PDA

View Full Version : Exchange Posts

FFP
5th Sep 2003, 21:47
The best ? The worst ?

Anyone any experience of Canadian/US from the Uk ?

Thinking of one eventually. :ok:

kokpit
5th Sep 2003, 23:34
Not an exchange, but a post in the US.

If you want any details, PM me.

Bob Viking
6th Sep 2003, 00:59
FFP
Check your PM's.

Arctic Tern
6th Sep 2003, 04:11
FFP.
Drop me a PM, I have some info you want to hear.

Arctic

Woff1965
6th Sep 2003, 12:31
My brothers friend (a Lt Commander RN) had a exchange with the USN - he said it was one of the most interesting and rewarding experiences of his naval career.

However I suspect it simply depends where you are going and what you will be doing and the personalities of the people you will be working with.

brit bus driver
7th Sep 2003, 07:32
Canada...

...without a doubt. The thing about an exchange tour is that you don't realise how good it is until you're back in the UK. Pay heed, OBD!

PM me for any more info.

:ok:

Old Bus Driver
7th Sep 2003, 07:48
Th A310 Canadian exchange is outstanding in many respects - quality of life and lifestyle, Canadian people on and off the Sqn, Flying the A310 is a joy, many and varied destinations, loads of stuff for you and the kids to do, great skiing, great watersports, great country(side). I could go on and on, and BBD I fully expect to be 'depressed of Carterton' at the back end of 2005.

Must sign off to go and plan tomorrows trip to Key West and Barbados

OBD

brit bus driver
7th Sep 2003, 07:53
Key West and Barbados....pah!

I'll raise you 3 sims and a couple of North Sea towlines, with the looming prospect of more Basra to come. Come back, you know you miss it.....;)

BEagle
7th Sep 2003, 14:13
Old Bus Driver - what will you be doing when your CC150s are being upgraded to tanker transport configuration next year? Even more time off to enjoy the exchange officers' lifestyle?

And then it'll be back to AR with 72 tonnes for the CF18s to play with instead of mere trash-hauling. Enjoy!

FFP
7th Sep 2003, 16:51
The A310 at Trenton ?

That sounds like the one for me ! :ok:

brit bus driver
7th Sep 2003, 19:12
Sadly BEagle they're only converting two, with only one going in the shed at a time; conversion should take about 6 months. Still, in the meantime there'll be the prospect of all those VVIP trips to exotic destinations - no slumming it with Air Canada for les Chretiens - four dedicated long-range trainers a year (not each!) and bi-annual sim sessions in Miami or Dallas.

If Carlsberg made exchange tours, that would be the one....

:ok:

SSSETOWTF
8th Sep 2003, 01:40
Do it for the lifestyle, not necessarily the flying. My experience is that, despite having some very nice shiney toys to play with, the US don't train the way we do. The flying is frustratingly undemanding compared to UK stuff and I spend hours of every day saying 'if only we had these jets back home'. But the sun shines every day and life is good.:O

Megaton
9th Sep 2003, 01:26
Concur. Quality of life is all. Although not on exchange in the US, I have just spent three years in a different capacity at a USAF organization. Not allowed to do a great deal or get involved in much: I suspect they had a fair grasp of my limited abilities before I arrived. Pace of life generally slow but locals friendly. Don't know if I'd want to do it as a singly. LOA's useful.

Beagle-eye
10th Sep 2003, 16:39
I have a friend (currently posted in Germany) who is a USAF WSO on B1's. He is currently half way through a 2 year ground tour and has been told that he is unlikly to get another flying tour in the US.

I believe that the RAF is desperately short of WSO/Nav's for GR4 back seats and he would be very interested in an exchange and get one more flying tour in. Any ideas who he should approach to get further information ?

Silent T
11th Sep 2003, 05:50
Agree with the guys so far. Equipment is great, lifestyle is okay, but the flying itself is not as rewarding. Decisions are generally not made in the cockpit but by 'senior' guys on the ground. Thats my experience with the USAF anyway, I've heard the navy is a little different though...