PDA

View Full Version : Required Reading

Bob Viking
6th Sep 2003, 01:15
Fellow PPruners.
I am rapidly approaching the OCU phase of my training and feel it is about time I read more about the history of military aviation (both recent and distant).
So my question is, what is the best book of this genre that you have ever read?
May I just add that I'd like to avoid the Encyclopaedia Brittanica sized tomes if possible!

kippermate
6th Sep 2003, 02:01
Bob,
I'm sure you will get all the old favourites. I'd start with 'Fighter Pilot' by Paul Richey

ORAC
6th Sep 2003, 02:27
You want something that might actually be of long term value rather than a a quick read? I found this one of the most useful and interesting books I ever bought. Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering (http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?btob=Y&pwb=1&ean=9780870210594).

Now to be geeky, there is a series of 7 monographs sponsored by the USAF historical branch about Vietnam/Southeast Asia and written by combat veterans who took part. I've got the lot, they are enthralling. Two or three are hardback, the rest are large format paperbacks. They're out of print, but worth reading if you can get your hands on them. I found Volume V incredible. Forget FJ pilots, read the stories of the heroics of the transport pilots flying into a firestorm time and again to support the men on the ground.

USAF Southeast Asia Monograph Series:

Vol. I: The Tale of Two Bridges and the Battle for the Skies over North Vietnam.
USAF Southeast Asia monograph series, v. 1, monographs 1-2
ISBN: 0912799269.

Vol. II: Airpower and the 1972 Spring Invasion.
USAF Southeast Asia monograph series, v. 2, monograph 3;
GPO Stock no: 008-070-00369-4
ISBN: 0912799277

Vol. III: The Vietnamese Air Force,1965-1975:
An Analysis of Its Role in Combat and Fourteen Hours at Koh Tang.
USAF Southeast Asia monograph series, v. 3, monographs 4-5;
GPO Stock no: 008-070-00377-5.

Vol. IV: Last Flight from Saigon.
USAF Southeast Asia monograph series, v. 4, monograph 6;
GPO Stock no: 008-070-00409-7.

Vol. V: Airpower and the Airlift Evacuation of Kham Duc.
USAF Southeast Asia monograph series, v. 5, monograph 7;
ISBN: 0912799307
GPO Stock no: 008-070-00434-8.

Vol. VI: Linebacker II: A View from the Rock.
USAF Southeast Asia monograph series, v. 6, monograph 8;
ISBN: 0912799315.

Vol. VII: Air Force Heroes in Vietnam.
USAF Southeast Asia monograph series, v. 7, monograph 9;
ISBN: 0912799323 (pbk.)

Airbedane
6th Sep 2003, 04:15
'High Flight' and 'Sagitarious Rising', both are WW1 classics and both were recommended reading for embryo WWII pilots.

DummyRun
6th Sep 2003, 08:23
Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy; don't ask, just read it.

Load Moving.......

WASALOADIE
6th Sep 2003, 13:12
Concur Red Storm Rising but also try Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

LowNSlow
6th Sep 2003, 14:16
The Big Show by Pierre Closterman (WW2)

Full Circle by Johnny Johnson ((History of air combat up to the Korean War) - not to be confused with the Micahel Palin book of the same name!

First Light by Geoffrey Welham (One of the best BoB / Mediterranean books I've read)

Agree with Chickenhawk and Fighter Pilot

henry crun
6th Sep 2003, 15:49
If you want an authoritive work on the RAF during 1939-1945 try
The Right Of The Line by John Terraine.

Runaway Gun
6th Sep 2003, 16:52
Mr Viking,

I hate to sound like a bore, but I highly suggest reading your Hawk flight manual an extra one or two times a week, along with your Air to Air and Air to Ground tactics manuals, with model jets-on-sticks in hand. There really is no substitute for preparation. Forget history for now, or your aviation career will soon be a part of it.

But if you really want to read something else before you get your head down at night, I recommend anything unconnected to the military or aviation, just to help get your mind off things in order to get a sound night's (or lunchtime's) sleep.

Cheers, RG :ok:

Jobza Guddun
6th Sep 2003, 17:58
'Nine Lives' by Al Deere.

Simply to inspire you to keep plugging away when you're scared / exhausted / cheesed off / stressed out / grieving.

An inspirational read from a fighter pilot who found himself in tougher situations than the vast majority of us ever will. And survived.

Best of luck in your endeavours.:ok:

The Nr Fairy
7th Sep 2003, 04:18
I did read, some while ago, and article which was written by a USN pilot about tactics in the Vietnam War. The document was taken up by the hierarchy and immediately classified to such an extent that the intended audience - his fellow pilots - never read it.

Can't remember anything else about it, sorry, but it would be useful in the future.

Avoiding Action
8th Sep 2003, 02:31
'Goshawk Squadron' and 'Piece of Cake', both by Derek Robinson...

...with a copy of the Harrods lingerie catalogue tucked discreetly between the pages, as someone once said!;)

Bob Viking
8th Sep 2003, 21:21
Thankyou all for your replies.
When I return to blighty I shall see about picking some of them up.
Runaway gun - Might be a bit late for the Hawk ACM. Give it another week and I'll be thinking about tackling something a little more complex!
:D

Runaway Gun
8th Sep 2003, 21:30
OK Bob, if you really want to read something historical (and deals with ballz-and-all flying) check out either of these books:

The Chopper Boys by Rex Forrester, Penguin Books NZ Ltd., 1988 or

The Helicopter Hunters by Rex Forrester, Whitcoulls Publishers, 1997

It's a little different from what you will ever do.... but I wish I'd done it.

http://www.geocities.com/nedu537/helihunt/strophang.jpeg

http://www.geocities.com/nedu537/helihunt/netgun.jpeg

bighedsmallface
8th Sep 2003, 23:31
If you pop through the bathroom I've got that book by Paul Richey - excellent read. I'd also recommend Wing Commander by Johnnie Johnson.

To Joes for some hot wings. :ooh: Sod the recce!:{

Runaway Gun
8th Sep 2003, 23:44
You guys sound a tad too close (and I'm not just talking relative distance). :yuk:

Bob Viking
8th Sep 2003, 23:53
I can assure you it's all above board!
;)
The crazy Canucks just insist on making us share ablutions!
It's not the most pleasant wat to get to know someone better!
:yuk:

bighedsmallface
10th Sep 2003, 00:02
It wouldn't be so bad if it was anyone else. BV's overactive bowels more than compensate for the low activity levels in SPH'sLC's thyroid!:ooh:

Bob Viking
18th Sep 2003, 05:04
Cheers guys.
Some great suggestions to add to my list.
Any last offers before we put this thread to bed?
I'm a poet and I didn't know it!

BV:8

bighedsmallface
18th Sep 2003, 07:47
List doesn't rhyme with bed.

And your scansion and meter leave a lot to be desired.

Wordsworth you aint.:p