PDA

View Full Version : Defence Review

ORAC
7th Sep 2003, 16:55
The Sunday Times: Billions at stake in defence study

BILLIONS of pounds in contracts face the axe in a budget review carried out for a new white paper on defence policy.

Reductions in the numbers of heavy tanks, nuclear submarines, frigates and fighter aircraft are expected. Conclusions were to have been announced in 10 days’ time. But delays and the distraction caused by the Hutton inquiry mean an announcement is not expected until next month.

Defence-industry sources said scrutiny of all big projects by Sir Peter Spencer, who took over as head of defence procurement earlier this year, had run in tandem with the white paper review. A Ministry of Defence source said: “Since Spencer arrived he has been looking at all major contracts to make sure they are affordable.”

In order to focus on “network-enabled” warfare strategies, up to £2 billion a year will have to be trimmed from spending plans. At risk are the new Astute class nuclear attack submarines, Type 45 frigates, the Joint Strike Fighter and the Eurofighter Typhoon. The money saved will be diverted into transport aircraft, light armoured vehicles, and high-tech communications.

The Joint Strike Fighter order may be cut from 150 to about 110, while the Typhoon order may be cut by about 50 aircraft..........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cuts in the JSF and Typhoon have been on the cards for a while. The numbers haven't matched the planned force structure for a while. The savings will help fund the rumoured 5 additional C-17s required and the A-400M.

We now know where the funds for the new CV and their CEC and comms kit will come from. The decision about Astute* isn't a surprise, but the inclusion of the T45s seems out of line with future plans.

(* I'm surprised that the MR4 isn't mentioned, I'd been expecting a reduction in both orders as a result of the recent debacle. Anyone want to take a bet on it being mentioned in the final paper?) :hmm:

whowhenwhy
7th Sep 2003, 17:30
Anyone else hear part of a dromedary breaking?

There She Goes
7th Sep 2003, 22:57
There are all sorts of rumours flying about this one (right up PRUNE's street) however, ORAC I am surprised that apart from the Paras taking over the Marines, that not alot of 'rumour' is actually being speculated about on these kind of forums.

Is it disbelief as to how many more pounds of flesh does El Presidente want, or actually have they (the Strategic level think tanks etc) got it right and we have to look ourselves in the mirror and say well actually lets move with the times and not spend billions on boats and tanks or AD?

Are we at the coal face being luddites? Is this like the horse and the tank in 1914? Do we really need new fandangled subs or so many Typhoons when c-17, BOWMAN etc etc are what real world events are cying out for here and now? I know... I know...it will only take one 3 rd world Mig to wreak havoc with HVAA or an SH Air Assault, but how much money is really left in the pot with everything else in this country (NHS, Schools, Trains etc etc) going down the pan.

I am up for anything and still believe in Loyalty when Her Majesty wants to kick off somewhere, provided that we are correctly supported, funded, managed and resourced. If punching above our weight is becoming a problem (i.e. Sir - there is no one left) then should we not concentrate on Homeland Defence? When/If this terrorist attack takes in UK place I think that MACA/MACP tasks will require significant numbers (where was that factored into todays London exercise?)

Despite this, the rumour I heard that 4 Infantry Battalions were going beggars belief as we (UK MoD Plc) try and scrabble around to find re-inforcements for Iraq.

I am completely confused by all of this and no one has really explained what is going on. Does a White Paper instantly become policy or is it talked about for another 5 years before anything is physically done.

Procurement cuts/initial buys I can see being done relatively easy. I.e. Thanks Mr BAe Systems - but no thanks (and of course we MoD Plc will have to pay a significant penalty clause). But what about future structures and manning levels?

So any other rumours out there lurking in the crewrooms?

Yours Clueless!

Navaleye
8th Sep 2003, 20:37
Some fresh thinking is needed. I agree with the notion that our armed forces should match the technology and capability of the US, albeit on a much smaller scale (1/10th?)

MarkD
8th Sep 2003, 22:02
Navaleye

1/10th? US/UK population ratio 290m:60m or less than 5:1. on a per capita basis, UK would be punching significantly below, unless one decides the US is overspending, which may not be wrong...