ( attractive, easy going and likes sex but hey...) and yeh, I wanna fly, I probably wouldnt start till I'm 21, and probably be marketing myself for jobs with pretty bare CPL at 22.... what are my chances???? Best way to go, advice??? And yes I know it'll be tough but surely with the QF baby boom situation and other factors maybe I would be hitting it at a good part of the cycle?? Where should I go? What should I focus my training on, anything you can think of pls let me know, and yes some would say that if I had been serious I would have not mucked around and just done it at 17 or 18 but I feel that I have experienced life a LITTLE bit (i.e debt and the night life in Syd) not that I regret it but I think I now have more focus, anyways nuff of my evening rant, thanks people....

FO Cokebottle
10th Sep 2003, 08:59
Ditch the girlfriend.

Flying will be seen as a threat to her.
SEX WILL STOP
"Easy going" will turn into WHOA!!! Where did that come from???

BELIEVE ME!!!....I've been there.

wanrbflyr
10th Sep 2003, 09:18
You've been here too?? What did you do?? Did you make it ?? Where are you now????

FO Cokebottle
10th Sep 2003, 09:46
Click on the "profile" button and read....

Pint o' Pale
10th Sep 2003, 12:20
Ask yourself if you are prepared to make quite a lot of sacrifices, and be dedicated and motivated enough to hang in there for the long term, not just until your first flying job, but until you crack it in the big time (presuming your aiming for an airline job). If you are single minded enough and you are sure there is nothing else more in the world you would prefer to do, then the best of luck to you! Apologies if I sounded patronising, I will now gracefully step off the soap box.

wanrbflyr
10th Sep 2003, 15:06
Checked your profile, impressive!! What age did you start???
Hmm I think I can be single minded enough...I am aiming for something like REX, Aeropelican or Horizon, but by the same token I love teaching and think I'd like to instruct possibly, I'm just not sure...can a good instructor make $30-35 K P/A??? I mean I know I want nothing more than to fly but what, where and who with is what I don't know right now...I just want to get flying again and finish my CPL.

StraightnLevel
10th Sep 2003, 15:50
I say go for it, theres nothing wrong with being a little older!!!! From my experience it has always been the later starters who get their jobs first, probably to do with the egos of 19 year olds. The company that I work for at the moment, which shall remain nameless has ruffely 75% of pilots being over 27, and we're only a small GA company. And to futher my point IT may pay well but its as boring as bat s##t and every time a plane flys overhead you'd be thinking that could of been me!!!!!

wanrbflyr
11th Sep 2003, 07:14
Straighty, thanks for that, can I maybe PM you??? Your right, I work in Parra/Auburn area at the moment, great money but all day I hear A/C 767's etc from YSSY and then in the evening a shyteload of lighties going into YSBK...I look up and think "It coulda been me, it could be me, I wish it was me..."...

FO Cokebottle
11th Sep 2003, 08:40
Took my first flying lesson in May 1991. Started at age 31. Like you, I had a full time non-flying job. Left that job when I got the gig in BKK (not Bankstown).

"I am aiming for something like REX, Aeropelican or Horizon"

On this statement.....Don't limit your oportunities. Look outside of the box (ie. Australia)

Pint o' Pale

"Single mindedness" is an understatement.

Good luck

StraightnLevel
13th Sep 2003, 20:53
wanrbflyr,

Send me a pm if you like, I learnt to fly at the YSBK. I dont know how much help I can be, finished training five years ago but I still have a few mates there destructing!!!.

Cheers

SnL