PDA

View Full Version : small aerodrome training disadvantages???

marks99
7th Sep 2003, 10:53
G'day all,

Have been looking around at training costs to do a PPL in Brisbane. While all the schools at Archerfield have pretty similar fees. The schools at small aerodromes away from the city (such as redcliffe) are a fair bit cheaper.

Anyone know of any disadvantages with training at the smaller airfields (apart from the longer drive to get there :) )?

Ash767
7th Sep 2003, 13:55
Marks99

A few advantages of flying at a smaller Aerodrome are. The taxi to and from the hanger/club house can be a lot shorter, also holding is basically non existent. You do not have the air traffic to deal with and mostly the aerodrome is located in the training area so there is no transiting to the training area.

Regards
Ash767:)

Poto
7th Sep 2003, 16:47
Smaller airfields usually mean smaller training organistions. These can have the advantage of a more personal approach to the training. There can be considerable years of experience getting around these smaller airfields and you are likely to strike the CFI for the better part of the training, as opposed to the 300hr grade three with limited information to impart.
The Smaller airfield however doesn't provide you with a large number of Pilot wannabes to crack cans with. These are the guys and gals you will be working alongside in the future. Not a bad idea to get to know 'em now. :ok:

solowflyer
7th Sep 2003, 18:17
Having trained with both large and small training organisations and airfields, I much perfer the smaller opperators.

Smaller ogrganisations usually allow for more flexible flight sceduling, most of the instructors I have come accross are very experienced and are there because they enjoy instructing and not focused on building hours.

The only real downside is the aircraft are usually older.

You will probably make quite a saving with airways and landing fees as well at a smaller field.

Up side of training at a larger airfield is getting used to flying in cogested airspace this can be very scary if your not used to it.

Alot of flying time can be wasted trying to find a free piece of sky in which to practice training menouvours in congested airspace.

To sum up, Stick to the smaller fields/organisation but make sure you get plenty of practice flying in busy airspace if you can

good luck:ok:

ControlLock
7th Sep 2003, 18:22
Marks99

Never flown with Redcliffe but first hand knowledge says they are a good crowd.

Benefits have already been stated but also consider later on you have direct access to CTA in upper levels and makes for a cheaper IF training school as well with BNE. Archers aint that far away either.

Capt EFIS
7th Sep 2003, 21:41
I conducted my flying training out of an MBZ airfield, and found that on Nav's we would travel to the GAAP and CTA fields for the experience.

Learning how to seperate yourself from other aircraft at OCTA airfields is a great help, as you will find you'll need to know this if you land an outback charter job at a busy MBZ.

Below 5000
8th Sep 2003, 17:38
Howdy,

I conducted all my training up to CPL at a small country-based flying school, with a grand total of one instructor. After which did some training with a larger flying school on the coast (due to the fact the "One instructor school" didn't have instrument training approval / facilities).

Having trained with both I would certainly recommend the smaller training organisations. As mentioned by others, apart from cost savings, there is generally less time spent "on the ground" waiting for clearances, traffic or just getting to the runway. Also training areas are generally a lot closer to the aerodrome.

Learn to fly the aircraft with minimal radio work & control zone procedures ( compared to say YBAF or YBCG ). When the Navs start happening you will most certainly get your fair share of "the big smoke".

Having only one or two instructors, I think is more personal, rather than getting a different instructor each time you go flying. Every instructor has his/her own idea on how to do certain things.

All the best with the training anyway.

B5k

:ok: :ok:

bigfella5
9th Sep 2003, 09:24
"and you should achieve your training goal much closer to the minimum legal time than you would at a flying school at a towered airport in the big smoke that is staffed by acne-ridden 19 year old instructors with five gold bars and 250 hours total time. "
Oh.....you nasty nasty nasty man.....!!!!!!
Think I'll take a Vincents and have a good sit down!!
:ok: :ok: :ok:

FO Cokebottle
10th Sep 2003, 08:53
BIK,

How true, how SO very true.

My comment......"disadvantages?"........THERE ARE NONE!!!!

Towering Q
10th Sep 2003, 10:58
Five Gold Bars!!! ...
Where can I get myself some of those?:cool:

Jamair
15th Sep 2003, 15:43
Marks 99 I did the GFPT, PPL & CPL at RED Aeroclub, and it was a good environment. The folks there get to know you individually and are a pretty easy going bunch. (I've even heard Rob is a becoming a bit more relaxed......)

The strip is good & you get plenty of crosswind practice. CTA is only 1500' above if you wanna get in there, and BN, AF, AMB, MC and OK are all within cheap flying range for your CTA, CTZ, GAAP and MIL practice. There's no taxying to speak of.

The aircraft are getting older, but they are well maintained. Your choice of C152s, C172s and Warrior for basics, Arrow for advanced and a twin catastrophe for ME. They can do up to and including MECIR as well as PIFR.

I can personally recommend Rick Wedgewood at Avalon at Caboolture (0410424547); one-on-one training in a pristine 152, PA28, Arrow and Commanche. CAB is a grassed strip and the costs are a bit less again than RED. Everything from GFPT to MECIR. Good value for your $$.

Good luck.

the wizard of auz
16th Sep 2003, 19:24
Hey TQ, just amble on down to the club (the one south of you a couple of hundred miles......... or across to that good place with all the A,s and ask ewick the knob) theres plenty over them places.:}

dangodz
8th Oct 2003, 00:05
Hey all,
did my training at ysbk. dont regret it at all. still got a 'personal touch' to my training ie primarily 1 instructor gfpt-ppl 1 from ppl-cpl. Added bonus was i also got the oppertunity to fly with many other instructors which helps when it comes time to sitting a flight test with an ATO you have never met before. Any how, is it more imprtant to feel the more personal touch, or that much more confident in the test.

squire
8th Oct 2003, 08:38
Methinks there are also advantages in being exposed to a busy environment and learning to cope with the multi-tasking necessary also.

404 Titan
8th Oct 2003, 10:46
squire

Absolutely but I think that they are outweighed considerably by the fact that you could get this same exposure at a fraction of the cost at a small AD near a big one, i.e. Hoxton Park, Redcliffe, Innisfail etc. I believe exposure to busy controlled airports is vital but there is a smarter and cheaper way of doing it.
:ok: