PDA

View Full Version : Leaving SQ for AirAsia command???

geo7E7
5th Sep 2003, 12:33
Is this true? Heard from someone who was asked to leave that more will be leaving / ask to leave ( esp. Malaysians ) and next best options is to head for AirAsia! Also heard that they're giving command training as well. Not to stir havoc here but merely seeking for clarification.....:hmm:

All the best and see you in the airwaves...:ok:

satumare
5th Sep 2003, 15:31
Nobody in the right frame of mind will leave SQ and join Air Asia even for command. Boils down to dollars and cents. Only for those who might feel unwanted or are really unwanted will be taking that option.

PILOST
5th Sep 2003, 16:19
Sometimes, money isn't the criteria.Cost of living in Kuala Lumpur is much, much less than in Sin City.The equivalent of CPF (EPF in Malaysia) pays out more dividends every year without fail in comparison (percentage wise).

Cars, houses, education, water :rolleyes: & all the basic necessities are generally cheaper.With prospect of command & better living & working enviroment, it will definitely be a great magnet for the Malaysians who work with Stalag SQ.

This fact had been proven when a few ex SQ's co-pilots defected to MH in the early 90's.

Fly safe all!

:cool:
PILOST

millerscourt
5th Sep 2003, 21:35
PILOST You seem to forget that Malaysians in SQ can have their cake and eat it by having the Singapore salary with the lower Malasian costs which is better still by keeping their family in Malaysia and go home on their days off very easily. Afterall some Singaporeans commute to Perth which is far more hassle.

I do not expect to see a mass exodus from SQ of Malaysians.

QNH1013
6th Sep 2003, 00:02
I think the topic was about SQ crew that have been retrenched or asked to leave SQ would consider going to Air Asia. Well, if you are out of a job, why not. But I would try elsewhere in the world with all that widebody time. But anyway, yes, some EX SQ pilots are being considered for joining Air Asia. Do not know their circumstances at this time though.

PILOST
6th Sep 2003, 00:34
I was just responding to satumare's post.Yes I have a few good friends who are with SQ.Although they are doing the commuting thing, some of them have expressed the need to 'balance' their life.

Granted, some of them are owning ranches here in Malaysia with the price of a CBD flat, but the quality of life is very subjective to us Malaysians.We are used to growing up in spaces that some Singaporeans can only dream of.Again, I am just expressing my opinion based on my observation.Indeed, there will be no exodus like millerscourt rightfully say as the forex factor (1 Sin dollar = RM2.2) is the sweetener to stay with SQ.

A move to Air Asia would mean a significant drop in their earning capacity compared to SQ, but when push come to shove, the calling of your own home will be hard to resist.SQ should count their blessing on the available Malaysian workforce who are there & not treat them like second class citizens......but then again they treat verybody with a good shafting nowadays......
:rolleyes:

jollyt
6th Sep 2003, 13:17
Pilost, just to set the record straight, Malaysians are not treated as second class citizens compared to Singaporeans in SQ. In fact, they are accorded some very significant advantages over their Singaporean colleagues which I will not now go into. What is true, though, is that all pilots in SQ are at the receiving end of a very royal shafting at the moment and money notwithstanding, I can fully appreciate why there are many who are considering leaving.

PILOST
6th Sep 2003, 15:55
Agreed jollyt, please read my qualifying remark after the second class citizen

but then again they treat verybody (sic) with a good shafting nowadays......

As neighbours, we are indeed linked by an unseen umblical cord by historical reasons.......but that's history & SQ (and SIN Inc.) is on the offensive.........

geo7E7
7th Sep 2003, 14:17
:* Whenever there's a topic in regards to SQ and Malaysian involved, it's pretty sad to see that the community here will have a good bashing session going on....why is that???? It was a plain topic to clarify some stuff but why did it turn out to be Malaysian in SQ bashing thingy or even towards certain unpleasant sentiments? Come on guys, stick to the topic and lets be professional in handling certain queries! We can't solve the world problems but we could at least try doing so amicably...don't aggrevate it!