View Full Version : cpl(h)

paulnadin
6th Sep 2003, 16:28
I have looked long and hard into the ATPL for aeroplanes and have tried long and hard to pursuade my fiancee to let me blow our hard earned money on my dream. As yet to no avail. Then the other day she piped up and said "What about a commercial licence for helicopters." I must say I've always dismissed this idea as I know how much more expensive the ppl(H) licence is over the ppl but it made me wonder whether the total cost of acheiving a commercial licence for helicopters would actually be cheaper and what the job prospects would be after acheiving the licence. Should I just stick with aeroplanes???

Please if anyone could offer me any help or advice I would be more than grateful.

pilotwolf
6th Sep 2003, 18:15
NOT A CHANCE OF IT BEING CHEAPER!!!

Not sure of total cost as it depends on which route you take but just look at the differences in the hourly rates for starters...

Job market - browse he forums - need lots of luck at the moment it seems...

Watchoutbelow
7th Sep 2003, 13:48
To be honest with you, if I was to do it all again, I probably wouldn't.

But if I had to, I would go the fixed wing route, by far cheaper, with slightly better prospects, then do the extra exams
(3, I think) for the Heli add on, get a job in the fixed wing world, however difficult it is to get a job there, it is far easier (and better paying then the heli world, also get to live in nicer places, genrally.)

Build up the 135 hours on my time off, which I wouldn't be able to afford, but hey, seems everybody I know in Aviation is living on the skin of there teeth, very very deep in debt, trying to live well above there means, still having to live off Pasta and pot noodles.

Ditch the Fiance unless she is earning more money then you, women are far to expensive, ATPL exams are far to stressful, to be having to deal with relationship problems also!

Not a pretty picture, but a harsh reality, as seen from a person who has seena lot of people comming and going from the industry.

Jarvy
7th Sep 2003, 16:00
I am near the end of my CPL(H) course and for the same money
as its taken to get this far I could have had a frozen ATPL(A).
So no way is it cheaper. As for jobs its as in most of life luck
and who you know.All I know is for me its more fun flying helos.