PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian possibilities

kazumichik
8th Sep 2003, 10:50
Armed with little more than a Lonely Planet, my logbooks and a stack of CVs, I'm soon off to Malaysia for a bit of knocking on doors.

Will happily share intel gathered on this expedition with any who would be kind enough to give me some pointers as to where to go, what to look for and what to wear when I rock up at the corporate offices (Does anyone wear a suit and tie in that ghastly heat?). So far the list includes the offices of Air Asia, the Malaysian Flying Academy and Malaysian Airlines.

FAA ATPL and CFI, Yank, 4200 Total, 2100 Turbine, no type ratings

Ball-busters, politicos and the embittered need not respond.

malaysian eaglet
8th Sep 2003, 19:15
MFA is working under an agreement DCA- CAA UK International We do the CAP 509 syllabus. For the moment the flying school is quite well staffed: however send an application, we never know. I don't think Air Asia and MAS are recruiting FAA licences, but check this point. You will not have an equivalence to the malaysian licence with an FAA one.
About MFA, we are currently training the MAS (and in a month the Air Asia) cadets and FAA is definitively not the standard.
More, MFA is going to the JAR scheme in a very short while, and several authorities in the region want to move to a level approaching the JAR one.
Sorry for the informations.

bfd777
8th Sep 2003, 20:21
Have a good visit and enjoy the food.

You need not wear the suit but a shirt and tie are appropriate. It actually helps to wear a tank top (singlet) under it all... will keep your shirt from sticking to you in the heat.

As far as employment, MY Eaglet is right. FAA license in Malaysia does not help your prospects. That said, there is not a lot of hiring going on at the moment anyway, let alone expats with an FAA license.

Philipines or Guam maybe? Try Pacific Island Aviation.

:}

9M_JON
8th Sep 2003, 20:38
kazumichik,

'Selamat Datang' that's 'Welcome' in the Malaysian language & probably you will hear a lot of.

Try knocking on Transmile Group as well,that's the freighter company with 727 & 737.

The other one would be Berjaya Air, flying the Dash 7 to exotic islands.

There might be complications with your licence so head to the DCA for clarification.
The links below might be useful

http://www.dca.gov.my/homeng.htm
http://www.mfa.edu.my/faq.html#a5

Always wear a tie at the least.Definitely hot & humid outside but once indoors you'd might think the heater broke.
Good Luck!Do enjoy the food & the place,you'd be surprise.Once you experience how relatively cheap things are here,you'd probably chuck the lonely planet guide.:O

Sultan Ismail
9th Sep 2003, 09:07
Kazumichik

For licensing information from the horses mouth contact Mr. Williams at MY DCA on +60 3 88866000

And the food is good

Sultan Ismail

SuperRanger
9th Sep 2003, 12:48
there's an advert for F/Os at Transmile just a few days ago, if i'm not mistaken... good luck.

QNH1013
9th Sep 2003, 23:23
Welcome.
Air Asia office is at Level 4 KLIA.

Ozgrade3
15th Mar 2005, 13:10
It seems that word on MFA has gone quiet. Whats the latest out of MFA.

Are they still hiring instructors

How difficult is the conversion from an australian licence to the Malaysian equivalents.

BlueEagle
15th Mar 2005, 21:26
Not that (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165062) quiet, I think!;)

WLM
16th Mar 2005, 05:55
Ozgrade3

DCA (local CASA) wants to see all your original examinations results (no copies) log books etc. Then they will decide what exams you may have to sit again and again....Basically Human Performance, Airlaws I and II are mandatory. Then you could be doing Loading, Flight Planning etc etc. The exams are based on the CAA (UK) principle
If you want to instruct, that's another kettle of fish altogether. You will also be bound to a company, ie cannot change employers unless you have a "cool off" period of 6 months between jobs. Have to protect the locals you know.....:yuk:
You can read all the info on www.dca.gov.my The website is available in English
Cheers
;)

cav-not-ok
16th Mar 2005, 10:38
doesn't thailand take FAA licences.. or was that philipines.. ??? i'm not too sure..

zakka
16th Mar 2005, 12:21
To malaysian eaglet.

I don't know what you mean by FAA is definitely NOT the standard. Hopefully, what you mean is, that Malaysian DCA standard incl. MFA is too low for FAA.
I can't see how a good FAA instructor would have any problems instructing here in Malaysia - so please explain. Thanks.

Zakka

Chocks Away
17th Mar 2005, 05:47
Caution Transmile, re a thread running about them on this forum.

Plenty of future prospects in this whole region. Check out the "New Start-ups" thread, here also. Indonesia an option for you? (Adamair/Jetayu/Batavia/Lion...)

Licencing could be your problem but I hope not. Good luck.

Lanun
18th Mar 2005, 07:01
Hey Zakka,

I've got friends with FAA licence converting to JAA and guess what? They told me that the FAA is a walk in a park. Easier than a driver's license. "Ground studies, WHAT GROUND STUDIES??? Ground study's a joke". No hard feelings dude :}

CHEERS!

zakka
18th Mar 2005, 12:36
Lanun, I'm so pleased to hear, you have some friends - good for you.

I know the ground studies for JAR are a bit hard, but that wasn't my point. My point is that Malaysia are very very far away from JAR standards, and they are not even close to FAA standards.

For your information I can also tell you, that you definitely learn a lot of good things taking FAA licences, that you won't learn while taking your JAA licences. And the other way around as well.

I'm not saying that FAA is better than JAA, but I actually prefer FAA because it's more practical. I know this because my sister's boyfriend's uncle's next best friend has told me.

Zakka

Lorry_Driver
20th Mar 2005, 04:19
Yeah, it took me 2weeks to go through the CDROM for FAA ATPL to get 100% score after 45 minutes in the exams hall in London Chiswick. "VERY-2 difficult, . . . . " 45 minutes inclusive of 3 rounds double checking the answers, . . . try doing the same with UK CAA & JAR ATPL papers if you can????

Then the US embassy decided that my name is NOT fit to enter the US for my flying part of the ATP, you know "Ben Ladin" and all the CRAPP !!!@#@$%!$#@^%&^*, . . . .. ????

Finally foryou Zakka, . . . . since when would the Americans allow foreigners holding FAA licenses to work in the US???? so itis NOT a matter of standards is it? It is what the Americans think of everyone else who are NOT AMERICANS . . . . . "ALIENS" from where??? we prefer to call our fellow humans "Immigrant workers" NOT ALIENS M8, . . . .

Don't Get Offended, . . . these are FACTS.

Lorry_Driver
3rd Moon of MARS (Aliens, . . . get it!!!)

zakka
30th Mar 2005, 14:12
Lorry_driver!

I'm not even gonna bother responding your piece of crap message. You ovbiously have no insight whatsoever, so please do us all a big favour and shut up.

Zakka

Lanun
30th Mar 2005, 20:17
Wo wo wo guys!!! Come on man... It's just a forum and I believe everyone has rights to say what they believe. I believe that Zakka and Lorry Driver has their points but maybe we should take things a little more cool yeah? :p Afterall we're all pilots, we're all having the same jobs, and we all have the same goal in life.

Pprune gave us the opportunity to spill out everything from our hearts but also to learn our mistakes by reading others posted. Sometimes I do make mistakes too but I take it as a lesson to learn. Don't we all learn in such a way during sim?

We should be greatfull for what we have today which is bringing us food on our table.

Cheers!!!

PS: Anyone interested for a beer? Feel free to PM me :}

FAB
31st Mar 2005, 01:03
Hello,

I wish to convert my Canadian CPL-IR to Malaysia. The link on the DCA does not work and I can't read the requirements.

What do I have to do, ground exam, flight test?
I have the A320 qualification, can I do the flight test on the airbus? I expect to send my resume to AirAsia. Any infos/contacts would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Lanun
31st Mar 2005, 05:23
Welcome aboard FAB,

did you use the correct url for DCA? Because the "lousy" site is always working. Just in case, their url is www.dca.gov.my and don't expect it to be an organised site. Even I myself get lost in there while searching for info.

About your conversion, I can guarantee you that DCA will insists that you do your ATPL exams in MFA and not to forget 35 hours of flying on the Seneca. But you never know they might grace you on that. I've got friends with Canadian CPL-IR too and they too went through all those **** :hmm: Trust me, you won't like it in MFA.

About joining Airasia, all I know is that Airasia requires captains and they're training their own First Officers. I believe it is best for you to contact them rather than going through such risks.

Wish you all the best!

longlatif
21st Apr 2005, 07:26
DCA is a joke!

You licence will not be recognised even though it is ICAO. You will have to sit all the UK ATPL papers, Air law and do a min 10hrs on a twin to get an IR.

Then wait 3 months for the licence to get approved after chasing up that loser Mr Williams who has NO idea. Then after wasting countless amounts of money and time you find out you have to sit the CA 2 (performance and loading).

Then your A320 rating was not done at a approved DCA school so you have to fork out more $$$ to get it "on par" with Malaysian strict and professional standards (that was a joke). :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Welcome to Malaysia lah!!!:ok: