PDA

View Full Version : Standby time

FLY BY NIGHT
5th Sep 2003, 14:56
This article is on the BBC. news this morning. Does it have any bearing on the hours all you 'jet jockies' work.

Women win 'on call' battle

Jersey Senior Citizens Association has more than 700 members
Nine women have won a legal battle which could have major implications for people who are forced to remain on standby after completing their hours of work.
The women lived in sheltered homes for the elderly in the London borough of Harrow and worked a basic 37 hour week.

But they were kept on call for another 76 hours.

An employment tribunal said the council had breached working time regulations and awarded the women £1,500 compensation each.

During their standby time they could not leave the sheltered housing, and the women said this led to social isolation.

The tribunal said the council had not given the women proper daily rest or given them the national minimum wage for their time on standby.

It decided the 76 hours the workers were on call counted as work.

The women are also likely to get back pay worth thousands in addition to the £1,500 compensation.

Tony Warr, the GMB union official who backed the women's case, said: "This is a major breakthrough for low paid and over-worked employees.

"The conditions imposed on these dedicated workers made a nonsense of the requirement that they should enjoy a minimum of 11 hours of uninterrupted rest from work every day."

Solicitors Thompsons, engaged by the union to fight the case, said it was a "landmark" decision.

rjdude
5th Sep 2003, 15:37
None at all, there are specific rules regarding standby duties and subsequent rest periods.

This might have an effect on ground based staff who are 'on-call' out of hours.

Mind you it appears the council in question doesn't see what the problem is and, according to the news, are going to appeal the judgement.

You splitter
5th Sep 2003, 19:56
Yeah I concur with Mr rjdude.

The time crew spend on Standby is counted as duty time, and therefore is regulated. Allthough crew will not receive duty pay for standby they are technically paid for it.

Also as long as it is cleared with crewing and the crew member can fulfill their obligations i.e are contacable at all times and can report within the allowed time frame, there should be no reason for them to be confined to quarters!

Kaptin M
5th Sep 2003, 21:00
Although probably somewhat different from "standby", as known in aviation, this decision may set an interesting precedent inasmuch as this tribunal has determined that hours spent on standby is time which the employees must recognise as duty.

As such, why should not the same responsibilities apply regardless of where that work is performed, eg. meal allowances?
Perhaps more interestingly, is the employee covered by the same employer insurance, when one is at home, on standby? In theory, I guess (from a layman's point of view) that it should (apply).

Nice little can of worms here! :ok:

Smokie
9th Sep 2003, 09:02
Kaptin M,

Excellent, lets open it !! :ok:

Mean while, back at the ranch, Suzy helps Jack off the Horse...

You splitter
9th Sep 2003, 19:15
As such, why should not the same responsibilities apply regardless of where that work is performed, eg. meal allowances?

I would argue with you on that one Kaptin M.

Meal allowances are not a right under any law (European) or otherwise that I am aware of.
The food you are provided with when undertaking a Fligth Duty is to provide you with proper nourishment (arguable I agree when looking at those layups!) because you are in an enviroment where you are unable to do that for yourself.

One could argue sitting at home with the telly on and your feet up is not a situation where you are unable to provide your own food. I think maybe your tongue is firmly in cheek!! :D

Smokie, That is shameful sh1t stirring!! :ok: