PDA

View Full Version : UAS Selection

Port Strobe
4th Sep 2003, 06:40
I have a question about UAS selection. If you tell the UAS you want to be a WSO do you get any flying training or is it exclusively for pilots? I've yet to ascertain whether or not a WSO gets flying training in the RAF, all the material I've read points to no but I can't think why they'd put a guy (or girl) in the back seat of a Tornado for example that doesn't know how to fly it at a basic level at least surely? But my main question is re the UAS.

Thanks for your time.

Alf Aworna
4th Sep 2003, 08:15
You do know there's not normally a stick in the back seat? Just checking.

noprobs
4th Sep 2003, 17:12
A potential WSO does get to do some piloting on a UAS. The first part of the flying course is the same as for pilots, up to the first solo. After that, WSOs just fly dual.

Beware that the RAF requirement for WSOs is limited right now, so you may wish to check on the prospects, through an AFCO, before you go along committed to this single course.

Port Strobe
5th Sep 2003, 03:16
Thanks for the replies guys. AA, I meant from the point of view so that a WSO at least has an idea what the guy up front is doing and why. I didn't know it was all dual after 1st solo, but that makes sense, thanks for that. Whilst I'm on the topic of UAS selection can I just ask one more quick question please? Is the medical up to the same standards as the full RAF? I'm just curious as to the extent of it since if you relaxed the standards for UAS someone might not be able to do the real deal after UAS, so are the tolerances the same (eyesight, hearing, fitness etc)?

Cheers.

Spacer
5th Sep 2003, 03:27
When I joined (3 years ago) all wanabee aircrew went to Cranwell and did the part 1 medical, so I presume that the eyesight standards are exactly the same. Tonks, do you know any more??

G-AMMY
5th Sep 2003, 06:31
The UAS medical for aircrew consists of the RAF Pt 1 Medical. You only go for the part 2 when going through OASC for a Bursary, Direct Entry etc. As far as I am aware, the medical requirements are exactly the same as direct entry in to the RAF. (Not through a UAS) There is no fitness test either in the UAS selection.

Jordan D
5th Sep 2003, 15:50
Are all the medicals done at RAFC Cranwell? If so, its one hell of a hike down from Edinburgh!

Jordan

Cyclone733
6th Sep 2003, 03:59
The UAS medicals are taken at OASC Cranwell, transport normally provided by the UAS. Medical standards equal to that of RAF direct entrants, but only part 1 (basic medical, hearing and eye tests) as already mentioned.

If you can get in as a pilot on the UAS it is the better option as the NAV syllabus only gives you one solo flight.

On a lighter note the UAS Nav training counts for nothing, unlike the pilots side which is your EFT, so stake out your place at the bar and laugh at the unfortunates who have to perform (airborne) in the morning.

Port Strobe
8th Sep 2003, 05:53
Thanks for the answers guys, been most helpful.

Jordan D
8th Sep 2003, 16:16
Ditto, thanks for your advice .... I'm hoping to get in as a pilot entry.

Jordan

Tonkenna
9th Sep 2003, 15:07
PS,

I am afraid that there is no Nav flying training on the UAS. Sorry.

Tonks

bighedsmallface
9th Sep 2003, 23:59
Jordan D...................."it's a long way from Edinburgh".

Better get used to it if you want to join up!:{

Jordan D
10th Sep 2003, 01:32
I think if I get half the chance, distance won't matter a jot!

Jordan

Tonkenna
12th Sep 2003, 03:45
Further to may last. The medical standards are the same as the RAF, so for UAS pilot you have to pass the RAF pilot standard. All medicals are done at Cranwell and you will be bused down. Deatails if you pass the interview (the hard bit). Note that you will also have to take the appitude tests as well while at Cranwell.

Alas there is no WSO syllabus anymore though you will probably fly if you have a WSO bursary (but don't quote me on that as I haven't heard for sure). WSO members of the UAS will most likely be seen as the same as ground members ie the odd trip when the programme allows, but not as instructional sorties as such.

Not good news for some I am sure, but I guess we don't need as many WSOs as we once did.

Tonks

Pse note this does not imply official policy, so don't quote me.

Port Strobe
12th Sep 2003, 06:10
Thanks for taking the time to post that Tonkenna, I know it's not gospel though but I know what you're getting at.

Cheers

kippermate
13th Sep 2003, 01:52
Further to Tonks' last post, there are still a few WSOs being recruited. The country's premier UAS has a WSO bursar starting in Sep. I intend to fly him on the old Nav syllabus until told otherwise.

Tonkenna
13th Sep 2003, 05:33
Indeed kippermate, we are the same, but WSO bursars are few and far between. I guess you don't have an answer either. Still, 14 days to go :D .

While I am here though, best of luck to all those applying to the UASs this year.

Tonks :)

Jordan D
13th Sep 2003, 15:51
Tonkenna - are you still planning on being at the Edinb Uni Freshers' Fair?

Jordan

Tonkenna
15th Sep 2003, 03:35
Sadly I will not be there, which is a shame as I do enjoy the Ed fair as I will be busy packing the house ready for my move. You will meet most of the crew there though. Good luck.

Tonks

Jordan D
16th Sep 2003, 15:41
Shame you won't be there, but I'm looking forward to it!

Jordan