PDA

View Full Version : What would your advice be?

Heeed
9th Sep 2003, 19:12
I'm just wondering if I've done the right thing. Let me tell you a story...

A friend of mine is due to start at Halton on the 8th October to undertake the newly structured Airman Aircrew course.

Whilst he's been trying to improve his physical fitness he has encountered a couple of problems.

Firstly, the rear of his knee caps have swollen up (which has put him U/S for two weeks thus far). Secondly, he has Plantar Fasciitis (which I think means the arches of his feet have become damaged and running is a no go). Both problems are common sporting injuries, which thankfully can be fixed, but I guess he's just unlucky to get them both at the same time!!!

At present he's at the physio twice a week to get the problems fixed but has been advised not to train until he's due to enter service.

He asked me the question "what should I do?" and I'm wondering if I said the right thing:

If he advises OASC I'm sure they'll back course him till Febuary next year (which is the next intake).

As long as he's happy with the decision, don't do any training (as per the doctors advice) and then go to Halton. Should the problem rear it's ugly head again just play dumb. I thought this would be for the best as he's already resigned from his job and would be in the sh*t financially until next year.

Can anyone offer their knowledge/help on this? :confused:

ShinyarsedAdminDude
9th Sep 2003, 21:32
Heeed
Not sure if you're right but if it makes you feel any better I would probably have given him the same advice.

Assuming he's not a total bloater the structured PEd programme at Halton should bring him on at a pace he can cope with from wherever he's at fitness-wise (and to be honest, given the average fitness of my 3 latest Halton exitees (p**s-poor) he would probably waltz through on a zimmer). If he "falls injured" then he will have the rehabilitation services we pride ourselves on at his disposal. The only moral dilemma will come if he's required to make any medical declaration before he starts but I would have thought he'd done that already if he's been offered a place.

If he contacts OASC a back-course is the best he can expect. They could re-board him and rescind their offer.

whowhenwhy
10th Sep 2003, 00:35
Ummm, will it not look a little funny at Halton when they request his doctors notes and see the referral to and notes from a physio? A quick entry into a pile of poo may result. Even if that doesn't happen, while he may get through Halton, if he's going NCA, I'd have thought that that course would almost certainly worsen his condition. Especially the E&E phase! Don't want to appear a spoilsport and maybe I'm going off old and duff gen, if so, sorry!

soddim
10th Sep 2003, 00:58
If he is fit enough to get to an aircraft, climb into it, stay alert throughout the flight and climb out of it again then I don't think he should be financially disadvantaged by his present condition. After all, it is only a factor that restricts his performance during the course.

In short, he should start the course and deal with any fitness problems as and when the course brings them into play.

Lionel Lion
10th Sep 2003, 06:19
He could alwys show up on day one.....then claim he was forced to run in high heels.....ah that ones been done:\

Heeed
10th Sep 2003, 16:20
.... do you know him by any chance???

Thanks for the feedback guys, I hope you can appreciate the situation I've been put in. The MO at Halton would not find out about the physio anyway as it's paid up front and private (no doctors etc involved). I'm still just a little confused as to any advice/opinion I can offer. If the condition doesn't dramatically improve in two weeks then I think he's going to let the board know... and let fate play it's course