PDA

View Full Version : NZ Flying Books

Hap Hazard
6th Sep 2003, 08:51
Can any of you kiwi fliers out there recommend any good books on early NZ aviation?
Have already got My Life, Turbulent Years, A Shower of Spray, Ski Plane Adventure.
Any books out there on the early days of top dressing, airlines, gliding etc, that you can recommend?
Cheers Hap:)

ALLBLACK
6th Sep 2003, 10:46
Try Jamie Olivers , Magic Kitchen

anti-skid
6th Sep 2003, 11:00
ALLBLACK's stunning contributions continue :rolleyes:

Thump & Go
6th Sep 2003, 11:01
Try "A Likely Story" & "That's Another Story" by Guy Clapshaw.
I have one sitting on my shelf but haven't got round to reading it-they're about DC3 operations/operators in NZ.

Judging by your sharp wit AB,perhaps it was "Magic Mushrooms"?

Runaway Gun
6th Sep 2003, 17:06
There's two books about Deer Hunting which are excellent reading. The Chopper Boys Rex Forrester Penguin Books NZ Ltd., 1988 and The Helicopter Hunters Rex Forrester Whitcoulls Publishers, 1997. They tend to concentrate on Deer Hunting and Deer Recovery in the wild South Island, where guys like Sir Tim Wallis (of Warbirds over Wanaka fame) made their fortune. Lots of incredible stories regarding high powered rifles, low powered helos, high density altitudes and heavy deer. As you may expect, there are lots of accidents, but lots of characters. I'm not a helo pilot, but this sure made me wish I was...

http://www.geocities.com/nedu537/helihunt/300sling.jpeg

Hap Hazard
6th Sep 2003, 18:24
Thanks guys, keep em comming!;)

tinpis
7th Sep 2003, 10:09
"The Topdressers " out of print but worth chasing mine was stolen :(

Sqwark2000
7th Sep 2003, 14:46
Try looking for books by aviator/author Paul Bueachamp-Legg (?)

He's a regular contributor to Aviation News and has written books about flying the Auster, Mountain flying, Early Air Transport Ops around the West Coast.

S2K

always inverted
8th Sep 2003, 14:01
Another author you could try, not that old tho- but a good read...

Charlie Janes- Basta@ds I've Met. is one but there is about 3 of them that follow on in series.

About his deer recovery in the Kaimanawas and making strips in the bush and going off the end of one in a Jodel

tinpis
10th Sep 2003, 05:59
:confused: Thought Bastards I've Met was Barry Crump
More entertaining than aviation any time.:}

18-Wheeler
10th Sep 2003, 06:13
Try the Richard Pearse books by Geoffery Rodliffe.
Most interesting reading - Pease made a few sustainted & controlled powered flights before the Wright brothers.

ALLBLACK
10th Sep 2003, 23:03
Anti skid,

why havent you read jamiess cookery book,, seems like yoiu may need it bro ,,, have seen you sometimes taking off from AR

Thump & Go
11th Sep 2003, 06:21
Perhaps you could dust off that dictionary too AB. My guess is you'd have to be a prop(loosehead at that!):p

Hap Hazard
12th Sep 2003, 02:17
Tinpis, you are right to be annoyed after having your issue of Topdressers stolen, have only managed to uncover two copies on the web, both priced well above US $200!:eek:

Jack Sprat
14th Sep 2003, 17:37
Another topdressing book is 'The Super Men' by Graham Alexander and JS Tullett published by Read. Some good stories about the early tiger moth escapades and development work. It mentions one Bill Pendercost who I have had the privilege of meeting. Finished his flying with 14 log books and burnt the lot when he finished flying so the story goes.