PDA

View Full Version : Nationality vs Passport

European Crash
9th Sep 2003, 17:41
Reading the thread, I get the feeling that there is some confusion between right of residency, nationality and holding a passport. As a Kiwi who moved across to the RAF a few years ago, I came under the discretionary 5 year rule for residency prior to entering the Services set by the UK MOD. Basically, if you had the right skill set, could demonstrate command of English and appeared to be one who could 'assimilate', this requirement could be waved. (my requirement was dropped to one day!). This requirement should not be confused with 5 years' residency to satisfy the Home Office, revised in 1998. Whilst in full time employment in the services, the Home Office could issue a waiver to entry restrictions on your native passport. This allows free entry in/out of the UK, provided you could prove that your remained in the services (an ID card was ideal; alternatively a letter signed by your Unit Commander or another grown up would suffice).

AFter 5 years' residency in the UK, anyone can apply to be naturalised - can take 18 months and costs about GBP150. If supported by appropriate letters from your personnel officer, this can be sped up - 3 months in my case. Once a certificate of Naturalisation has been issued, you are officially a British Citizen - at this point you can now apply for a passport. It was clear that Gen Office clerks didn't understand the requirement to be naturalised first, then apply for a passport. I was persuaded to submit a UK passport application befire being naturalised - the result was predictable, to say the least.

I retain both a Kiwi and a UK passport. I tend to use the Kiwi one outside of Europe - especially in the Middle East; ironically it can draw less attention, and helps to keep the UK one 'clean'. I sympathise with an earlier correspondent about access to US material - on one occasion, after having given a presentation on a particular topic, an American officer asked me to leave the ensuing discussions on the basis that I came from a 'potentially hostile nation' ie New Zealand! I was rather cross with him.

In sum - right of residency is needed - followed by application to be naturalised (5 years or marry a local - I did both!) - followed by an application for a British Passport.

Somewhat confused about the reference to our Antiguan AWOL chap who claimed that the MOD issued visas - they don't. Nationality and Passports are issued by the Home Office with equanimity (and so they should be); membership of HM armed forces does not afford any additional privaledges but does demonstrate continuity of employment and 'assimilation'.
Moreover the Services can facilitate applications with poshly worded letters on embossed stationery!

MarkD
9th Sep 2003, 21:36
The problem about travelling on different passports is consular access. The case of that lad Sampson in Saudi who had UK and Canada passports was worth looking at for people considering this (you will be granted access to the consul of the state whose passport you entered the country with).