PDA

View Full Version : Top secret airport files stolen

Wirraway
5th Sep 2003, 12:29
AAP

Top secret airport files stolen
September 5, 2003

THE Australian Federal Police and Customs were investigating the theft of computer equipment from the cargo processing and intelligence centre at Sydney International Airport, an AFP spokeswoman said today.

The AFP have not confirmed what data was stolen.

Customs officials have said the stolen computers held thousands of confidential files, including top-secret communications between customs investigators, the AFP and ASIO.

But the AFP would not confirm exactly what was stolen.

Two men of Pakistani-Indian-Arabic appearance presented themselves as computer technicians and were given unfettered access to the airport's top security mainframe room on August 27, a Sydney newspaper reported.

"Inside, they spent two hours disconnecting two computers, which they put on trolleys and wheeled out of the room, past the security desk, into the lift and out of the building," the paper said.

'Quite strange'

Former NSW assistant police commissioner Paul McKinnon, who headed police operations at the Sydney Olympics, said the break-in was a wake-up call for airport security.

"It probably would not be a place where there was a requirement to hold nationally sensitive information," Mr McKinnon told ABC Radio.

"Unfortunately it happens, and I guess this is a substantial wake-up call to harden security arrangements in every aspect of the aviation facility there at Mascot."

Mr McKinnon said there should have been tighter security at the airport.

"Normally in that setting, there would be barriers they'd have to cross and then certainly be issued with visitor passes and operate under supervision," he said.

"It all seems quite strange."

The AFP spokeswoman today confirmed an investigation into the incident was underway.

"The AFP is working closely with the Customs service in relation to an investigation into the theft of computer equipment from Mascot which is reported to have happened 27th of August," she said.

Australia's top security agencies will reportedly conduct emergency damage audits following the theft.

"The Australian Federal Police and ASIO, the two chief guardians against terrorism, fired off angry memos to customs officials, demanding to know the extent to which their top-secret operations have been compromised," the newspaper said.

AAP

==========================================

Angle of Attack
5th Sep 2003, 12:35
If this can happen in Australia's largest Airport and international gateway then it just shows how much of a joke security is in Sydney, let alone all the other airports. The only increase in security in the last few years has been visible security to make pax feel like something is being done rather than real increses in defence to these sorts of things.

Wirraway
5th Sep 2003, 13:01
ABC News Online

Security under review after Customs computer theft

Customs Minister Senator Chris Ellison says security will be tightened after computer equipment was stolen from a Customs building at Sydney Airport.

Two men, who it is believed posed as computer technicians, stole two file servers from an Australian Customs Service building based at the International Airport last week.

Australian Federal Police are investigating the theft.

Senator Ellison has acknowledged it is a serious breach of security and says a review has begun.

"There will be a review of all security procedures at Customs," he said.

"The main thing we should realise, is that we don't want to get carried away with overstating the effect of the theft of these two computer servers, but nonetheless we are treating it seriously as you would any security breach."

Meanwhile, the computer theft has been a major issue at a joint parliamentary hearing into aviation security.

Senior Customs official Gail Batman gave evidence at the hearing yesterday, but was recalled today and asked why she did not tell the committee about the theft.

"We did expect that perhaps after the incident that it would be in the press," she said.

"When it didn't... we all assumed that it wouldn't, and if it hadn't been for this leak, I think it's not an appropriate matter to be canvassed in public in the middle of an investigation."

"We really need to have the investigation brought to bear on this, as we say it is a very serious matter.

"I don't want to downplay it in anyway, but it is a security breach, not an aviation security breach."

Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) spokesman Dermot Brown says it is writing to Customs management to get an assurance its members' privacy and security have not been compromised.

"Obviously we're concerned at the breach of security and we'd be encouraging Customs to review their current practices and make sure this sort of stuff doesn't happen again," Mr Brown said.

==========================================

OpsNormal
5th Sep 2003, 17:32
Hey Sydney we've got heaps of security blokes here that Qantas and Virgin don't want, would you like some of them? :}

Yer can't phart in this place without one of them sticking his head up somewhere! :ooh:

They have a job to do I guess, and it's yet another sign of the times..... :rolleyes:

pullock
5th Sep 2003, 20:07
Since it became vogue after terrorists (say terrists because that is how the President of the West (George Bush) says it)), I have been saying that the security at airports is a joke, serving little to protect security but going far to lining the pockets of the security companies and providing a VISABLE security net justifying the retoric of the pollie(s) about TERRISTS . It is amazing how many times I was shot down in flame for it, now the truth is coming out.

On the line of things unbelievable, the customs spokesperson tonight on the news stated that the servers contained neither strategic nor commercially sensitive information. MY QUESTION IS THEREFORE WHAT THE HELL WAS ON THEM......SPACE INVADERS??????

The_Cutest_of_Borg
5th Sep 2003, 21:48
Seems that I must now live with the knowledge that Al-Queda can, and will, use information about my exotic underwear importing activities, to further their nefarious aims...

I will sleep uneasily from now on....:ooh: