PDA

View Full Version : Metro Ii/iii

Frightplan
8th Sep 2003, 07:51
Gday All,
I don't know that this is the best forum for this post but I am hoping someone can help me.

I am currently studying the Flight Safety Fairchild Metro "Pilot Training Manual".
I am hoping someone out there has more on this aircraft - video presentations etc. I am happy to pay for anything of use - or copies thereof.
I have not commenced any flying in the machine as yet but simply want to swat up as much as I can to help save on that illusive dollar that I am going to lose so much of when that phase kicks in!!!

My email is [email protected]

Thanks for any help.:8

18-Wheeler
8th Sep 2003, 20:33
A couple of comments on them -
1. Learn how to taxi without the nosewheel steering working. It'll fail one day, for sure.
2. No turns below about 140kts clean.
3. Gentle turns below 120kts with flap out.
4. DO do the weight & balance calculations, they really need to be done on such a long plane.

Frightplan
9th Sep 2003, 06:17
Cheers for your advice,

I appreciate any advice on this aircraft - no matter how insignificant it may seem to you.
We learn through experience (personal and otherwise)

So cheers again.

This will be my first turbine endorsement and perhaps I'm biting off a lot to chew on but I am really keen to get a command endorsement but then just sit in the right hand seat and soak it up for as long as it takes.

Thanks again - keep em coming!:ok:

chad valiant
9th Sep 2003, 13:13
For even better advice read the flight manual.
Never arm wrestle a metro pilot

wessex19
10th Sep 2003, 08:22
I heard there is a new check pilot at Horizon who knows everything!!! Just ask him.:mad:

CDT4
10th Sep 2003, 08:35
Have you been promised work? If so be very careful 3 friends of mine (all 2000 hrs plus) have completed metro endorsements with a promise of work in the past few months and are all either back flying pistons or still waiting on the promise to come good.

CDT4

Metro man
10th Sep 2003, 14:46
In no particular order :

1.In strong wind aim to park as near as possible into wind ,they do not like wind up the tail pipe or directly across the air intakes when starting.

2.Monitor battery/GPU voltage, and EGTs very carefully on start up. You shouldn't see more than 710-720 degrees, usually 690-700. 40% rpm seems to be the magic figure ,once the engine has accelerated to this level it will generally keep going .Be ready to go into series mode quickly if not using a GPU ,while the batteries still have some power left if the EGTs are increasing and the RPM hangs ,ie just stays where it is. Always be ready to abort a start rather than risk cooking the engine.

3.If running an engine without getting airborne ,increase RPM to high briefly to build up pressure to purge the system on shut down.

4.Pull the props through to expell hot air after shutdown ,always in the direction of rotation.

5.A SAS warning on the ground is usually because the SAS vane has blown upwards.

6.If the gear will not retract check the pip pin and handle.

7.Land with power on particularly when new ,can come down hard if you chop the throttles.

8.Be very carefull when moving the speed levers to idle after landing .Make sure you know ALL about bog downs.

9.Buy some hearing protection if you are going to be within sight of a Metro starting up ,even those $ 15.00 spring types from the DIY section in KMart are better than nothing. You will soon see why everyone stops working and sticks their fingers in their ears (known as the Garrett salute)

10.Know the particular aircraft you are flying ie its mod status for max to ,ZFW ,loading system used etc there are lots of
differences.

Have fun

The Hedge
10th Sep 2003, 17:08
Would that be Pel Air. And if so what is the situation?

Do they Guarantee a job after the Groundschool/Endorsement?

How many dollars are involved?

Soulman
10th Sep 2003, 19:13
A little off topic, but I couldn't help myself...

...they do not like wind up the tail pipe

Not sure of many people who do... Apart from the odd guy who bats for the wrong team! :p

Cheers,

Souls.

Frightplan
11th Sep 2003, 07:17
Thanks Metro Man

All Good:ok:

CT7
12th Sep 2003, 04:11
And when you get on the beast.... ENJOY IT it will be some of the best flying you'll get to do.

The windows fog up, and the windshield heat will come on and blur the windscreen just as you are in the flare and if it's a cross wind you may have to give it to the other chap as you might not be able to see ahead.

Have fun.

redsnail
13th Sep 2003, 03:03
Which brings us neatly back to not arm wrestling a metro driver. :E

apache
14th Sep 2003, 20:40
or... always arm wrestle a right handed metro captain ?