PDA

View Full Version : You've left aviation, what are you doing now?

Java
6th Sep 2003, 08:55
Greetings

This is just a general interest question and in no way meant to be negative about the industry. There are plenty of people through their own choice or not who are no longer in the industry and I am just wondering what interesting careers people have pursued after leaving aviation?

Cheers

Java

dogcharlietree
6th Sep 2003, 09:17
Try truck driving, taxi driving, coach driving, security, packing shelves.
The bills keep coming in!

notrouble
7th Sep 2003, 07:28
It could be implied that if you have left aviation your are a loser. Nothing could be further from the truth. Maybe that's the reason there are so few comments.
Anyway I'm going to Uni to study teaching.

the wizard of auz
7th Sep 2003, 08:59
Driving trucks, operating earthwork machinery and going back to my trade of diesel fitter.

03ILS
7th Sep 2003, 19:49
Back in Feb this year I left aviation for a 6 month short break...

I recon I scored the best job. I worked at The Duxton Hotel as a Concierge. Tell ya what!!!!! What a job!!! Drive fast car's, cash tips, hot chicks (and you have a licence to talk to them) Nice people, GREAT connections and the job is alllllll class!! :)

Back into flying now, and loving it!!!

Dee
7th Sep 2003, 22:02
well I left aviation about 2 years ago and im doing just fine. I now work overseas (not in Aviation or IT) earning a six figure salary.

Im not saying aviation cant do this infact I had a good job in GA. I was flying for a small company being paid a percentage and happened that that year was a boomer, I along with 6 other pilots were on about $2000 a week for about 10 months. I went from there to a casual job flying in the city (twin work night IFR) as well as working during the day for VB ground staff.

Im not saying it was bad, infact I loved it, its just what i got now doesnt match, only work 22 hours a week get 3 months paid vacation plus a 3 bedroom apartment rent free and a flight home every year, also Im home every night and free every weekend.

I do miss it, but i figure a few years wont hurt then i might play back into it without the stress of worrying about financial problems. That way I can enjoy it as a job not for money gain.

Sperm Bank
8th Sep 2003, 08:01
Dee where do you work and where do we sign up?

GIMPOSH
9th Sep 2003, 09:51
Getting out very soon to return to uni and study for a BVSC.
Just need to find a way to pay the bills!!

Chocks Away
10th Sep 2003, 08:37
Java,
casual Lifeguard, casual Sailing Instuctor and Snow Ski Guide (Europe).
Life is good which ever way you look at it, as the glass is half full, never half empty!;)