PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GNS 430 crossfill

skyfarmer
5th Sep 2003, 15:00
Had a problem with the crossfill option of user waypoints on a pair of GNS 430's last night, can anyone shed any light on it.

A WP had previously been entered by another person, with the name (0001) on Box 1 and 2. On setting a Direct to on both boxes to the same WP, it became apparent that the WP's were in different positions.

Could not initially delete one of them because it was an active WP, so Cancelled the Direct to and deleted the incorrect WP. The idea was then to crossfill the good WP back to the other box. Tried to crossfill, but the Crossfill option was greyed out. I thought this may have been because the WP was active, so cancelled the Direct to,a nd tried again. Still the Crossfill option was greyed out.

Looking at other user WP's, box 1 always had crossfill greyed out, while box 2 would allow crossfill of WP's up to box 1.

What is going on here? I am sure other twin GNS430 equiped a/c I have flown allow Crossfill in both directions. Is this hardware wiring proplem, software glitch, finger trouble or what?

I have not tried a reset of both boxes and had a second go yet, had had enough last night at the end of the sectors.

Cheers

Neil

411A
5th Sep 2003, 15:33
skyfarmer,

Don't specifically have this equipment installed in my private aircraft (use Bendix/King GPS) but from comments on another fourm, this seems to be a recurring problem, especially with 430/530 interface. Could be with 430 as well.
Others suspect a software problem, but will ask and advise if an answer is forthcoming.

What do you think of the equipment otherwise? Appears to quite nifty kit.

international hog driver
6th Sep 2003, 17:48
We operate a sub-fleet of 9 aircraft with dual 430’s, some aircraft crossfill between two is not a problem other’s it does not work, when one or the other is swapped out it is always a software bug or user set up. Our sparkies seem to have inconsistent results in sorting the problem.

One cause was differing database dates between units on installation which caused a the system to note a difference and hence not accept the crossfill, this is how it was relayed to me from the big spark himself.

My advice speak to a Garmin rep or quality dealer.
:ugh: