View Full Version : Saudi Impersonator really a **** of immense proportions

Sqwark2000
8th Sep 2003, 04:12
Sunday Star Times, Sun 8/9/03

Trainee pilot racks up huge loan while failing 18 exams
07 September 2003
By RACHEL GRUNWELL
and OSKAR ALLEY

A trainee pilot being prosecuted for sitting flying exams for a Saudi national claims he has taken out an $86,000 student loan to win his own wings.

A police source says the enormous student loan is a "travesty of justice. This man has got all this government money - money we will never see again".

The Sunday Star-Times has obtained Kevin Lenaghan's exam results which reveal he has failed at least 18 out of 27 pilot's exams within a year at taxpayers' expense. He has also spent the money on countless flying hours.

"Money is not a problem. I will spend what I have to to get my (pilot's) licence - even if it takes all the government's money," Lenaghan told the Star-Times.

"I'm not worried about paying the money back. I don't even think about it." The case comes as the government is moving to reign in large student loan provisions for aviation students, with new figures showing the scheme had blown out to $29.6 million in loans last year.

The 10 biggest individual student loans paid out last year all went to aviation students, with one receiving almost $140,000.

The 10 students collectively drew down $993,000 for one year of study.

Lenaghan, 27, pleaded not guilty to five charges of impersonation when he appeared in the Tauranga District Court on Wednesday.

Police allege he sat pilot's exams for a Saudi Arabian Al-Anzy Hussein.

It is alleged Lenaghan sat five exams between July 9 and August 5 using Hussein's name in a bid to gain his friend private and commercial pilot qualifications. He has elected to be tried by jury and is to appear for a pre-depositions hearing in Tauranga on September 25.

The case first sparked concern in the community because police thought there might be a terrorist link.

Speaking last week, Lenaghan said he sat Hussein's exams because he wanted to help his friend pass, as he struggled with English.

"My friends appreciate what I did - trying to help someone else out," said Lenaghan, who is hoping the criminal charges will be lessened.

They met while learning to fly at Ardmore Flying School in south Auckland and often went out partying together.

Ardmore chief flying instructor Warren Sattler said club general manager Craig Hunter alerted police to Lenaghan allegedly sitting exams for his friend.

"We heard about it through the grapevine so we phoned the powers that be," said Sattler.

"When he (Lenaghan) walked out of the examination room, he was met by the boys in blue."

Sattler said most of the students learning to fly at Ardmore had massive student loans. It cost about $60,000 to get a pilot's licence.

When Lenaghan was asked if he was given money to sit the exams for his friend, he said "I benefit in the end. After the court case, I'm going to the Middle East".

Lenaghan told police he got an $86,000 student loan to learn to fly.

"I applied over the phone and got the loan. It was something I wanted to do. I've driven trucks, cars and motorbikes and thought, wow, planes would be the next one."

He wanted to eventually get his commercial pilot's licence and fly jets for Hussein's father, whom he claims is a billionaire who owns jets in Saudi Arabia and has promised him a job.

"But I'm not sure when I will pass. I'm not sure how many times I've failed . . . quite a few," said Lenaghan. "There's a reason why people are failing - it's the quality of the exams.

"Our family has had their troubles. All sorts. But they don't like me talking about it," he said, adding his mother was unhappy about him trying to sit someone else's exam. "She thought I was stupid. But hey, it's my life. I can do what I want."

troppo
8th Sep 2003, 04:35
one may find it hard to work anywhere with a criminal conviction...and courts usually hand down heavier sentences to those who plead not guilty and are found guilty...

um saw tv coverage last week of the day in court on 3 news i think...nearly pissed my self

winner:ok:

Kaptin M
8th Sep 2003, 04:56
A few of the choice "classics" gleaned from the above report,
""There's a reason why people are failing - it's the quality of the exams." :p

"I've driven trucks, cars and motorbikes and thought, wow, planes would be the next one." :cool:

""(Mum) thought I was stupid. But hey, it's my life. I can do what I want." :ok:

""Money is not a problem. I will spend what I have to to get my (pilot's) licence - even if it takes all the government's money." :O

""I applied over the phone and got the loan.....I'm not worried about paying the money back. I don't even think about it." ;)

Eurocap
8th Sep 2003, 05:03
Another Dickh**d who ruins it for others.

Typical of todays society. Me! Me! Me! first, to hell with the others. I know my rights, to hell with my responsibilities.

What sane airline Operator would employ an a**hole like that.

His name will be on the National Blacklist, unless of course they are desperate and that looks unlikely in the near future.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :E :E

prospector
8th Sep 2003, 05:58
The man is surely an idiot of the first order. Only the people that have set up this system, that makes a mockery of the whole idea of student loan system, would be more idiotic.

Prospector

Thump & Go
8th Sep 2003, 06:09
Slipped into the gene-pool while the lifeguard wasn't watching I'd say.

Only 5 more fails to go for the record.....;)

anti-skid
8th Sep 2003, 06:24
Thump & Go,

Sure about that record? Ive seen some shocking results
pages. eg. fail,fail,fail,fail,fail,pass!,fail,fail,etc...

Maybe asl should place a *take a hint* after so many.

Split Flap
8th Sep 2003, 07:57
What a complete twit, I saw him on telly and he was a caucasian guy and spoke with a kiwi accent, he then went and claimed to be a person named Anzy Hussein. And then is suprised he is caught. Hmmm another rocket scientist in he making, ah well he will probably get a job with CAA!!!!:{

currawong
8th Sep 2003, 13:32
OR,

He could fail a few more and find himself in a Cathay intake...

:E :E :E

troppo
8th Sep 2003, 14:36
currawong...mate thats priceless!!!:ok:

splatgothebugs
8th Sep 2003, 15:39
I think we are all being a bit generous on the name calling.

The ****wit has opted to trial by jury, oh please pick me for the trail. :mad: makes the whole industry look bad:yuk:

Anti Skid On
8th Sep 2003, 16:29
So I can pop over to TG and have a fun day out!

Thump & Go
8th Sep 2003, 18:13
Currawong, thats the record to beat! Although,to be fair she didn't actually make it - NZCAA put paid to that!

Is the trial(<- take note splatgothebugs) to be held in AKL or TRG? I'm a starter -sounds like compulsory viewing:p

Wheel's spinning but the hamster's dead!:D :D :D

anti-skid
8th Sep 2003, 19:36
Didnt she :mad: her way into cx?

Post all court particulars here, sounds like compulsory
viewing alright!:}

reynoldsno1
10th Sep 2003, 07:20
The guy looked and sounded like an extra from "Bad Taste", with no offence meant to Peter Jackson.... I think there is little chance he will bring anything into disrepute ... he only has to open his mouth to confirm anyone's initial assessment

prospector
10th Sep 2003, 10:49
Only had to open his mouth to be given $86, 000. Who are the idiots??? the people giving surely!!!!!

Prospector

Thump & Go
10th Sep 2003, 13:53
Depositions hearing scheduled for Sep 25 at the Tauranga District Court.
Bummer, wont be able to make it! When someone finds out when the trial proper starts please post it here.

As for the student loan over the phone - I think he's talking out his ar$e (a distinct possibility). Since when could you get a loan without paperwork?

Perhaps the real idiots are the ones who continue to train someone who deserves the "golf" speech. More proof that some kind of aptitude test should be carried out - right now anyone with deep enough pockets can get a licence:*

nike
10th Sep 2003, 14:14
right now anyone with deep enough pockets can get a licence

when has this not been the case??:confused:

splatgothebugs
10th Sep 2003, 14:23
I think he may have been refering to the tax payers pockets. In other words yours and mine:*

Thump & Go
10th Sep 2003, 14:49
The statement was not meant to imply a particular "era", rather that if you can throw enough money at it you can probably get there in the end. The problem is that these "candidates" (I use the term loosely) obviously have no natural aptitude/ no genuine interest (CPL sounds better than a BA to the chicks etc) or no brains and NO chance of getting where they told their parents they would! Agreed, you don't have to be a world beater to be in this business,but a modicum of common sense and the right attitude sure help.
With the advent of full funding,your average "I'm here for the wrong reasons" candidate can get further through their training prior to dropping out, or they can start training when in the past they simply would not have been able. Meanwhile they waste other students time while the instructor explains for the 3rd time that gravity ALWAYS acts toward the centre of the Earth!!
No performance based checks (it seems) are required by the ministry to get/keep getting a loan - ie the tax payers money.

For that matter no performance based checks are required by ASL!?

If you find it tough and get through with the right attitude - Great! If you get through then kill someone - that sux!

I've had my rant for the night - sorry in advance:ok:

nike
10th Sep 2003, 15:02
T&H,

I agree and thats where it is unfortunate that institutions like AFS etc do not have systems in place to put pay to individuals like this one before any training commences. i.e. as you say aptitude tests.

Even if this individual was told to take a hike, (at least I hope he has been) there is no doubt that a fair whack of the $86k was accepted all too eagerly.

How many other cases exist? How many students/wannabe's have you come across and thought that they would not make it?

splatgothebugs
10th Sep 2003, 15:03
I think most people would agree Thump.

Maybe the government should look @ changing certain criteria, ie if you don't pass exams or attend lectures to a certain level your funding is pulled straight away no questions asked.

That might weed out those individuals that should be playin g golf :D

Thump & Go
10th Sep 2003, 15:29
All of the above is irrelevant for this tool " 'cause, I'm going to the Middle East after the court case" - to fly jets no doubt!:p

I'll laugh hard if he ends up in prison - he deserves it for that statement alone.:ok:

currawong
10th Sep 2003, 15:46
Wonder if the penny will drop, when he finds himself in the right hand seat being told what to do by the reject he was doing the exams for....

This one was caught, makes one wonder how many have got through without being caught.

prospector
11th Sep 2003, 13:34
Do believe the following is very relevant to the subject being discussed.
Report 02-006 Partenavia P68B, ZK-ZSP, engine power loss and off-field landing 5 km southwest of Wairoa, 15 May 2002.
On 20th November 2002 the Commission recommended to the Director of Civil Aviation that he: ENHANCE THE POLICY AND PROCEDURES FOR AIRCREW LICENSING WRITTEN EXAMINATIONS, THEIR PURPOSE AND CONSTRUCTION, AND THE CRITERIA THAT IS APPLIED TO EXAMINATION RESITS, SO THE 'PRACTICE EFFECT' DOES NOT UNDERMINE THE EXAMINATION PROCESS'
On 31st October 2002 the Director of Civil Aviation had responded to the preliminary safety recommendation accepting it. The recommendation remained unchanged and became final. The Directors response to the preliminary recommendation has been accepted and the final response and states in part.
THE DIRECTOR WILL ACCEPT THE RECOMMENDATION AS WORDED IN THAT THE CURRENT REVIEW OF RULE 61 ADDRESSES THESE MATTERS AND A NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULE MAKING IS CURRENTLY BEING DRAFTED FOR THE PUBLIC CONSULTATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE CIVIL AVIATION ACT.
Now then chaps no need to worry, the solution to the problem of sitting exams many many many times is in hand. The Director has stated as much, the amount of thought that has to go into a major amendment of this nature requires time, one wonders HOW MUCH TIME?????

Prospector

troppo
11th Sep 2003, 15:32
speaking of TAIC reports...anyone read the PA31-325 at Fielding crash report that came out this week?

any thoughts?

incidently....how come TAIC ended up with this and it wasnt just a normal CAA crash report?

prospector
14th Sep 2003, 06:03
One thought springs to mind.
Thou shalt not make a stuffup or the ground will arise and smite thee.

Prospector

stillalbatross
14th Sep 2003, 07:18
Fortunately for Kiwis there is in NZ a vast number of bitter and twisted people who wanted to fly for Air NZ, didn't get the chance, and spend an awfully large amount of their time screwing over anybody else who has embarked on an aviation career.

Maybe all future wannabees should be subject to some sort of Kangaroo Court via a forum like this and others should decide if they are worthy of a career in aviation.

currawong
14th Sep 2003, 07:47
1/ The incidents referred to relate to poor airmanship

2/ If one exibits poor enough airmanship, one can expect repercussions, such as death, permanent disability, regulatory action or just plain ridicule

3/ If you are close to the action refered, do not take it personally. All of the above was preventable, had the regulator been doing its job properly. This is where the criticism is really directed.

4/ Since when is Air NZ the center of the aviation universe?

prospector
14th Sep 2003, 08:57
Stillalbatross;
In the context of the thread I am afraid I am having difficulty understanding your post.
Why is it fortunate for Kiwi's that we have vast numbers of bitter and twisted people who wished to fly for ANZ????
For some punters that was their ambition and those that made it certainly put in the hard yards. But ANZ was certainly not the ambition of many others who found much satisfaction in other spheres of aviation activity. If you are of the opinion that the person whose activities started the thread is in any way deserving of any sympathy than I do believe you are much in need of an accelerated course in reality.

Prospector

stillalbatross
18th Sep 2003, 08:22
Maybe I didn't explain myself too well. I thought the post was leading towards people not getting an equal opportunity to pursue an aviation career in NZ. You can smite the P68 driver as being inept but where does it all end. Who decides what is a basic mistake and what is a major airmanship error. In context I was referring to the fact that there may be a lot of people not in Air NZ who, like myself are relatively happy with their current lot. But there is also a large number who are flying in NZ who hate the operator they are currently with, blame the industry for their current predicament and would seize every opportunity to screw a fellow aviator if they could.

No. I wasn't for a minute saying that the Arab deserved any simpathy but how can you draw parallels with the other incident. For my money the Queen Air crash and the inability of two pilots to deadstick a benign aircraft in VMC into a large bunch of paddocks was even stupider. And everybody died.

All I am saying is it's a slippery slope.

prospector
18th Sep 2003, 10:25
stillalbatross,
The point I was making was that the CAA were going to rectify the problem of people sitting the theory exams ad infinitum until such time as they scraped through. This was brought up in the accident report quoted, the Director made the statements quoted on the recommendation of the TAIC. According to the newspaper article the person in question had sat the exams 27 times. So obviously, as I stated in previous post, the decision to take the action as stated, and actually having the end affect required, must have been put in the too hard basket. I agree with your sentiment stated re Queen Air accident, and there is even more that is cause for concern that was not pointed out in the accident report.

Prospector

currawong
18th Sep 2003, 11:53
re Queen Air

Is it widely known the engines/parts thereof flew again?

Just food for thought if you crew something with IO - 720...

squire
23rd Sep 2003, 16:14
No business has morals or we would not have terms like "Risk Management Assesment" as in where the automobile manufacturer concludes that while a percentage of his vehicles will explode frying the unfortunate. It is within acceptable financial boundaries and simply easier to pay-off the impending lawsuits as they happen, than make changes to the manufacturing process.
Its also why all the shonky factories and chemical timebombs are dumped in some black-fellas country.
So what makes you think flying schools should be any different?:ok:

CT7
24th Sep 2003, 12:31
Oh it's great to get a chuckle from this thread.

However, how can can this dic#@acker leave this country with such a loan?

Glad to see some agreeing with the requirement of periodic checks & balances with loans!
$86000! Man I could'a bought an investment property with that and still done some flying!

Looking forward to the court reports....

And given the current CAA manager, don't expect anything to get better. He's the worst example we could possibly have as the head of our CAA!

splatgothebugs
24th Sep 2003, 17:29
CT7, I agree

If you would all like a laugh (another) Laugh @ this twats expense, there is another threed floating around about his parents. They are currently in trouble with the local council because their back yard resembles the local tip. "bloody good laugh"

"Check out the old mans comments you may be surprised (or not) but they have the same overtones as their half breed son"

P.S. I didn't know that inbreeding was the in thing around Auckland these days" :}

Thump & Go
25th Sep 2003, 02:58
I think you'll find it's his mother (or is that sister...), splat, but in this particular case it probably doesn't matter - I'd bet he hasn't noticed.
Depositions start today TRG District Court - sorry don't know when.:(

ps: I think inbreeding is confined to isolated parts of Auckland West :D and most of Hokitika ;)

splatgothebugs
25th Sep 2003, 12:23
We should make up some protest signs Thump and go do some geering.

"Now what on earth could we sing", any ideas :)

prospector
26th Sep 2003, 13:30
Did anybody get to the courthouse and in a position to pass on latest developments??????

Prospector

Audi Mate!
27th Sep 2003, 19:50
Can't believe AFS took all his (our taxpayer) money before deciding to do something about it!!! Good on them for trying I guess but when It's our tax money, it's not really such a joke! They have every resource available to screen candidates, but refrain from doing so, to allow the student loans to be spent on flight hours before saying... sorry your paperwork doesn't cut the grades, thanks for the $60k.
Is the Govt. going to hurry up and put a brake on this misconduct? Somebody PLEASE shed me some inside light here.:8

anti-skid
28th Sep 2003, 04:49
As good as :mad: flying school is at giving the unemployed
and ihc eligible people large loans, I cant see this twot
having a loan of $86,000 and nothing to show for it!!?

What would he have? 5 subjects(PPL) and 350 hours!?

If that is the case, we should be following their court case
as well!:yuk: What next? Rolly hei hei goes solo?

Thump & Go
28th Sep 2003, 04:58
Aren't Rolly's sunnies still in that pool? :D

Thump & Go
29th Sep 2003, 06:14
NZ Herald (sorry don't know the date):

An Auckland man accused of sitting pilot's licence exams for a Saudi Arabian national will go to trial on 5 charges of personation.
Kevin Anthony Lenaghan, 27, has been further remanded on bail until October 30 for callover in the Tauranga District Court.
His lawyer, Craig Tuck, conceded there was a prima facie case after written depositions had been handed up to a community magistrate in the court yesterday.Lenaghan entered not guilty pleas to all counts.
Conditions of Lenaghan's bail include surrendering his passport and not entering any airport in NZ.
Deposition evidence outlined how Lenaghan had posed as Naif Hussein Al-Anazy to sit pilot's theory exams for the Saudi, who had by then left NZ. Authorities were tipped off by 2 anonymous letters.
Mostyn Bowler, a part-time examiner for ASL, said he met Lenaghan 3 times in Tauranga and knew him as Al-Anazy, the name he sat the exams under and for which he had an ID card.
Detective John Love from the Manakau CIB said he had received a complaint about Lenaghan and Al-Anazy in July. On August 5, he observed the defendant when he sat an exam in Tauranga.
He approached Lenaghan, identifieding himself as a police officer, and said: "Gidday mate. What's your name?"
The defendant told him his real name and said he had sat exams 3 or 4 times for Al-Anazy, who was in Saudi Arabia.
He showed the detective an international student ID card carring a photograph of himself but the name of Al-Anazy.
The general manager of Ardmore Flying School, Craig Hunter, said Lenaghan had started pilot training early August last year. Al-Anazy had enrolled 5 months earlier and, initially, his English was very poor. He attended an English language course and then returned to the flying school.
Mr Hunter said he had kept a close eye on the Saudi Arabian's results and he had failed every one he sat.
Personation is a rarely used charge laid under the Crimes Act and carries a maximum penalty of 7 years in jail.

What a Winner!:ok:

splatgothebugs
29th Sep 2003, 10:02
Lock him up:)

Sorry to ask, but what the hell is a, "PRIMA FACIE" case?

I guess we are all heading over to Tauranga on Oct 30th for a laugh. :)

troppo
29th Sep 2003, 12:22
splat...

from the latin term...at a first sight

kinda like yeah you been caught doin it but its new territory

also kinda like...u the first dumb ass to get caught doin it and hopefully the judge will prescribe the bar of soap to deter future dumb asses from doin it...

kinda picked the wrong time to be impersonating someone of middle eastern descent...imagine what you would get it you did it in the US!

anti-skid
29th Sep 2003, 12:40
After much thought,

I think he should plead insanity, sue AFS for $86,000+interest,
pay back the tax payer and :mad: off to pak'n'save where he
can swap name badges to his hearts content:ok:

currawong
29th Sep 2003, 18:56
October 30, OCTOBER 30!!!

Thats tomorrow!

I can barely contain myself....

prima-facie evidence n. Law. evidence that is sufficient to establish a fact or to raise a presumption of the truth unless controverted.

Thankyou Collins Concise.

Right between "prima donna" and "primal", funnily enough.:ok:

Anti Skid On
29th Sep 2003, 20:59
Don't pop over to TG tomorrow - you'll have to watch the usual rubbish (D&D, driving uncer the influence, battering yer missus, etc.)

It is still September here in NZ!

squire
30th Sep 2003, 10:01
The wheels of "Justice" turn slowly. How long will it take to pay back and who should pay, I am not so sure if this idiot is solely culpable.

splatgothebugs
30th Sep 2003, 10:27
Thank you Tropo, had me scratching a bit. You know they say the day you stop learning is the day you die :)

The only exclusion to that saying is the **** we are all talking about;)

currawong
30th Sep 2003, 19:23
Thanks Anti Skid On.

The dictionary

The stubbies

The...

The...

Calender!!! Thats it.

Roll on next month.

( I was really really looking forward to that)

Thump & Go
2nd Oct 2003, 01:20
Splat, we need a bus of some description - like a school bus or a van - any ideas?

Formal Notice : "The **** of immense proportions tour"
Date: Oct 30
Time: TBA
Anyone have any poster paint? How 'bout a screen-printing setup? T-shirts,placards......ahhh, the possibilities are endless.

Anti-skid, I don't think he'll jave a problem pleading insanity, hell he's even got a family history of it!!! As for returning to pak-n-slave I'm sure a condition of employment is to have an IQ higher than most of the other vegetables in the produce section.:D

splatgothebugs
2nd Oct 2003, 10:59
Thump, I ve got plenty of spare time these days I'll see if one of the restless locals can drive a bus.

Do we require picks and axes for this tour?????????????

Woomera
2nd Oct 2003, 11:11
currawong

October 30, OCTOBER 30!!!

Thats tomorrow!

I think your calendar is either 28 days fast - or 337 days slow.....

W

Anti Skid On
2nd Oct 2003, 20:47
Can we agree a dress code so we know who each other is?

Thump & Go
3rd Oct 2003, 03:15
In the movies they used to wear roses didn't they? Not really my style though!? Anti-skid & Anti-skid on perhaps you guys could wear large "ON" & "OFF" logos so we know which is which. ;)

No axes required splat, far too quick. Send him off to "Her Majesty's" with a bar of soap. :E :E Maybe ZK-VAN is available that day?

Does anyone know what time this thing is on the 30th?

anti-skid
3rd Oct 2003, 04:37
I'll be the one told to get out for laughing:D

currawong
5th Oct 2003, 08:41
Thanks Woomera, think it may be my body clock thats out...

Does this bus float? West Islanders are always up for a cheap laugh:ok:

Thump & Go
15th Oct 2003, 11:53
15 days to go.......:E

anti-skid
30th Oct 2003, 11:00
Wasnt today the day?

currawong
30th Oct 2003, 11:36
Come on fellas, what's the update.

Always up for a laugh....

asw28-866
30th Oct 2003, 15:19
Wonder if he is multi talented and can also impersonate a pom? That way if they let him off, he can do mine as well!

Colonel Blink
31st Oct 2003, 04:08
I'm in TG next week - hope it's been delayed!!

splatgothebugs
31st Oct 2003, 04:11
If you all give me a couple of hours I will post what is printed in the BOP times when it comes out. :ok:

splatgothebugs
31st Oct 2003, 08:32
BOP Times,

Hidden in a tiny article on the third page,

"CASE IS DELAYED UNTIL 27TH JANUARY 2004"

Just gives everybody more time to arrange to go have a laugh.

Until then aye:ok:

Colonel Blink
3rd Nov 2003, 06:59
I just wanted a couple of days delay so I'd be in TG - god knows where I'll be in January!!

dwnunderblunderer
23rd Nov 2003, 15:19
That oxygen thief is certainly a waste of play-lunch. But what fantasic entertainment.

squire
8th Apr 2004, 00:19
Auckland student pleads guilty to sitting pilot exams for Saudi

11.45am
An anti-terrorism investigation by the American CIA and New Zealand Security Intelligence Service has prompted a student pilot who impersonated a Saudi national at Tauranga Airport to make a shock guilty plea.

In a surprise turnaround, Kevin Anthony Lenaghan, 27, admitted sitting pilot exams for an Arab friend who struggled with English and had already failed more than a dozen tests to get his licence.

The Aucklander initially denied a charge of impersonating the son of a Saudi billionaire -- but made an unscheduled appearance in Tauranga District Court last week and pleaded guilty. He had been due to appear at a later date.

Lenaghan's arrest at Tauranga Airport sparked a national security alert in July and a widespread investigation involving the SIS the CIA and FBI -- along with the New Zealand police and aviation security agencies.

The inquiries, which partly prompted Lenaghan to change his plea, found he had no terrorist links but was merely a "hapless" petty criminal.

Lenaghan's defence counsel, Craig Tuck, told the court that his client changed his plea because he got a "reality check".

Looking back with "20/20 hindsight", Lenaghan realised the stupidity of his actions, Mr Tuck said.

With the raft of high-powered security agencies investigating him, Lenaghan realised how seriously his actions were viewed and that things had got out of hand.

Through his counsel, Lenaghan told the court that he sat the exams because he felt sorry for a "sick Arab" -- fellow aviation student Naif Hussein Al-Anazy.

They were both studying for private and commercial pilot licences at Ardmore Flying School, South Auckland.

Mr Al-Anazy failed 16 exams before they cooked up a plan to get the Saudi man his licence.

Before he was arrested, Lenaghan sat five exams in Tauranga.

He was caught leaving one of the exams after police and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) were tipped off by an anonymous letter.

Mr Al-Anazy's father is a billionaire who owns a polytechnic and planes in the United Arab Emirates.

The Arab fled New Zealand before Lenaghan's arrest and the pair no longer have any contact, Mr Tuck said.

Left facing criminal charges -- and banned from airports and not allowed to continue flying lessons -- Lenaghan decided to change his plea.

CAA spokesman Bill Sommer confirmed an investigation had cleared Lenaghan of any terrorism links.

Mr Sommer said it appeared Lenaghan had sat the exams for Al-Anazy for money and the promise of a job on aircraft owned by the Arab's father, rather than anything more sinister.

South Auckland detective John Love said outside the court he was surprised that Lenaghan would have tried to pass himself off as an Arab, as he looked nothing like a Saudi -- more like the son in the British television comedy Steptoe and Son.

He said "hapless" Lenaghan was more than likely conned by the Arab, who had since severed all ties with his former friend.

Al-Anazy flew to Saudi Arabia during the time Lenaghan was sitting exams for him and has never returned.

The detective in charge of Lenaghan's investigation, Acting Senior Sergeant Neil Grimstone, said the case was still open because Al-Anazy was at large.

Mr Grimstone said security alerts would be triggered at New Zealand airports if he entered the country again.

Lenaghan now studies business at an Auckland polytechnic, his lawyer said.

Lenaghan will be sentenced at the end of April. He faces a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.

- BAY OF PLENTY TIMES

the maori mobster
9th Apr 2004, 03:18
oh bro!!!

the dude is stupidier than some of the cuzzies. dumb b@stard all those convictions - i could have shown how to do it properly.....

watching holmes last night - he kinda looks stupid. mother looks hot!!!

dude is from otara though... thumbs up to dat:ok:

i though massey was bad - arddie moro must be da best place for training if they take convicts - why don't they call the place australia flying school.

Jack Sprat
9th Apr 2004, 05:29
I thought there was some limit to the number of times a candidate may attempt (the same) CAA exam? A figure of 16 fails was mentioned above. Presumably they were PPL exam fails and therefore not subject to restiction in sitting times. Can anyone confirm?
A pilot involved in a forced landing on the East Coast a year of two ago if memory serves was criticised for the number of times exams were attempted / failed. It sounds like nothing has come of the criticism voiced at that time (in the accident report too wasn't it?)
Here's an opportunity to remove unsuitable people from flying training and for those multitudes on student loans, stop just a little wastage of money.

Cypher
10th Apr 2004, 13:07
The twot's interview on Holmes....

http://video.nzoom.com/winvideo_128k/0,,pilot_080404-onenews,00.html

After watching his brilliant display of digging himself into a deeper hole, I get the impression that the wheel is spinning but the hampster is well and truely dead... probably from suicide.... :}

Also mentions he has countless convictions for dishonesty and petty theft.. sounds hardly capable of holding a CAA Fit and Proper Person status... :rolleyes:

I think his Arab 'friend' has all done us a favor...

Was that incident you mentioned Sprat about that Partbanana pulling off that forced landing near Wairoa with one engine inop and a dry tank?

Think I remember reading that TAIC report.. the conclusions were pretty damning... as well as a recommendation to the CAA that the examination system should be tightened against repeat failers. I remember one conclusion being that those who failed again and again simply knew what questions to expect after sitting the same subject over and over again. Hence they got good at sitting the exam itself but didn't know jack about the subject being tested...

Luke SkyToddler
10th Apr 2004, 15:28
... that part-banana pilot got into Cathay a few weeks later :(

Cypher
10th Apr 2004, 23:33
I heard the said pilot got ditched because they didn't make it through training...

prospector
11th Apr 2004, 09:44
Not quite correct from what I have been told.

A copy of the accident report forwarded to the powers that be in Cathay Pacific.

Now talk of a Court action against the people that published said examination history.

The wheel has got to be reinvented time and time again. A limit was set as to the number of exam sittings a candidate may attempt before being made ineligible way back in the early 60's. It was after the exam history was made public, after a fatal accident involving a Fletcher out on a training sortie, just after the pilot gained Commercial licence.

Prospector

Jack Sprat
12th Apr 2004, 02:26
Hey Prospector, is there a reference to the limits on the number of sittings? I've seen a response to an individual from ASL after a multiple fail. Do they make these rules or CAA? Would be interested to know how this works.

prospector
12th Apr 2004, 08:35
Jack Sprat,
Don't believe it is laid down anywhere now. It was another piece of knowledge, gained by hard experience, that was thrown out with the bathwater when this new style Civil Aviation Authority took over from Civil aviation Division in the early 80's.

To appreciate the new order of things suggest you read the Media release from the Director, dated 25th March 2004 appertaining to comments by the Taumaranui Coroner.

Read the coroner's report appertaining to Accident Report 97-012 Beech Baron ZK-KVL 11 June 1997. Part 5.3 of the same report is relevant.

Have all these coroners got it wrong relating to the duties and responsibilities of the Civil Aviation Authority>????

Prospector

troppo
12th Apr 2004, 10:42
number of sittings

from ASL website

RETRAINING PERIODS
The CAA requires that candidates who consistently fail examinations undergo a “retraining period”. Any candidate who fails any specific written or oral examination three times within a period of three months shall be ineligible to re-sit that examination for a period of three months from the date of their last unsuccessful attempt.

why?

http://www.taic.org.nz/aviation/02-006.pdf.

of note 4.4 and 4.5 re NPRM

not 100% but as i can't find it on caa website but i have vague recollections of a change to the resit periods being detailed in that caa news magazine that u get in the mail

BattleSTARGalatica
13th Apr 2004, 09:35
retraining....well seem to recall an ex Ardmore flying school student fail pretty much all their exams countless times. This pilot then landed a banana full of punters on a beach in the Hawkes Bay couple of years back. Countless being 8 ish for one or two. 6 times for another couple. maybe not cut out to be pilots???

ZK-NSN
14th Apr 2004, 04:42
This retard really shows what the student loan scheme can create. How a person with 30 criminal convictions is allowed to sit for a licence and get a huge govt loan.

I hope it was'nt the GATK exam that he did for Abdul because on the holmes interveiw he pointed to the engine attatched to the sunderland at motat and said " thats a nice big turbine engine."

the dude is a retard who makes us all look like losers. The only advantage that has really come out of it is that ASL procedures and that checking procedures of the govt when they're passing out all this cash is crap.

lock him up with the sobimites.

NoseGear
14th Apr 2004, 22:42
NSN, Lenaghan has already been locked up with the sodomites. I remember him from his previous visit to Her Majesteys Hotel. He is an utter loser and how he got a loan is beyond me. Perhaps a good question to be asked of the government??
I wonder if he reads this forum? If he does, Kev, is your brother you narced on out yet or still rotting in the Mount?

Nosey

troppo
30th Apr 2004, 23:48
woohoo!...3news last nite reported he got the 'bar of soap'...i mean 15 months in jail...! :p

flyby_kiwi
1st May 2004, 04:30
15months according to the Herald also.

Without expressising a for/against opinion - Isint that about the same penalty for Euthanasia? :ooh:

Thump & Go
1st May 2004, 08:10
Pardon the anal humour but.........bummer!;)

currawong
1st May 2004, 09:18
Cost to the taxpayer is?

Plus loan that will not be repayed?

One expensive individual.:yuk:

ZK-NSN
5th May 2004, 08:26
15 months, sweet...but being in good old NZ he'll either serve a month and be free or get home detention. Chuck the loser in Mt eden with the big boys from "up north" that will learn him.:ok:

Swamp Donkey
11th May 2004, 01:40
Another of AFS's finest products.......may he get lashings of "brown sugar" whilst in the BIG house!