PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus Discrimination?

miner2049er
5th Sep 2003, 07:56
Here is the text of a letter I sent to Aer Lingus, to which they have not yet replied. I would be interested to know people's comments, and any similar experiences they have had with Aer Lingus or other airlines, especially regarding the first of my four complaints.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

August 17, 2003

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing to complain about a recent trip I took between Los Angeles and Birmingham, England, where I flew with Aer Lingus on all four (4) flights that made up the journey.

I departed on June 30, 2003, on flights EI-144 then EI-272, and returned on July 9 on flights EI-263 and EI-145. I have four (4) complaints, and detail them in the following separate sections:

(1) The first problem was not being allowed to use a portable CD player.

About half an hour into my LAX - DUB flight, a flight attendant advised me to not use the portable CD player I had brought along. I had a flight-time of over ten hours ahead of me, and this was not pleasant news to hear.

I had not been told about this before I started my trip in the Aer Lingus travel documents sent to me (which was a lengthy "Email Confirmation" on April 27)

What made this even more confusing was that passengers were allowed to use their laptop computers, even though the laptop's CD-ROM drives contained EXACTLY the same electronics as portable CD players.

When I was onboard, I read on page 66, paragraph 2, of the June 2003 issue of your in-flight magazine "Cara":

"Forbidden at all times:
All nintendo and sega personal entertainment, AM/FM radios, DVD players, compact disc players, DAT tape players, frequency scanners, portable televisions, walkie-talkies, CB radios, radio controlled toys.

Permitted in-flight, but not during take-off, approach and landing:
laptop computers, conventional personal tape stereos, pocket calculators."

There are a number of other companies who make personal gaming devices other than Nintendo and Sega. For example, Atari and numerous mobile phone manufacturers, such as Nokia, Motorola and Siemens, allow games to be played on their handsets.

There was also an announcement made a short while into the flight that went something along the lines of "We do not allow the use of GameBoys and other laser-controlled equipment." Gameboys do not contain lasers.

I guess music-lovers should avoid flying with Aer Lingus - I would be interested how many other people have been annoyed by this strange, discriminatory policy i.e. meaning it's OK for laptop owners to use CDs, but not for non-laptop owning passengers.

For the longest time I have been aware that portable electronic devices are NOT to be used during take-off and landing, but this was the first time I was not allowed to listen to my CD player in-flight. I just spoke with American Airlines customer service, and they told me they have no problems with passengers listening to CDs during their flights. And I recently flew with Virgin Atlantic, who allow CD players to be used during the flight, and in fact one of the flight attendants was interested in one of the CDs I was playing.

(2) I requested special meals for my flight which I did not receive.

On June 23, 2003 at 11:50 AM PST, I phoned Aer Lingus customer service and spoke with an operator called Jay, with whom I requested low-fat meals, and he said my request had been entered on my record.

During my trip, I did not receive any of my special meals on any of the flights, and on the return journey from DUB-LAX (flight EI 145); I asked one of the flight attendants to make a written notation of this occurrence, a copy of which I have attached to this letter.

(3) On my return flight to LAX (EI 145) when the center left bathroom was unoccupied, the door would not close, and was not the most pleasant of things to passengers.

(4) Before my trip I asked if their was an Aer Lingus phone number I could call at LAX airport to see if there had been any flight delays etc. The customer service agent I spoke to gave me the number (310) 649-7207. This number I did need to call on the day of departure, and when I did, I got a message:

"You have received the voice mail of Mrs. xxxxx - I am not in the office today, please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible."

I paid a lot of money for my ticket, and was hoping to get a more pleasant and enjoyable journey than the one I did.

I look forward to hearing from you, and would appreciate a reply within one (1) week of receipt of this letter via regular mail, not email.

Yours sincerely...

mutt
5th Sep 2003, 13:23
I'm confused, are we actually talking about "discrimination to CD users?"

Did you happen to find out if EI are following IAA regulations in regard to the use of PED’s?

Mutt.

ramsrc
5th Sep 2003, 13:53
CD players are rarely allowed on any Irish airlines. It is a recommendation of the Irish Aviation Authority.

See here (http://www.iaa.ie/SecondaryNavigation/FAQs/showfaqs.asp?FaqID=510)

Why that doesn't include Laptops, I have no idea but I guess the IAA have their reasons.

JJflyer
5th Sep 2003, 16:37
Laptops with CD drives are not banned as the drive will only be powered if you have a disk in it and you use it. Otherwise it will be on stby.

JJ

trium16
6th Sep 2003, 03:16
some people play audio cd's on their laptops and use headphones

this rule is illogical,

lets face it, the emf from a laptop is substantially more than an audio CD player

HOWEVER:

banning laptops would piss of the biz class passengers no end.... go figure

Final 3 Greens
6th Sep 2003, 11:02
Miner

The answer is fairly obvious - exercise your consumers choice next time.

Any airline can set it's own rules, but you can choose the set you like the best.

dexter256
1st Oct 2003, 22:51
Notso Fantastic,

I certainly hope you let the captain talk to the passengers. From your attitude I would be very easily tempted to boycott flying with British Airways (unfortunately I have done so already.)

trium16
6th Oct 2003, 16:51
NotSoFantastic

Where to start? Laptops are fairly well known devices now- there is reasonable confidence in the emf properties. Portable devices are not so well known.

With all due respect..

Portable CD players are a very known quantity, with virtually identical electronic characteristics and EMF properties. They are relatively simple devices compared to a laptop.

Laptops may have in Bluetooth, WiFi, and heck knows what cards in the PC slot, these devices are designed to *transmit*!!! And not even in the PC Card slot, as many (if not most) new Laptops have these integrated on the motherboard!!!

Using these can be akin to using a Powerful Mobile phone on board the a/c, as Bluetooth and WiFi have very similar characteristics.

And this is just the TYPICAL laptop, imagine some techno-geeks system!

They are in NO way known properties, not by ANY stretch of the imagination.

And maybe you may have deduced, virtually all laptops have built in DVD/CD players - but you seem to be excluding them - as they have to use your words "Well known characteristics"

As I said earlier, Airlines don't want to piss off their Biz passengers, its all down to Money.

How you came to your completely unfathomable conclusion is way way beyond me, please elaborate, I am genuinely interested.

Faire d'income
7th Oct 2003, 20:03
:D The complaint about the meal is valid. If a company offers such a service they should see it through.

:bored: The phone number is also possibly grounds for compaint but hardly earth shattering, a little bit of research would have yielded an answer.

:( Are you serious about the door? Would you rather delay and miss your connection because of a toilet door?

:{ The rules are specific about CD players. Speculation doesn't come into it for the crew.

There are many examples of airlines messing people around. This can happen for a multitude of reasons which are often the fault of the airline and their policies. People have slept for days in airports without complaining.

This letter is just a childish rant. You probably wrote to the three airport authorities, the car rental company and the coffee shops claiming discrimination.

mancman
9th Oct 2003, 05:36
BTW if you start a letter Dear Sir/Madam you should always finish Yours faithfully.:8 :8 :ok: