PDA

View Full Version : Maule Mx7 handling

Aerodynamisist
9th Sep 2003, 17:08
A mate of mine is flying a maule mx7-235 and he's found at low speeds there is a total lack of aileron authority, no one locally has experiance on this type so where all a bit baffled as to weather this is normal or not. the aircraft is fitted with VG's.
Anyone flown this type and had similar problems ?

OpsNormal
9th Sep 2003, 17:51
None in the MX7-235, but some in the M5-235 and the MX7-180. The Maules have a rather long section of the trailing edge of the wing dedicated to those huge flaps that can give it that rather slow and steep approach angle for those short field approaches. There isn't much room left for the ailerons at the ends of the wings, and as such (OK, as was explained to me), to be careful of slow speed handling.

The only other thing I could suggest is to get the rigging checked if there is any slop or if the ailerons do not seem to be reaching the fully deflected position. I cannot remember if there are dedicated stops in the wings, but if in doubt I'd get it looked at.

Regards,
Ops.

john_tullamarine
10th Sep 2003, 04:34
.. and those of us who have flown Callairs will be more than familiar with the quite ineffective sideways waggling of the stick ... the ailerons are only there for decoration on low speed approaches ... disconcerting on the first few but you pick up the trick after a bit of practice

OZBUSDRIVER
14th Sep 2003, 16:54
JT and BIK How do U handle X-wind ldgs with limited aileron authority in a STOL situation. I do not mean this in sarcastic way . I am genuinely curious. Logic would dictate a faster approach to ensure aileron effectivness. Would this be correct?

Regards
Mark