PDA

View Full Version : Thieves at Kemble

bugdevheli
4th Sep 2003, 05:02
On Sunday 31 Aug, at the Kemble Heli Fly-In, someone with an R22 had their petrol cap stolen. I happened to have one with me and lent it to them so that they could fly out. (I'm still waiting for the phone call so that you can return it fellas). I feel sure that it would not be another pilot or indeed passenger in any of the other machines present, as they woud realise the possible consequences. However, as the general public were allowed a period to walk round the machines, it does raise the question as to how vigilant one needs to be. I recall a year or so ago, an Apache at Weston Helidays had one of its instrument glasses smashed during the public viewing. Has anyone else had stuff nicked of their helis, anywhere, anytime?

t'aint natural
4th Sep 2003, 05:21
It's worth pointing out that it's very easy to leave the fuel filler cap off an R22. I've seen people take the cap off, dip the fuel, then put the dipstick back under the seat and forget to put the cap back on. It sits there right next to the hole until you take off, and bye-bye filler cap. I had a friend of mine (ahem) do that.
Early models of the R22 had a chain attaching the filler cap, but it was soon discontinued. The reason I heard was because if you left the cap off it would be ripped away in the cruise and might foul the tail rotor. Far better to have it fall off on take-off.
That said, there are a lot of light-fingered bastards about. The helicopter museum at Weston used to allow visitors free access to their exhibits until the instruments started going missing. People used to turn up with screwdrivers to do a proper job.

ShyTorque
4th Sep 2003, 06:20
Ex-colleague of mine once had a Verey pistol and 6 signal cartridges stolen during a static display in a Puma.

The Squadron Boss really flared up when he found out..... :*

PPRUNE FAN#1
4th Sep 2003, 09:21
Shy Torque wrote:Ex-colleague of mine once had a Verey pistol and 6 signal cartridges stolen during a static display in a Puma.

The Squadron Boss really flared up when he found out..... Well, he wouldn't have if the PIC hadn't been shooting his mouth off about it...

Spot 4
4th Sep 2003, 16:26
After a night stop at Nice / France, I was met the next morning by Airport Police and reprimanded because they had tried the doors of my helicopter to find one door insecure (Locked but with a ****e catch). Informed that even though it is a major airport, theft of avionics `black boxes` was rife. Especially it seems from bizjets. I was parked with said bizjets.

leemind
4th Sep 2003, 20:05
I went to Kemble and I when we got there the members of the public were nicely screened off, but then when they were let loose to prod the aircraft with their greasy mitts I was a little suprised... Fortunaltely I don't think anything went missing from my aircraft...

Nice flight, but a little disappointing turnout I thought...

Regards

PS. First post for me!

rotorboater
5th Sep 2003, 00:10
I was at Kemble as well and I was quite surprised that the great unwashed were allowed so close to all our machines, they were only a few feet away when I was landing (they obviously have a lot of confidence in me;) ) There were a lot of marshals around earlier on but these seemed to disperse and leave the spectators to their own means.
I have no problem with the way it was organised but I didn't expect my heli to be an exhibit and be touched etc,
I found the pitot tube bent when I pre flighted it and I am sure it was OK when I last looked at it and I am not accusing anybody of anything but some of the general public seemed really surprised how fragile these things are, I know this because I caught one bending in the engine cover panel!
Next time I go to a fly in, I would prefer to be left alone from the public, pilots are fine, they understand that these things are delicate (even plank drivers) but your average ham fisted thug could easily cause a lot of damage or worse!
Rant over:O
RB

Genghis the Engineer
6th Sep 2003, 01:55
At Cranfield you use to need a separate pass to get at the aircraft, freely issued to pilots on arrival but otherwise you had to pay extra, which tended to keep the idly curious (and their kids!) behind barriers.

At one PFA rally, I was sat at my stand quietly editing an error-ridden draft of some technical document or other. I left it on the table whilst I went to the loo, and when I came back somebody had nicked it - so they got some free bad advice and welcome to it, created work for me though.

G