PDA

View Full Version : QNH chaos at Heathrow

Point Seven
6th Sep 2003, 01:04
From BBC Broadband news at 1230:

Today at time 1018Z, it was noticed by a number of pilots and controllers alike noticed that the QNH and the time in UTC were the same, the first time that this phenomenon has happened worldwide since 1115 at Cape Town in 1968.

Controllers were powerless as aircraft called for push back, taxy or tow placing huge stress on an already creaking ATC system. At least one controller is thought to have fainted. Huge delays are still being felt throughout Europe.

P7:ok:

Jerricho
6th Sep 2003, 01:19
Did you hit your head when you fainted?? Was it because of this, or because you were weak with fatigue from your AAVA the other day!:p :p :p

Gonzo
6th Sep 2003, 02:45
I blame the D2!

Point Seven
6th Sep 2003, 04:07
To sick to work, but not too sick to sit in front of your computer covered in Vaseline, naked but for your jazzy doublet, eh Gonzo?

P7:yuk:

Gonzo
6th Sep 2003, 04:52
Sick, but certainly not too sick to know the proper use of too and to.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Sep 2003, 15:26
Similar terrifying problem I recall when a foreign aircraft received the same squawk as his slot time.... I read his clearance... "...squawk 1125 and your slot time is 1125". Of course, the intrepid pilot got it the wrong way round wrong and I spent 10 minutes trying to ensure he didn't try to set up his slot time on his transponder..

People just don't understand the complexities of ATC do they?

Back to my rubber ring.........

tobzalp
7th Sep 2003, 11:02
my cat's name is mittens

Jerricho
7th Sep 2003, 23:23
My cat's breath smells like cat food!

And Gonzo................poor old P7 has been taking spelling lessons from your's truely!!!! Dude's under a lot of pressure at the moment with the big day and all approaching. But he still can make great come backs. Well, better than others!

Gonzo
8th Sep 2003, 00:06
Jerricho,

But he still can make great come backs.

Yes, we did notice he's not very proactive at work...;)

Jerricho
8th Sep 2003, 00:49
Being the second best controller in the world, he doesn't have to be proactive. It just all works out to perfection!

So, what's this about Vaseline???

Gonzo
8th Sep 2003, 00:57
It just all works out to perfection!

:D You've been looking at that upside-down Oz dictionary again, haven't you?

Someone's idea of perfection can be very different to another's.......

So I'm assuming you think I had the pleasure of speaking to the best controller in the world a month or two ago on the phone?

Vaseline? Who mentioned that? Oh, let me guess, our resident intellectual. Hey, Point Seven, judging by what we were talking about last week, I thought you had learnt that it's not a good idea to reveal to colleagues what you dream about? :p

Jerricho
8th Sep 2003, 01:34
Oh Gonzo, you are so far from the mark!!!

So I'm assuming you think I had the pleasure of speaking to the best controller in the world a month or two ago on the phone?

Everybody knows I'm crap!! And will attest to that!

yaffs
8th Sep 2003, 02:03
those winter nights must just fly by at heathrow!!:p

mind you i once had an a/c who's squawk was the same as its callsign - kept us amusing for weeks did that one..................!!!

yaffs

Gonzo
8th Sep 2003, 03:31
Jerricho,

Oh Gonzo, you are so far from the mark!!!

You obviously misunderstand! I wasn't referring to you! ;)

Winter's here? Oh fiddlesticks. Best start being nice to those Lighting chaps and chappesses! :ugh:

Jerricho
8th Sep 2003, 03:58
Sorry Gonzo, kinda poor attempt at a back-track, no misunderstanding! You said yourself, I assume.............and to use your word obvious!

To quote the now not too distant Plazbot - Arguing on the internet is like running in a certain race...looking stupid etc.......(I'm not looking for a ban here!)

Alas P7, wish he were here to stand up for himself!

GT3
8th Sep 2003, 04:09

Why would you phone me? :uhoh:

P7, no doubt hard at work as we speak

Point Seven
8th Sep 2003, 06:20
The mighty P7 returns to clear up a few myths.

1/. Notice how you can only get me when I'm not here. Bunch of girls. Gonzo throws insults from his little Ginger Palace of Sin yet at work is quieter that three mice.

2/. Jerricho - I'll never be a better controller than you. Only funnier. And more well liked. And slimmer.

3/. GT3 - yup, I was grafting. Call me when you get a mo.

P7

Jerricho
8th Sep 2003, 15:25
I'm not fat...............I'm big boned!

Gonzo
8th Sep 2003, 17:31
You're right, Jerricho....

is quieter that three mice.

His spelling is going downhill!

Quiet P7? Na, just subtle. It's all in the timing.

GT3
8th Sep 2003, 18:49
tick...tock....tick...tock...tick...tock...tick...tock...tic k...tock

ermmm we are waiting

Point Seven
9th Sep 2003, 04:56
Gonzo

Hmm. Couple of ladies told me about your timing. Still coming up short?

P7

tired
12th Sep 2003, 06:29
Bloody hell - and to think I let you chaps tell me what to do.... ;)

Oh, sorry, was this a private party, or can anyone join in??