PDA

View Full Version : Leniency to SAAF Cadet Pilots

planecrazi
9th Sep 2003, 16:23
I found this interesting news and thought about sharing it: From News24.co.za

Pretoria - Aviation students in the air force may fail all their theoretical examinations the first time before starting practical pilot's training.

They may also fail two supplementary exams in those subjects, on condition that they maintain a 40% average for the other subjects.

They may also fail two practical flight tests and will only be recommended to leave the course on failing the test for the third time.

These were the answers to parliamentary questions Pieter Groenewald, Freedom Front spokesperson on defence, put to the minister of defence, Mosioua Lekota.

"Earlier, trainee pilots were only allowed to fail three subjects and had to pass by writing one supplementary exam and obtaining a minimum of 60%."

Drop in standards

Groenewald said this drop in training standards was a waste of taxpayers' money.

"If pilots are not properly trained, they will not be able to act quickly and correctly in emergency situations and more aviation accidents will occur.

"A fighter plane costs several millions of rands and an accident because of poor training is to the detriment of the taxpayer."

The questions were asked after earlier reports on the dissatisfaction of air force flight instructors.

The instructors complained after the flight training board turned down their recommendation to suspend the training of three students who were underachieving.

The members of the board felt that instructors should take more trouble with these students because they did have the potential to succeed.

Groenewald said the air force would acquire highly sophisticated Gripen fighter planes soon that would require high levels of training.

"To drop standards for the sake of affirmative action, to make the pilot corps more representative, is shortsighted.

"If government is serious that the air force should function effectively, it would have to focus on the training standards in the air force. Otherwise, the acquisition of new planes would be a waste of money." Pilots Fly Through Course (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1413381,00.html)

clipboard
9th Sep 2003, 16:44
Not long ago some SAAF instructors complained to SAAF Headquarters about the inability of some of their students to perform. The instructors complained that some of their students had failed their theory exams thrice, and recommended that the students be "washed". HQ lambasted the instructors and told them to spend more time with the students, be more tolerable of them, and ensure that they pass, as they had the necessary potential to pass. Application to the Board to have the student's training terminated due to under achievement, was rejected by the SAAF Board.

Now the same problem has surfaced again. The SAAF HQ has now agreed that cadets on the flying program may fail their theory exams at least once prior to them starting flying training. They are also allowed to re-write at least two subjects, providing that an average of 40% is maintained throughout the entire exam. In the "old" days, the average pass mark was 60%, and students were only allowed to fail a maximum of three subjects before they were "washed", and then an average of 60% had to be achieved in order to remain on the course. Instructors are unhappy about these arrangements, as it is clear that the standards have been lowered in order to accomodate the affirmative policies.

Very soon the SAAF will be flying the very sophisticated Grippens, and it will be a total waste of taxpayers money if these airplanes will be lost due to inefficient and incompetant training. A row has started in parliament to address these issues.

What a shame! Everything that goes wrong in this country is blamed on racism. If underachievers are told they are underachievers, they blame apartheid. Flying instructors are being accused of being racist because he informs his student that he is not cut out to be a fighter pilot. Eesch, where is it all heading to? I mean flying is one thing, but flying safely is the main objective in flight training.

In spite of all the affirmative policies in this country, one can only but wonder why the Presidential Jet is not staffed with affirmatives in the cockpit. Is it because he does'nt trust them or their training, or is it because he's aware that the standards has been cut and that he does not want to become a statistic, or what? Maybe the President should be taken to task to explain the situation. If this is the new policy of the SAAF, then I am greatly concerned as to the safety of this country should it ever be involved in aerial warfare ever again.

Flutterbug
9th Sep 2003, 18:46
Yezz Sir Clipboard,

Interesting but touchy subject.

In all the years I've been flying straight across Africa and from east to west north and south, We see wonderfull performances with Big brass bands, red carpets and the ululation of Young Nubian woman, singing praise for their presidents, and when all the noise has died down and the carpets are rolled up, who emerges from the Cockpit (box office). Non affirmative crewmembers!!

So it could be assumed that these presidents, approx. 90% of them who use these crews aren't really as stupid as they seem, in fact they are downright geniusses. Go and have a look Sir Clipboard of statistics of military aircraft crashes prior to the Take-over in Zimbabwe and post the take-over, you'll be astounded. I dont have a site to direct you to, however I'm sure it'll be somewehere on the net, I got my info from an ex Zimbo, and cannot remember the exact stats. Put the sight on the prune if you get it!!

Military standards as set out in the good 'ol days should be met by all candidates, If you make it. congrats if you dont, then shove off and become a gardener, or sorry, a landscape architect!!

Your color dont matter.

Cheers

Aginnintonnixadaykeepsadoctaaway

clipboard
9th Sep 2003, 19:35
:O Flutterbug, I'm with you on this my man! Touchy subject or not, its not right!

What annoys me most of all is the fact that the South African Government has been "affirming" like demons since 1994. They have introduced special concessions for the previously disadvantaged, reduced standards in schools and varsity's, filled up Parliament with grossly incompetant staff, paid billions to outside consultants to show the incompetant how to run their departments, and practically made it impossible for any "white" face to get a job anywhere. Now this policy has also been integrated into the armed forces, and not long ago I read about certain individuals being promoted from Corporals to Luitenant Colonels. Crazy huh? Now if the affirmative policy was so important to the SA Government, why don't they apply it to the Presidential Department in each and every way. There is NO white face in the entire President's office holding any position of power, and there is NO black face sitting in the cockpit of the Inkwazi! Why? Is this not discrimination to the loyal supporters of the President? Maybe even a slap in the face! Maybe the government should re-visit their entire affirmative policy.

B Sousa
9th Sep 2003, 21:37
Whine, Whine Whine......You all had to know that this would happen. And it aint over yet. Whats the solution? I havent seen that posted here yet...
Whites protest flying the president??, doubt that will happen. All White Pilots exit the SAAF??, doubt that also......However that will no doubt occur in due time.
I have met a couple of folks who are now on the fast track at CAA. pretty sharp.. So give it some time and let the dummies get weeded out, but remember there are some very good people now in the system. Given time they will be the ones making decisions and Im sure will do OK.
You think Avaition is affirming, what about your Navy. I saw in the Pret news a few weeks ago that they just appointed an Admiral (after four years in the Navy) speaking of fast track. Her only Naval experience was checking it for lint. Put that gal in Charge of some of your Ships and the beach at Capetown will have more than Sealand on shore... Again given time the right ones will filter through, hopefully.
Remember you didnt right the book on affirmitive action. Its very stylish here in the states. And We have more dummies than you do. We used to just have crime here, now we have hate crime......Road Rage?? used to be giving the International sign of ill will, now its someone with a 9mm out the window, smoking.... where will all this end.....
I just wish they had lowered the score when I first took my Air Law exam, it cost me a few days of studying.......

Gainesy
9th Sep 2003, 22:12
Chopping these three cadets is doing them a favour, as the alternative is letting them continue towards killing themselves in a spectacular and expensive manner and maybe taking someone with them.

V1 Rotate
10th Sep 2003, 06:29
If it were earlier in the year I would think this was an April fool's joke !!

V1

B Sousa
10th Sep 2003, 07:56
African Skies
A little digression......Crime and Corruption is the one thats going to sink the "New South Africa" ship.....I have been very fortunate in that I never mail stuff worth anything. Fedex/DHL seem to be worth the investment.....and thats no guarantee.
South Africa is one of the most Beautiful places on Earth and its certainly sad to see the direction its headed.

AfricanSkies
11th Sep 2003, 02:40
Bert

I think affirmative action is the worst factor. After all there's crime and corruption everywhere. But affirmative action, being an inherently baised policy, invariably leads to nepotism. X gets his mate Y a job. Y gets his mates A, B and C jobs. Now X, Y, A, B & C are all in it together, and it's just a matter of time before they cook up Plan Z....

Meanwhile whilst our Alphabet Gang are enriching themselves their job isn't being done too well, which contributes towards the lowering of standards as a whole, which in turn makes Plan Z seem less wrong, which itself leads other cats in turn to cook up Plans E, F, G & H and within a few years the whole country has gone to the dogs...

Look at the Zuma thing...as long as they all stick together, they get away with anything...

"Divide and rule" is the key !

Problem is, most of them haven't worked out that they have to divide in order to multiply....

:suspect:

Sir Cumference
11th Sep 2003, 15:53
Never mind the front office of the presidential jet, should the man have to go for a vesectomy would the surgeon be an affirmative who was accelerated through a reduced standard exam in order to qualify?

Methinks NOT!!!

B Sousa
11th Sep 2003, 22:02
SirCum Session
Im sure you know that there is medical for "Them and Us" in SA. It appears lots of things have not changed. I can also tell you something you may not know; is that a lot of the folks who are currently working in the States in the Medical field are former South Africans. I have not been to a hospital in about the last few years without running into Doctors or Nurses from SA. I had knee Surgery five years ago and three out of seven folks in the OR were from SA. I also know two Doctors here in town from SA. It must say something for the exodus that is slowly occurring.
I also agree that I would look closely for "Affirms". Whats sad is that it casts a big shadow over some who have done well and are worthy of the term "Doctor" Excluding anyone named Zuma.