PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Flying - Is it really that hard to earn a buck?

DAN767
9th Sep 2003, 11:55
I am new to Pprune, but I wanted some thoughts from Sydney flying instructors and charter pilots. Is it really that poorly paid as what people seem to say?

I am a grade 1 ATPL, and only work part time as an instructor - and it doesn't seem that bad at $40 odd bucks per hour. (And there is more flying than I can cope with) But... Those who I speak to who do it full time tell me it's difficult to put food on the table and a roof over your head working in Sydney. Is it really that bad?

I work at the Airport, but guess what "drive a forklift" not fly a plane. Always wanted to fly full time, but put off because of the rumours of just how bad it was.

Looking for the truth about what GA is paying?

Sheep Guts
9th Sep 2003, 12:09
Being paid by the hour is good if your burning the candle at both ends and working to fill your log book. But once your log book is filled with enough of the same time and hour building is no longer your aim. Paying the bills and living in GA I cant say for , Sydney but it aint the cheapest place to exist in oz, is a battle for some. Especially young guys and gals that are paying off hex fees and Loans on 40/hr. They get thee first Job out bush and they do 15 hours for the month. How is one going to cover cost of living on that? Thats less than the Jamrole dole. So some young guys and gals are on the jam and fly aswell. Its a fact.

You have an ATPL and you an instructor? How long did it take yyou get to that stage?

Im not trying to paint a gloomy picture, but when you get into this industry it will test you. And if you pass the test, the award could be tremendous. It aint easy but it can be satifying.

Regards
Sheep.

P.S. Some people get to there goals earlier than others through either hard work ot timing or both. Others wander and dont get there and seem to blame the system or the toold of the trade. Then there are the others that do it for the experience. Money aint everything. We will all die pawpers!

skyfox
9th Sep 2003, 16:07
Most sydney schools are fairly generous in there pay but I havent heard of anyone getting $40 per hour. Some are around the $35 mark, but most are below, down as low as 20. Sydney is the only place I have worked so I cant compare, but the biggest problem faced with working in sydney is the cost of living. This is what makes it hard to put food on the table. Not the fact that its hard to earn a buck. There is plenty of flying in sydney but for those not earning $40 an hour, yeah, it is pretty tough.

sancho
9th Sep 2003, 23:18
Check your PM's

Boney
10th Sep 2003, 08:13
Sydney

Average cost of a 2 bedroom unit - $350,000

" " a house - $480,000

The average full time salary in Sydney - $60,000 plus.

The average GA salary - $22,000

You should not need a calculator for this one??????

DAN767
12th Sep 2003, 12:04
Yes, I have been in the industry for a while, about 12 years now and I am 28 years old now. Thanks for the opinion’s everyone, still think it’s a shame to be relatively experienced as a pilot with ATPL and get paid more (a lot more) to drive a forklift with no education necessary.

I guess it shows what society thinks GA pilots are worth and proven by the fact that pilots are willing to work for such poor pay… I might be looking for a while.

Hoping one day to hear from career instructors and charter pilots who actually get paid what there worth or at least more than the guy packing shelf’s in the supermarket or driving the forklift. Sorry, hope not to have offended anyone – those who are building hours through instructing and charter flying to get into the airlines remember only 5% make it!!

I have heard some positive news from some big companies, but not here in Sydney.

Looking forward to some positive news from pilots! Maybe one day, otherwise I think I might be a part timer forever, and just keep dreaming of one day flying.