PDA

View Full Version : Spit and Friend, Portsmouth, 6 Sept.

maninblack
8th Sep 2003, 19:12
I rushed outside to catch a glimpse of what looked and sounded like a Griffon Spitfire in formation with a Hunter heading West over Portsmouth in the middle of the afternoon. As it was a quick glimpse I could have been mistaken and it could have been a Gnat.

Anyone got any idea which it was?

foxmoth
8th Sep 2003, 19:23
Hunter was at the Goodwood Revival so probably that.

fradu
9th Sep 2003, 19:54
On the 7th Hunter T.8B WV322, that had just re-enacted part of Sqn Ldr Neville Duke's world air-speed record run on its 50th anniversary, was being photographed by someone in the back of a Yak 11. I believe that was off the Portsmouth coast.

HTH,

Mark

Ethel the Aardvark
9th Sep 2003, 22:35
I remember about fifteen years ago viewing a hunter making several low level approaches from the solent towards Eastney. I assumed he must of been testing or calibrating a radar.
It was'nt for viewing the luvlies on the beach as it was mid winter.
Any one confirm a radar at the eastney end or what he may of been up to.

Smoketoomuch
10th Sep 2003, 02:14
From my dodgy memory;
Hunter used to 'attack' the Eastney end every other Thursday it seemed. Come in at about 150 - 200ft from south , and execute a climbing turn over Langstone Harbour / Hayling Island - repeat all morning.
Eastney had/has a fort (barracks?) right on the beach with a 4.5" gun and what looked like a twin-launcher for Sea Dart missiles. Don't know whether they were used purely for training or if they could actually be used in anger, but I assume the Hunter was testing them.

fradu
12th Sep 2003, 06:40
They would have FRADU Hunters on target facilities work for the Royal Navy, on the weekly "Thursday War" sorties :)
The jets would simulate missile attacks on the various ships and installations to test out their defences.

They still carry out the same duties now, albeit with civilian Falcon jets and BAe Hawks instead of using the classic Canberra TT18 and Hunter GA11/T.8C.

HTH,

Mark

FJJP
13th Sep 2003, 16:21
Seem to remember there was a RN gunnery school there in the dim and distant past. 360 Sqn Canberras used to racetrack towards the site jamming the radar for operator training.

Pom Pax
14th Sep 2003, 09:54
In the even deeper and distant past something used to tow a target up and down the coast. As Thorney's controled let down used to come inbound from the Bembridge area towing was supposed to be suspended whilst an aircraft was on let down into Thorney. Can well remember a few choice words from the gentleman up front when one morning the target went accross his line of vision.

Richard Paver
15th Sep 2003, 05:04
:O
twas me
watch this space & enjoy

maninblack
20th Sep 2003, 04:48
If you go on a drift dive (scuba gear & just drifting along the bottom with the tide watching the fishies) along this coast, anywhere from Bognor to Thorney Island it is impossible not to see 20mm cases on the seabed at some point. There are literally millions out there.