PDA

View Full Version : Barotrauma

Wee Ali
4th Sep 2003, 03:43
Have just returned to flying again after a year away. Thrilled to be back,but on several descents I have had real problems with very severe pain in my right ear which has been quite incapacitating & so painful I almost vomited! Had only very minimal hayfever symptoms before setting off & would never be so daft as to go flying with full-blown URTI symptoms.
For obvious reasons have been very reluctant to self medicate & have only used beclomethasone nasal spray to try & alleviate things. I would be very grateful if any of you could advise me on how to treat/prevent!
Tympanic membrane is still in one piece, still having slight problems with serous otitis media, three weeks on. Otherwise well,but worried that will not be able to fly alone in case it happens again.
Thanks, Wee Ali:)

Bad medicine
4th Sep 2003, 12:52
See your AME before you go flying again to make sure that the Otitis Media has completely settled. If it was due to hayfever, a non-sedating antihistamine like Claratyne might be useful, but make sure you don't take the first one just before you go flying (they do cause sedation in some susceptible individuals).

Make sure that your ears equalise easily and equally before you fly.

Also, it may be worth getting some decongestant nasal spray (Otrivin, Drixine, etc) to keep in your nav bag as an EMERGENCY get-you-down measure. Not to be used to go flying, and not to be used regularly (as these can cause rebound congestion).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

BM