PDA

View Full Version : Skywest announce Broome and plans to acquire more F100's

topend3
4th Sep 2003, 11:42
Media Release 2003-09-04

MEDIA RELEASE
4 September 2003

"SKYWEST ANNOUNCES NEW BROOME SERVICE"

Skywest Airlines has today announced Perth to Broome jet services.

A 97-seat, Fokker 100 jet will service the route three times a week, commencing Monday 6 October, 2003.

The services will operate Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, departing Perth at 6.00 am and arriving in Broome at 8.25 am. The return service will depart Broome at 2.00 pm, arriving in Perth at 4.30 pm.

The new service reflects strengthening demand for Broome flights from Perth and will provide holidaymakers and business travellers with an alternative to Qantas.

Speaking in Broome today, Skywest CEO Scott Henderson said he was especially pleased to offer Western Australians the service to Broome.

“As part of our new strategic direction, Skywest has assessed demand for flights to the North West and we are delighted to move to this much loved destination,” said Mr Henderson.

He also said that Skywest was examining the possibility of services into Kununurra and was looking to acquire a second Fokker 100 for North West operations.

The new generation Fokker 100 jet offers travellers distinct advantages over other aircraft flown on the Broome route, including leather seats, up to 4 inches extra leg room and the celebrated Skywest service.

Mr Henderson said plans were well advanced to offer destination packages aligned with holiday operators in Broome and throughout the North West.

As part of Skywest’s alliance with Qantas, members of the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program can earn points and redeem Award flights on Skywest’s regional WA network, including the Broome service.

The launch of the Broome service coincides with Skywest’s current capital raising. Mr Henderson said that Skywest had achieved the minimum subscription level of $2.4 million and would close the Offer in the next fortnight.

GoNorth
4th Sep 2003, 12:17
This flight sounds a lot better than the idea of Perth/Exmouth/Broome/Kunnas. They just might do well on this one in regards to the business and freight market. Bout time we heard something sensible! :ok: Saturdays will be very interesting though. Hard to get bays as it is without having another aircraft parked on them for a number of hours. :}

Would be better if the return flight was later too. Departing Broome around 6.30/7.00 pm would be more sort after.

Continental-520
4th Sep 2003, 12:35
I just hope they have enough dosh in the kitty to last them through the potentially quiet wet season up there, so that they can kill the pig next year.

cunninglinguist
4th Sep 2003, 16:46
they will find themselves in the same situation as Airlink when Ansett were flooding Broome with up to 4 flights a day, they wil find it hard to get alot of pax with the lack of flexibility of only 3 flights a week, and as mentioned above, the wet is nearly here.
Hope they have deep pockets.

Wonder how long the big rat will give opposition pax FF points ?

skywest_xr
5th Sep 2003, 12:31
Hope they dont have any delays on Monday.

30 minute turn around in Perth to fulfil there GYL commitment

topend3
14th Apr 2004, 02:56
so, 6 months on and all the doubters appear to have been proved wrong it would seem...great loads...and an increase in services in the next couple of weeks to 6 per week...thoughts??

skywest_xr
14th Apr 2004, 12:09
topend,

you know me, I marvel at XRs success. Never a shade of doubt.

Scotty is a genius.

You guys doing the F100s up at DRW now? I presume you are still with AC.

GoNorth
15th Apr 2004, 00:16
The scheduled time is right (for the flight up). Good to see them go 6 days a week finally. The real test will be with Karratha/Port Hedland though.

topend3
15th Apr 2004, 04:40
skywest_xr - yep still with ac, and we won the work in drw as well thats right.

go north- agreed - kta and phe will be a bigger test, but i feel xr may have some contracts to help fill those planes, maybe wrong but will be interesting to see how it goes. keep hearing strong rumours about intra-wa routes starting to be flown by DJ by years end.

cunninglinguist
16th Apr 2004, 12:09
Not a wind-up, you guys got your pay-cut back yet ?

skywest_xr
17th Apr 2004, 03:14
Skywest 2nd F100 An F100 in full Skywest livery was noted inside the BMI hangar at East Midlands on Tuesday.

The rego was seen to be VH-FNJ, old rego G-BVJA.

DJ737
17th Apr 2004, 04:21
These couple of paragraphs from an item in The Australian 17/04/04

Skywest and Rex rose from the ashes of Ansett Australia. Rex is the new face of the merged Hazelton and Kendall Airlines. Skywest and Rex have held discussions over the past year on various levels of co-operation to cut costs.

Skywest chief executive Scott Henderson has also held discussions with Virgin Blue executives but those were termed more a "courtesy call" than serious discussions.

Coutesy call :rolleyes:
Expect to see F100's in Virginblue livery with "operated by Skywest" titles by the doors :ok:

DJ737
The Roo Rooter :E :ok:

sport
18th Apr 2004, 22:24
I think go for it, more aircraft more positions.

Ah Lumbaroo
20th Apr 2004, 13:31
You pellas just waite til dose gig red plash ones start rac'in you up north!!........soon, berry berry soon!!

Stick Pusher
30th Apr 2004, 13:11
Well the second F100 is now in oz (FNJ). Arrived today in Perth and looks mint!!! :ok: :ok: (Final tail finish to come). Very nice choice, great finish inside and out, an excellent example. Pax will definitely enjoy it, huge leg room.

Cheers,

SP

SkySista
1st May 2004, 13:48
Darn... you beat me to it! :p

Saw her early this morning out at the XR engineering hangar, was shortly joined by FNA - made a nice pair. Had my camera handy but that fence does get in the way ;)

As SP says, just needs the star/lens flare to be finished but still looks lovely as is.

Will look great with two of them next to all those red Virgins :p

Sky